Recommend a nice brandy

toddinjax
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Every once in a while I like a little brandy. My go to is Raynal vsop - very nice for $14. What do you like that won't break the bank?

Hine Rare & Delicate or Delamain Pale & Dry, neither are budget priced but if you want the real Cognac experience there's a fee for fishing in those waters.

Do you guys get Bardinet XO? Not bad for about $40 here.

My go to "cheap" cognac is Martell medallion, but thats still around $80 here. Glad I can without cognac, my budget doesnt allow for regular pours of the real good stuff.

• 1 month later...

Todd, not sure if you're US-based or not. If you are, Korbel brandy can't be beat for the price. Their brandy is aged in ex-Jack Daniels barrels and is a fantastic value for money, where it's available (most of the production goes to Wisconsin, as Chuck Cowdery has written on his blog). Other sources back this up.

They have a 12yo limited edition which is superb, but only available for shipping to California, unfortunately. It tastes more like a bourbon than a brandy because of the long aging in JD barrels... it's divine. I have stocked up on it.

E&J XO is also a fine pour. If "smooth" is what you're after, that defines the category for American brandy, and for no money at all.

Fangzilla seems to know his stuff. I am located in the land of supper clubs (MN & WI) where manhattans and old fashioneds are made with brandy. (gasp!) Here you can have any brandy you want as long as it is Korbel or E & J. In fact, in our liquor stores, if you want sweet vermouth you have to look next to the brandy. The hunting group I am in is split down the middle as far as the merits of Korbel vs. E & J. My favorite of both is the level with the VSOP designation. I am a bourbon guy but would never turn down a brandy poured by a friend at the hunting shack.

When it comes to fancy French brandies, Cognac and Armagnac, buyer definitely beware. I consider French brandy to be one of the most overpriced spirits out there, just as French Champagne is one of the most overpriced wines. There's good stuff to be had, but don't ignore other options unless you're made of money.

Paul Masson Grand Amber VSOP

That's a good recommendation. I can't find it here anymore, but I have tried it in the past. They mix American brandy with French brandy, and I found it very nice, especially for the price.

Thanks Fangzilla, I'm glad you like it. However I am very sorry you can't find it in your area. Come to Henderson, Ky and you will find plenty.

Paul Masson Grand Amber VSOP

My mom loves that stuff and she don't even drink. I'd say that is a recommendation in of itself.

I like Remy 1738.

The Paul Masson was the first brandy I tried last just last year. Nice change of pace from bourbon every once in awhile.

What does the Remy run where you are Zillah?

Paul Masson is aged in used Barton Barrels so there's some bourbon'y characteristics in it. Also it's a steal for ~$15.

• 1 month later...

Germain Robin makes excellent brandy. If you want cognac you can't go wrong with A.E. Dor. It seems that the craft distilleries do a better job than the big houses when it comes to brandy/cognac.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.