Blanton's Gold and Silver

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can anyone explain the difference between the Gold and Silver? I purchased some "Silver" a special bottling by Liquor Barn (the label on the neck identifies it as such)

The Silver is 98 Proof and the Gold is 103 Proof. They also produce a Special Reserve at 80 Proof (2 versions - One with a green label as is in Canada and one with a black label for Japan). Also produced is a Barrel Proof version which was first bottled last year. The proofs vary on these, but the ones I have are 132.4 proof. All are for export or duty free sale except for our 93 proof. You can find more info out at The Blantons Collection. Here's a pic of all 6 bottles...

post-87-14489811287686_thumb.jpg

Also, when you say you got it at Liquor Barn... When I was just in KY, they were selling the regular Blanton's in the Silver Edition octogonal boxes at liquor barn. My guess was Buffalo Trace ran out of those brown bags our regular Blanton's comes in so they stuck the regular Blanton's in the silver boxes. Trickery if you ask me haha, I immediately opened the box to see if they had inadvertantly gotten the wrong product. If your bottle is in fact a true silver edition (98 proof) and you got it at a liquor barn here in the US, you found a good find. It is supposed to be duty free only. Also, the actual duty free silver edition has a silver dipped horse on top (the gold does have a gold dipped horse) and the neck and middle bottle labels are silver foiled.

post-87-14489811287957_thumb.jpg

Given that you have all the NFL Maker's Mark bottles, do you also have all the horse positions (B-L-A-N-T-O-N-S) for Blantons?

Thanks Mark, Looks like I got duped (I have the regular edition, which was packaged in a silver box as per your photo) I did, however, go with a unique jockey position on the cork.

post-346-14489811288185_thumb.jpg

Yeah, there's a pic of them on my website in the collection section (I redid the site adding a 'How bourbon is made section... Hey I was bored haha). I also have a barrel stave (from a blantons barrel) to display them in.

Looks like you have the 'B' horse position. There are 8 unique positions spelling out BLANTONS. Each position is a different stride from beginning to end of a race. First the rider sitting upright and the last is him with his arm raised in the air in the "I won" position haha. Here's a pic of them since CL asked about the stoppers in a previous post...

post-87-14489811288353_thumb.jpg

Doesn't everyone who toured BT have the whole set. They had a big basket of them in the gift shop with a "Take One" label on it. I finished out my set. These were apparently refills or label screwups that were dumped for refill and they couldn't reuse the corks. I now need to get the barrel stave stand.

We were like kids in a candy store. "Who needs an N? Is it the one with two dots or the plain one? I need the one with two dots. I found it.)

What fun.

falling.gif

Yeah, many who were there probably have full sets now, but I had a full one some time ago and thanks to Buffalo Trace's generosity I now have another (and after opening 2 more bottles I have that are sealed) will have a 3rd.

What a great donation for a door prize at next year's Gazebo. You're too generous.

blush.gif

I was thinking $50 on eBay wink.gif There was a set posted some months back and it was getting bids all the way up to $75... It never did sell though, the guy apparently had a higher reserve than that which is nuts if you ask me...

Hmmmm. Methinks I have seen thst black label Blantons bottle before. . .

Tom (BTW what does one have to do to get one of them barrel staves) C

lol.gif Yes I, and a few lucky others, do have Tom to thank for grabbing those Japanese Black label bottles when his local ABC store got lucky off a "boo-boo". The staves Tom as far as I know, were given to some liquor stores along with the stoppers in em' for display purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.