Good "Makers v Fakers' Article in Dallas Observer

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Like most people, I like it when people agree with me and spell my name right, but even beyond that I think this is a particularly good article about craft distilleries, micro producers, and transparency. It's long but worth reading. It's in the Dallas Observer and so the focus is on Texas-based producers, but it's all applicable to everywhere. I also like that she's not afraid to step on toes when it's necessary.

Here's the link again in case you missed it above.

Thanks for the link, Chuck....er, "Charles." As a Texas booze nerd, I get tired of the shameless pandering to our Texas pride by some producers. I feel I've got a handle on Balcones and Garrison on the one hand, and F&R and Rebecca Creek on the other hand. But there's now so much TX-flag waving in the local whiskey aisle, that I'm losing patience with sussing out what's legit among the newer brands, such as Herman Marshall. Hopefully, the Observer article will encourage my fellow Texan buyers to do their due diligence pre-purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great article and the comments by that guy Wade Woodard are spot on :.)

My favorite part of article is where Rebecca Creek Spirit Whiskey owner tries to defend his use of GNS by inferring its a common practice by majority of all whiskey producers. Author follows this with quote from Chuck, which sets the record straight.

I wish she would have also included a link to Chuck's blog post about Spirit Whiskey.

Good article, would like to see more like that. Texas heritage is too important to be put on a bottle of fake whisky.

• 1 month later...
Good article, would like to see more like that. Texas heritage is too important to be put on a bottle of fake whisky.

Working on a website to help clear up the confusion...

www.TxSpiritsGeek.com

Great website, Andy, very useful resource. As Eskwar mentioned, so many new shop are taking advantage of Texans' pride. It'll be good to police this trend, even though most people probably won't know (or even care), at least at first. But hopefully over time consumers will be educated.

Great website, Andy, very useful resource.

Thanks! It's still pretty young and evolving, but I hope folks find it useful. Looking to get Balcones and Graham Barnes (aka Treaty Oak) on there next.

Texans are fully acceptive and supportive of their fellow citizens producing a local product but as consumers don't take kindly to being bamboozled.

Texans are fully acceptive and supportive of their fellow citizens producing a local product but as consumers don't take kindly to being bamboozled.

I think this goes for every state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great article! Thanks for sharing. I hate watching folks pick these "Texas" spirits off the shelves and paying premium prices for nothing more than marketing BS

I'm losing patience with sussing out what's legit among the newer brands

The easiest way to tell is just look at the producer statement on back of the bottle. Does it say distilled by, or something else?

I think this goes for every state.

No offense, but it isn't the same. People that don't live in Texas usually don't get it..but ask someone that has moved to Texas from another state. They will tell you they never understood what the big deal was until after you have lived here for a while. Winning your independence by fighting for it and then existing as your own country (and also many other thing) creates an inherit DNA that you just can't recreate elsewhere.

Spec's should be shamed of themselves by pushing 1835 Bourbon as Texas bourbon....

My sister lived in TX for a few yrs. She didn't understand what the big deal was before and was even less certain of it after. Couldn't wait to get back home to KY!

My sister (from Texas) went to college in California and hung a big state flag in her dorm that people didn't understand. She would say to me, "Nobody here GETS it."

Coincidentally, I became friends with a guy who moved from Cali to TX and during a commercial break of a hoops game we were watching, he observed, "Dude, the ads here are as much about the state of Texas as they are the product."

Last one: we think it's perfectly normal to have taken a required Texas History class in middle school, but I mentioned this in passing to my wife once and she laughed. Apparently New Jersey History class was not mandatory for her.

The easiest way to tell is just look at the producer statement on back of the bottle. Does it say distilled by, or something else?

My sister lived in TX for a few yrs. She didn't understand what the big deal was before and was even less certain of it after. Couldn't wait to get back home to KY!

The fellow Old Ags will get this.. "Highway 6 runs both ways"

TEXAS!!!!!! Get's shoved down your throat everywhere you go. That's probably part of the reason she felt that way.

No offense, but it isn't the same. People that don't live in Texas usually don't get it..but ask someone that has moved to Texas from another state. They will tell you they never understood what the big deal was until after you have lived here for a while. Winning your independence by fighting for it and then existing as your own country (and also many other thing) creates an inherit DNA that you just can't recreate elsewhere.

Vermont and California were sovereign nations too. I've lived here for over a decade now and still "don't get it."

Vermont and California were sovereign nations too. I've lived here for over a decade now and still "don't get it."

Actually, I thought the following quote reflected the American revolution. "Winning your independence by fighting for it and then existing as your own country (and also many other thing) creates an inherit DNA that you just can't recreate elsewhere." It's all good though. I actually understand what he is saying. Everyone has a sense of pride in their heritage and Texas has a great heritage.

Ha!

To be fair she is a contrary b!tch.

Folks in Atlanta (an incredibly transient city) have a similar saying for those who long for their homes and ways up North, with a saying based on the long-time tag-line of homegrown Delta Airlines. "Delta is ready when you are!" :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.