Bourbon extract?

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Greetings all,

You may think this a strange request but a good friend of mine can't drink anymore. He sorely misses the taste of bourbon (Jim Beam) and I would like to know if there is such a thing as bourbon extract. I would like nothing more than to surprise him with a non-alcoholic but bourbon-tasting drink the next time he drops by.

Thanks,

Bill

Check your local home brew supplier. Many carry a variety of concentrates for making grain neutral spirits taste like a variety of liquors, from bourbon to Kahlua. I have no idea what you will get if you combine "essence of bourbon" with water instead of GNS, but it might taste at least a little bit like bourbon.

If he liked Jim Beam, at least you don't have too high of a mark to hit.

--Chuck Cowdery

Bill,

You might also try taking a pint or so of Jim Beam, pouring it into a saucepan (preferably glass, to protect the taste) and simmering it for a long while to evaporate the alcohol. That might either weaken or concentrate the taste, depending on how much of the flavor comes from volatile, easily vaporized compounds and how much would be left as water evaporates from the whiskey. If he doesn't like it, you could still use it for flavoring barbecue sauce, ice cream syrup, pies, baked beans, etc. (see the bourbon and food section). Good luck!

Ralph Wilps

• 5 years later...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Greetings all,

You may think this a strange request but a good friend of mine can't drink anymore. He sorely misses the taste of bourbon (Jim Beam) and I would like to know if there is such a thing as bourbon extract. I would like nothing more than to surprise him with a non-alcoholic but bourbon-tasting drink the next time he drops by.

Thanks,

Bill

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.