WT101 Rye Returns?

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Isn't Russell's Reserve 6 the same stuff only 90 proof?

It is likely the same mashbill. But it is older (I think 101 is generally just barely 4yo when released) and theoretically could be getting pulled from different warehouse locations/different warehouses which could certainly create a different profile. They taste a bit different to me as the RR is bit richer and less rough and tumble which I suppose is kind of the calling card of the 101. Which Is not to say the RR 6yo is meek. Plenty of rye earthiness, just a little under proofed.

• 4 weeks later...

So what did you think? I saw it on the shelf for the first time this weekend, but passed on it.

20150103_111955.jpg

Nice to finally get a bottle of this!

My first impression is it's a little rough around the edges and not terribly complex. Still, I like its bad attitude. It was good enough and cheap enough that I stocked up a few bottles in case it disappears again.

This has become one of my favorite ryes. I bought a bottle when it reappeared based on the reputation here, I hadn't seen any since and my bottle was almost empty. The shop I frequent just got a couple cases and I had the good timing to be able to pick up another bottle. Now I can enjoy the last bit in my old bottle without the pain of not knowing when I would be able to drink more.

It's becoming one of my favorite ryes too. I keep returning to it over the others.

Growing on me as well and I like the 1 liter bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

Really good Rye, and a good value. Runs $35 a liter down here. I hope they have some honey barrels set back because I would love to sample this with lots more age on it. They could call it "Russel's Family Reserve Rye".

I ran across this in Atlanta this weekend but passed at $38 for a 750 ML bottle. Is that the norm?

I ran across this in Atlanta this weekend but passed at $38 for a 750 ML bottle. Is that the norm?
Yes. You should buy it.

If it was a 750ml then it is likely the older WT101 rye. $38 is more like the price of the new version which, at least to this point, has been sold exclusively in 1 liter bottles. If you have not had the older stuff it might make for a nice comparison to the new bottle but that is a pretty steep mark up for the old bottle which typically sold in the low to mid 20's.

But ultimately it is your call about how much you feel comfortable spending on it!

Whoa, the 750 ML bottle is definitely the old and is a dusty. You need to pick that up and do a sbs with the new version.

I like the new but the old one I really, really like. Seems to have more spice and doesn't taste as young as the new one.

Glad to see that this product is back (even at a higher price point/ larger format). I grabbed several bottles of this when I could for cocktails and occasional neat sipping. A lot more interesting than Baby Saz for neat sipping and better in a cocktail as well IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

Since WT 101 rye is in short supply, wouldn't it have made sense for them to release it in standard 750ml bottles? The 1l bottle is only going to mean even fewer bottles on shelves.

I bought my first 1L of this....and I'm super happy. It's just as good to my palette as the old 101 was, though it is more spendy, since it's $40 here in LA for 1L.....call it $27 for a 750ml, which is about $5 more than it used to be......but whatever, it's great!

While I like the WT101 Rye, it has not replaced my go-to cocktail rye, Rittenhouse 100 BIB.

And if I'm gonna drink it neat, it needs to be a bit less raw that Ritt or WT. Something like Angel's Envy port-finish or Midsummer's Night Dram (though obviously these are more expensive).

At the roughly the same price point, I think Baby Saz is a better sipping rye than WT101. But hey, something a bit different than the usual is always fun.

Fewer on shelves but more in bars/restaurants.

No, not really. 1L vs 750ml bottles means 33% fewer bottles anywhere and everywhere. Shelves, bars, restaurants, there are 33% fewer bottles on the market for an equal volume of rye.

While I like the WT101 Rye, it has not replaced my go-to cocktail rye, Rittenhouse 100 BIB.

And if I'm gonna drink it neat, it needs to be a bit less raw that Ritt or WT. Something like Angel's Envy port-finish or Midsummer's Night Dram (though obviously these are more expensive).

At the roughly the same price point, I think Baby Saz is a better sipping rye than WT101. But hey, something a bit different than the usual is always fun.

Did a sbs with these two last night and while I do enjoy the WT it's not as spicy as the RITT and is at a higher price. I'll continue to buy some but RITTBIB is my go to rye.

No, not really. 1L vs 750ml bottles means 33% fewer bottles anywhere and everywhere. Shelves, bars, restaurants, there are 33% fewer bottles on the market for an equal volume of rye.

What I believe Squire meant (and may he correct me if I'm wrong) is that bars tend to preferentially buy the 1L size, due to it being easier to count and report inventory in Liters when each bottle = 1L. Therefore packaging in 1L sizes is part of marketing to the on-premise customer base. Therefore, more in bars due to it being their preferred bottling format, and fewer on shelves for the reason just given AND your bottle volume observation.

• 1 year later...

I've never been a fan of Wild Turkey but picked up a bottle last night and really enjoyed it. At $28/liter it might replace Ritt100 in my bunker.

^^^^@ $28 per liter, I'd never have to buy another rye! 

It's been a dad-gum unicorn around here, and when I finally did find it, I think it was $41-2 ish...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.