For ChainWhip

chrisg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Super nice bottle, but they are gouging at retail. The bottle should be £1950 retail, less VAT for US buyers which is roughly £1625, or $2700.

Edited by LostBottle

Johnny, I noticed this thread was directed at you. You doing some hunting you didn't tell me about?

Edited by LostBottle

I so want that bottle. I'd delete the link because we typically don't like that on here, it's sort of promoting of a retailer without permission, but given the low price tag of that bottle I am not too concerned.

Should we alert ChainWhip's local banks about potential robberies? http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1147164

Oh man! I got pinged by half a dozen people about that bottle today - I guess I've been made and tagged as a 'Zawa slut...

All joking aside, I'd have to get a serious pay bump or win the lottery to afford that.

Edited by ChainWhip

Correction to my previous comment. The Diageo RRP of £1950 does not include VAT. UK buyers would pay roughly £2340 for the Lagavulin 37. American buyers would pay £1950, or around $3200. While the gap is a bit less, the bottle is still overpriced by about $1250.

Edited by LostBottle

Correction to my previous comment. The Diageo RRP of £1950 does not include VAT. UK buyers would pay roughly £2340 for the Lagavulin 37. American buyers would pay £1950, or around $3200. While the gap is a bit less, the bottle is still overpriced by about $1250.

I like how you make the assumption that it would be priced correctly at a mere $1950. I'm not saying your wrong, it's just that every once in a while I have to remind myself that what I'm buying is really just 25 ounces of consumable liquid. And that same liquid will literally be pissed away a few hours after consumption. I try to do that to bring things into perspective... so far all it's done is limit my bottles to the $250 and below range. Apparently I'm good with $10 an ounce ;)

I like how you make the assumption that it would be priced correctly at a mere $1950.

1950 GBP, so closer to $3200 at current exchange rates. The retail pricing for a bottle that old does not seem to be far out of line. I could be wrong, but trying to find a bottle at RRP seems to prove otherwise.

While the pricing makes us wince, there are people out there for whom it makes far less of an impact than us buying a $100 bottle. If they are selling at the rate they appear to be, then it is priced right, perhaps even too low. As I have stated before, I am sort of happy to see the price increase as much as it did. Instead of flippers profiting, it is good for us stockholders, and is also money Diageo can sink into capital projects like the planned expansion of Motlach.

Edited by LostBottle

1950 GBP, so closer to $3200 at current exchange rates. The retail pricing for a bottle that old does not seem to be far out of line. I could be wrong, but trying to find a bottle at RRP seems to prove otherwise.

While the pricing makes us wince, there are people out there for whom it makes far less of an impact than us buying a $100 bottle. If they are selling at the rate they appear to be, then it is priced right, perhaps even too low. As I have stated before, I am sort of happy to see the price increase as much as it did. Instead of flippers profiting, it is good for us stockholders, and is also money Diageo can sink into capital projects like the planned expansion of Motlach.

Good points. On the price I was taking your $3200 - the overpriced by $1250 = $1950.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.