BOTM 12/13: J.W. Dant BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a 1L BIB, it seems that the older versions were far superior.  I won't let that influence my judgement when I crack my bottle open.  Anybody been sipping on the current version?

I tried some maybe a couple months ago.  I thought it was pretty good.  It's sort of an old standby for me.  If you like the standard Heaven Hill mash bill, I think you'll like it.  :)

I bought a bunch of dusty 750s for around $10 apiece some time back.  No idea how old they actually were, probably less than 6 or 7 years old.   After getting into the first bottle, I went back for all they had.  I wish it was more common around here, it would be a hard one to beat even at the $11-13 it seems to go for when I do see it.  When I finally consume all of it, I suppose I'll have to endeavor to persevere as I fall back to EWBIB :D

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎40‎:‎29‎, Golzee said:

Picked up a 1L BIB, it seems that the older versions were far superior.  I won't let that influence my judgement when I crack my bottle open.  Anybody been sipping on the current version?

The older versions of everything you can't get anymore are always far superior.  I would really like you to crack open that bottle and tell us what you think. I was behind a fellow in line at Liquor Barn who was buying two cases. Now, a commitment like that might influence my judgment. Maybe just a little, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually picked up a 1.75L a month ago, though I'm yet to open it. Wouldn't normally buy something that big without having at least sampled it, but I was in a good mood and I think was priced at like $19 or so. Not going to be the end of the world if I don't like it.

2 hours ago, atbat82 said:

I actually picked up a 1.75L a month ago, though I'm yet to open it. Wouldn't normally buy something that big without having at least sampled it, but I was in a good mood and I think was priced at like $19 or so. Not going to be the end of the world if I don't like it.

$19 for a handle of 100 proof 4-year-old straight bourbon whiskey is hard to beat any way you slice it.

I had a bottle of dusty, pre-fire HH  Dant a few years ago and thought it tasted like rancid corn oil. The current version is much better. 

A year or two ago at the gazebo, someone brought a bottle of dusty Dant that had been in a pool hall so long the white label was stained nicotine yellow.  Does anyone remember what DSP(s) that was from?  It was delicious!

37 minutes ago, TheNovaMan said:

A year or two ago at the gazebo, someone brought a bottle of dusty Dant that had been in a pool hall so long the white label was stained nicotine yellow.  Does anyone remember what DSP(s) that was from?  It was delicious!

This might not be the bottle you're talking about Pete, but BourbonJoe brought this one last April. One of the most memorable bourbon's I've had

WP_20150422_001[1].jpg

WP_20150422_003[1].jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2015, 12:43:46, Flyfish said:

The older versions of everything you can't get anymore are always far superior.  I would really like you to crack open that bottle and tell us what you think. I was behind a fellow in line at Liquor Barn who was buying two cases. Now, a commitment like that might influence my judgment. Maybe just a little, anyway.

I opened my bottle last night and it was delicious.  May be my favorite BIB that I have tried so far.  Carmel sweetness with some oak.  If you like BIB, then pick up a bottle.

On 1/6/2016, 8:47:53, Vosgar said:

This might not be the bottle you're talking about Pete, but BourbonJoe brought this one last April. One of the most memorable bourbon's I've had

WP_20150422_001[1].jpg

WP_20150422_003[1].jpg

That's from the actual Dant distillery in Gethsemane, from before HH owned it. I'll bet it was quite some juice there! 

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.