The worst Scotch ad ever.

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Problem is that each viewing of the ad gives them even more brand recognition.

Unless one makes a conscious decision NEVER to buy a bottle the memory of why you hated the ad will fade and the brand name will remain ... THAT is what the ad people want. To me, ignoring the ad is more effective than putting it all over the internet so more people click through.

Problem is that each viewing of the ad gives them even more brand recognition.

Unless one makes a conscious decision NEVER to buy a bottle the memory of why you hated the ad will fade and the brand name will remain ... THAT is what the ad people want. To me, ignoring the ad is more effective than putting it all over the internet so more people click through.

I'm pretty sure most everybody in the US who drinks whisky recognizes Dewar's.

If we as consumers find an ad offensive, we need to communicate that to the company. Simply ignoring it means they will just keep on doing what they are doing. There is such a thing as bad publicity.

Canadian Whisky Blogger Johanne McInnis has a petition going here http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-dewars-meet-the-baron-advertisement

Edited by Josh

The Dewar's "All Hail to the Drinking Man" campaign was already stupid, but it just got a whole lot stupider.

This ad makes "Give 'Em the Bird" seem witty. Meet the Baron.

http://youtu.be/LYgoVM4krao

I think the "All Hail to the Drinking Man" commercials are great. Well, Claire Forlani is great...and by great, I mean gorgeous. The rest of the commercial is pretty dumb, actually. Real dumb. Ok, Josh, I see your point. You win.

The lonely stranger "Give Em the Bird" commercials are pretty bad too, though.

I'm starting an online petition to stop all online petitions.

My outrage is being held in reserve for future use, whiskey bloggers needs be damned.

I don't mind the commercial. It doesn't override my informed consumer status, so I won't be ordering Dewar's. However, this ad would be effective if I was not a whiskey drinker, but I was looking to start drinking whiskey. It appeals to my love of adventure, the nightlife, and my desire for a mildly smarmy wingman with a taste for British autos and hefty blondes.

Seriously, what exactly don't you like about the ad? I can relate to this one more than your average Coors commercial where a band of bros are building a beautiful log cabin in some secluded sun kissed vale in the Rocky Mountains.

I'm not big on online petitions either, but I think her bit at the top of the petition page lays out her objections pretty well. Those are mine as well. Referring to the "hefty blonde" as a "hand grenade" is the most objectionable part.

That is well and truly horrible.

Well, the car is nice! Forlani ain't bad either. Ya gotta love a woman and can sneer and still be sexy.

Still, playing it for droll humor is a tricky business and often doesn't work. It certainly won't appeal to everybody! I am guessing for example that the female demographic really isn't there target...

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. On the other hand, the blonde man is clearly the worst type of person. Always in trouble, a weakling, and unable to handle himself. Even when he finds a woman that he finds unattractive approaching him in a sexually aggressive way, he visibly recoils. The commercial puts the viewer in his shoes, and leads him to aspire to the more admirable behavior of the Baron.

The Baron is strong, capable, and well-prepared. He treats all women with respect, and aside from his poor choice in friends, seems to be an decent gentleman.

What's this crap about me having to sign in? If they want me to participate in their marketing campaign I insist on being paid.

What's this crap about me having to sign in? If they want me to participate in their marketing campaign I insist on being paid.

YouTube was asking you to sign in? You should be able to see it without signing in.

A window pops up demanding I submit my email and join with a password to watch youtube ads intended for mature audiences.

Edited by squire

A window pops up demanding I submit my email and join with a password to watch youtube ads intended for mature audiences.

That's annoying. If anything, I'd say you're actually too mature for the ad.

I think it does a great job of hitting its target market.

Lol. Bros love commercials like this, it speaks to them, hotties, hand grenades, and wingmen. This what the 22-year-old former frat boy, recent grad, wishes their life would be like

I don't know, I work in advertising and this is pretty middling, conceptually. Not offensively bad, not inspired. Good production, as you would expect. The "hand-grenade" thing is in poor taste, objectively, but it's just the flip side of the cultural norms that play out in alcohol advertising. If there's a swedish bikini team, there's also Rebel Wilson in "Super Fun Night". Forward this to Jezebel and see if their perpetual-feminist-rage-machine can do a sloppy op-ed. That's the kind of righteous indignation I demand, you're taking it too easy on them.

I do like the tag line - You can't buy friends, but you can buy friends a drink. That's pretty choice.

That, the Heineken ads, all the tequila ones, the new ad w the smoke monster from Lost. They're all pretty much the same.

Alright Josh, since I do not wish to offend any member here I've edited that post. As for the teary eyed, ascot worshiping Mr Minnick the women I know don't need his condescending protection.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.