REMY & Bruichladdich - Products no longer available in the US via KLWines New...

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm most bummed that Octomore will no longer be available!

Remy’s corporatization of Bruichladdich is finally upon us – We’ve all been wondering when the Remy buyout of indy-darling Bruichladdich distillery was going to really show its true nature. That time is here. We heard from WineBow this week (Bruichladdich’s American importer for the last decade) and it appears that their contract has been terminated. Remy will be taking over the importation from this point on. That may not seem like bad news to many of you, but it’s another long relationship thrown aside in the name of higher profits.

Oh……and this might make you a bit upset as well:

-Bruichladdich Rocks and Port Charlotte Peat Project will be discontinued effective immediately (we bought every last bottle we could)

-Bruichladdich “The Laddie†10 year/PC 10 year will become allocated items and will take a price increase

-Bruichladdich “Organic†(maybe my favorite selection from the distillery) will no longer be available in the U.S. – travel retail only

-Bruichladdich “Octomore†will no longer be sold in the U.S. – duty free only.

-Bruichladdich Botanist Gin will take a $10 price increase per bottle

Hooray for corporate takeovers! No more Rocks! No more Port Charlotte Peat Project! More expensive Laddie, PC10, and Botanist! And the two best whiskies they make will only be available outside of the United States! Whoopie!!

I wonder what Jim McEwan is thinking right now? Our old spirits buyer Susan Purnell is probably weeping somewhere.

That being said, what’s left is left. If you’re a fan of the Rocks or the Peat Project, start stocking up. We’re expecting the latest (and now last) drop of Octomore 6.1 Bere Barley to arrive shortly, so you might want to squirrel one of those away as well.

Edited by ChainWhip

Well, I'm glad I bought bottles of Organic, Rocks, PC10 ("heavily peated") and the Peat Project a few months ago. However, once I open them I'm afraid I'll really like them and want more :(

Octomore #2 - $132 OTD

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16909[/ATTACH]

Oh man, my wife would love a bottle of that. We have only tried it once at a Seattle bar (Liberty) and it was quite tasty. I even enjoyed it and I can't stand the medicinal peated scotches (ie Laphroaig). She compared it to drinking a campfire... which seemed pretty apt. I may have to get a bottle before they become even more limited in availability.

For all of you Laddie lovers, here's another picture with some prices. Basically take 5% off the price and that's the price out the door with this sale (15% off, but 10% MN liquor/sales tax). Sorry about the blurriness, but it was my phone and I was in a hurry. They have a PC7 that would be about $160 OTD too in the glass case. I'm here to help...

post-8457-1448981998965_thumb.jpg

post-8457-14489819988748_thumb.jpg

post-8457-14489819989206_thumb.jpg

post-8457-14489819988748_thumb.jpg

post-8457-14489819989206_thumb.jpg

post-8457-1448981998965_thumb.jpg

Holy Hell, what a selection!

my thoughts exactly.

ton of laddie 10 and rocks around here....for now (though not with prices that nice.)

my thoughts exactly.

ton of laddie 10 and rocks around here....for now (though not with prices that nice.)

And remember, the sale is 15% off those prices. :)

What store is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K&L Wines is a store out in California with the main location in Redwood, CA near San Francisco with branches in SF and LA. They apparently sell a lot of scotch among other things via the internet (to those states it can ship to) and do a lot of private barrel whisky.

The Spirits Journal by David Driscoll, K&L Spirits Buyer (who is also an occasional poster here), often has an interesting take on the biz as well as the latest happenings in the store.

What store is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The store in the photos is called Top Valu and is in the Twin Cities area. They have a single malt sale in Nov and take 15% every single malt. I've stocked up and have helped some others do the same. :)

The store in the photos is called Top Valu and is in the Twin Cities area. They have a single malt sale in Nov and take 15% every single malt. I've stocked up and have helped some others do the same. :)

Yes... yes you have "helped" others, though my wife and CC may disagree with using the term "helped" ;)

Yes... yes you have "helped" others, though my wife and CC may disagree with using the term "helped" ;)

My wife likes the tequila, but not so much the whiskey...so she's not all that thrilled about stocking up either. At least I have plenty of tequila for her. :D

Sorry, thought you were refering to the store in the title of the thread. But if you meant the pictures then I defer to Max as I had no idea which store it was.

My wife likes the tequila, but not so much the whiskey...so she's not all that thrilled about stocking up either. At least I have plenty of tequila for her. :D

Mines the opposite, does not like tequila but loves whiskey, the peatier the better. Hence the request for the Octomore, that will be a birthday present for her :D

Mines the opposite, does not like tequila but loves whiskey, the peatier the better. Hence the request for the Octomore, that will be a birthday present for her :D

It's threads like these that remind me to be thankful that Mrs. Brisko is fond of cheap Rieslings and not much else.:cool:

Out on the hunt yesterday after work, I found a few of these I mentioned in "bought" thread yesterday. From what I could gather, Bruichladdich is not found very common in these parts. A couple of store owners said it was already considered a "near-allocated" product here. I see in this thread where there are larger inventories in other parts of the country. So, probably just a regional thing as TN I'm sure is not one of the 'hotter' markets for single malt in the U.S. Anyhow, I was motivated by the scarcity to buy what I found...maybe I'm just the kind of reactionary buyer the corporations enjoy motivating by their decisions. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Any update here...new info? I've noticed Laddie 10s have been scarcer in my area. However, some of that is likely due to Christmas gift giving. I've been doing some online shopping...got of few of this and that.

The only news I've been able to find is here:

http://www.bruichladdich.com/news/whisky-releases/laddie-travel-retail-exclusives

Reading between the lines, I think this clarifies a bit of the K&L post. My interpretation is that most of their cask strength and/or ACE whiskies are going away from normal retail. For instance, it appears as though the Octomore X.1 releases will still make it to the U.S., just not the ACE'd X.2 releases. It looks like the NORMAL Port Charlotte releases will continue to be available in the U.S., albeit at a higher price point (I think MD has seen that prince increase already . . . 8 months ago Port Charlotte The Peat Project was $45, now it's $55-$65). If anyone in the DC/VA/MD area is really worried about losing access to Bruichladdich, PM me, as I know where several of the releases have been languishing on shelves for a year or more. Specifically PC7, 10 (non cask strength release), a couple of the Black Arts releases, and 1973. I also know where there is a lonely bottle of Octomore 2.2 sitting around, but I think it's going home with me tomorrow. That or the 6.1. I think I actually have seen some IBs of Bruichladdich laying around, too.

I personally have mixed feelings about Bruichladdich, as their Port Charlotte expressions haven't done it for me the way Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 and CS, and Lagavulin 12/16 do. I've had Octomore 4.1 and 5.1, and really enjoyed them both. I haven't had a chance to sample their regular lineup yet. Maybe I will pick up a bottle or two of their unpeated lineup so I can compare it to the 1973 release my wife got me for my birthday this year.

Edited by garbanzobean

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.