BOTM 12/13: J.W. Dant BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

IMHO - The bottles labeled DSP 113 and bottled at DSP 113 or CA 14 Fresno California are excellent. Fruity and complex. The 2/16 is a good and a worthy pick up. I think the descriptions that have been posted of the current juice are accurate and table Bourbon suits.

Is it fair to describe Dant as Heaven Hill's Ancient Age? Both decent if not overly impressive value priced pours. Both seem to have most of the basic characteristics that the distillery is known for. Which you prefer is down to the individual palate.

More noted perhaps for what it isn't (high price fancied up) than what it is, I wonder if 10 years from now we might be talking about the good old days when you could get a BIB for $10.99 a bottle.

I've had some 113/113 that was just vile, ended up dumping the small bottle for drain cleaner and felt bad for the drain.... ;) I like your comparison Sailor and the term table bourbon.

I've had some 113/113 that was just vile, ended up dumping the small bottle for drain cleaner and felt bad for the drain.... ;)

Have never had one that was labeled as 113/113 without the "or 14 Fresno California". I would say it may have been corked but they all I have seen have those old style metal screw tops under the tax strips. Shoot the next 113 you run across to me and I'll test it first....:grin:

The 113/113 was a 200ml, probably stored badly, but BalconesWinston, TimD, and I were in attendance when opened. I can't remember if it had Fresno, CA on it or not. A 375 from another store was very good, but bottled at a different distillery (can't remember, but I think it was Indiana 2?).

tasting notes from a 2/31, bottled around 1993: nose is sharp upon first pouring, glue, vanillas, and with air time it becomes caramel, vanilla, a touch of wood, and a hint of glue.

taste: nice balance of sweet, cinnamon red hots, and a touch of bitter. Coats your tongue nicely, cinnamons linger.

Finish: lingers beautifully, cinnamon tapers slowly, leaving a sweet finale. Satisfying comfort bourbon!

for $23 a liter, I'm a fan!

I completely forgot about a 200ml of DSP 113 Dant I had packed away. Got it out today for a little tasting. This one was bottled at DSP 16.

It's surprisingly woody on the nose and that note carries through on the palate. There's a nice hit of sweet creamed corn and a little spice in the background but not much else. The finish is very short aside from a faint candy sweetness that lingers for a bit. It's nothing stellar, but would make for a decent daily drinker if it were still around.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have a bottle of 2/16 opened for over 6 months now. It has what looks to be a tax stamp on the shoulder of the bottle. I was impressed with it when I first opened it. I just haven't revisited it in a while. This thread would be great motivation for a revisit.

I have another bottle that I haven't opened but I know is a more recent bottle. I'll have to check what dsp numbers are on that bottle.

This is one that I enjoy as my everyday sipper. It's got a good, basic bourbon flavor and is very satisfying. Glad to have found it earlier this year.

Looks like I am going to have to buy a handle to try this. It's only available at one of my two weekly stops.

Passed on a bottle of this in Eugene earlier this week and wish that I wouldn't have. It was ~$13, one of the cheapest if not the cheapest bonded bourbon in our fine state.

Someday someone will do an epic blind side-by-side of all of the Heaven Hill BIBs. It would be fascinating.

I really enjoy Dant for what it is - affordable, quality everyday pour. I can't get it out here in California but I've ordered it online before. I can get EW BiB though, which I've been told is basically the same exact stuff, so I'll be drinking that instead for now. Cheers!

I have never been fortunate enough to have a dusty Dant, but I think the current Dant BIB is good stuff for the price.

Last summer I had some Dant BIB from the late 50's-early 60's. Warm buttery Carmel molasses bomb. I tried everything to get the guy who had it to give me the other two bottles. He wasn't interested. He just liked mixing that and the crown from the same era with a Sprite and Coke. I had nightmares for weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my first pour of this last night after dinner. WOW, OMG, this is might tasty Bourbon. Heavy on the caramel and to me a hint of cotton candy. I do love me some EWBIB & Henry Mck BIB so i guess I shouldn't be surprised. Ended up having numerous pours watching "Moonshiners" and I did sleep well.

Had my first pour of this last night after dinner. WOW, OMG, this is might tasty Bourbon. Heavy on the caramel and to me a hint of cotton candy. I do love me some EWBIB & Henry Mck BIB so i guess I shouldn't be surprised. Ended up having numerous pours watching "Moonshiners" and I did sleep well.

does it noticeably differ from EWBIB?

having had HH BIB white, HH BIB gold, and EW BIB white.....Im not seeing enough difference in the three that id pick one over the other, except price. I put EWBIB in between the other two, but in a blind tasting, im not sure I could distinguish the three very well

I found 3 liters of dusty Dant BIB 2/31 a few years ago at an old cash only package store, and got them for $8 each out the door tax included. Thought it was really good, but haven't opened another one in a good while. So I opened the second one last night right before dropping into chat, and it tastes just great, wish I had more in the bunker. Awhile back I also found a handle from DSP113 (can't recall the second number right now) with a tax strip that I got for $23.99, and after reading the mixed comments here about the 113 I'm curious to open it up and taste it, maybe before the holidays are over.

Glad I found this thread. I recently found a 1.75 litre of JW DANT BIB in an old liquor store. The tax stamp on the top is what caught my eye. Back label states DSP KY 113 DSP KY IND 2 . I'm still new to dustys so I'd love to hear if anyone has any info on where it was distilled & bottled? Bottom of the bottle states an 84'. Would that be accurate for dating the juice? Also would love to hear any flavor profiles it might have before i open it. regards

I'll echo what Sailor said about the 113's. Excellent, esp. for a 4 yr. old. This one was a 113/113. I also have a 200ml of 2/16, and while good, didn't have the mouthfeel as the 113 which was from 1978.

I've just found some 113/2, which is metal screw top from the early 80's. I'll report back after I do S/B/S of 113/113, 2/16, and 113/2. If you see any of 113's OTS they will not be expensive, and definitely, IMO, worth picking up.

does it noticeably differ from EWBIB?

having had HH BIB white, HH BIB gold, and EW BIB white.....Im not seeing enough difference in the three that id pick one over the other, except price. I put EWBIB in between the other two, but in a blind tasting, im not sure I could distinguish the three very well

4eye - soory to say the more I drank the less I liked. It was lamost like after opening all the flavor profiles changed and not in a good way.

Then HHBIB & the EWBIB are far superior to this to my palate.

Back label states DSP KY 113 DSP KY IND 2 .

113 is the current Buffalo Trace distillery, IND 2 is the current LDI distillery. I had a small bottle once, and it was really good, probably better than the 2/31 in my opinion. Been a while since I've had that one, so my memory is a little foggy on tasting notes.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.