Whisky Advocate Distillery of the Year?

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was anyone else a bit disappointed by the selection of Diageo as "Distillery" of the year on Whiskey Advocate?

http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2013/12/23/whisky-advocate-award-distiller-of-the-year/

Putting aside what one might think of Diageo in general they are a multinational beverage company and not a distiller as I would be inclined to define them. I get what the article was saying but would still like to see the pick be a single true distillery and not a corporate entity that runs multiple distilleries.

Perhaps John will stop by at some point and offer some insight.

I'm not going to carry water for Diageo (though I do like what they're doing with Dickel) though given a choice I'd rather see the award go to a company that actually owns and operates a distillery.

Eh, still better than that magazine that gave a distillery of the year award to Michters either last year or the year before.

Was anyone else a bit disappointed by the selection of Diageo as "Distillery" of the year on Whiskey Advocate?

Perhaps John will stop by at some point and offer some insight.

It's Christmas, so I'm not going to dwell too long here except to make three points:

The category is "Distiller," not "Distillery." Last year we picked William Grant. Same rules.

Our justification is in our write-up. I know everyone loves to hate Diageo, but they are doing some great things, both in the short term and long- term.

Merry Christmas to my friends at SB.com.

John

It's Christmas, so I'm not going to dwell too long here except to make three points:

The category is "Distiller," not "Distillery." Last year we picked William Grant. Same rules.

Our justification is in our write-up. I know everyone loves to hate Diageo, but they are doing some great things, both in the short term and long- term.

Merry Christmas to my friends at SB.com.

John

Mea culpa for calling it distillery and not distiller. That said, and I did read the Article with interest, my personal sense of a distiller still doesn't match up with Diageo (or William Grant for that matter!).

Seems me like it should be corporation (or conglomerate as mentioned above!) of the year and Distiller of the year should be, for lack of a better definition an actual distillery (working in a actual distillery).

But I acknowledge they aren't my rules and I suppose if I want to make the rules I should have my own blog and work had for many years to build the kind of recognition John has the industry! For which he is to be commended.

And that ain't happening!

I'm not emotional about it either way, but when I saw Diageo given Distiller of the Year, it lowered my interest in the contents of the article and lowered my respect for Whisky Advocate regardless of their justification.

Rational thought would not consider Diageo a distiller or a distillery; they oversee business decisions for operations they own, most of which are distilleries. According to the title of their own web site, Diageo is (a) "Consumer goods companies with portfolio of world-famous drinks brands." Sazerac is the same way, according to http://www.sazerac.com/company.aspx, Sazerac is "an independent, American family owned company and proud owners of many of America's most venerable distilling companies - Buffalo Trace Distillery, A. Smith Bowman, Glenmore Distillery, Barton, Fleischmann, Medley and Mr. Boston."

Sazerac is a company, owner of distillery x, y and z. Diageo is a company, owner of distillery x, y and z (and winery x, y, z and brewery x, y and z).

Maybe Diageo deserves recognition for their contributions to the world of whisky, but as a reader it's not this award. Give the Distiller of the Year to a distillery, the process and people who actually distill whisky. It doesn't make sense any other way.

I agree with John on this one - just because they are a conglomerate or large, doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered. They manage a considerable amount of the whisk(e)y production in the world, and put out a broad quality range at many price points, and are investing for the long-term providing stability to distilleries that may have long gone bust. I think a good case is made in the article.

I love small and independent as much as the next guy, or gal, but Diageo does do amazing things. They make a lot, truly a lot, of good whisky and it is readily available in a variety of places. I can go into any hotel bar anywhere in the US and order a Talisker - it's good whisky at a reasonable price. I don't think we should disqualify a company just because they are large but I too would like to see an award for a single distillery recognizing the work of a particular place and staff.

We appreciate you taking the time to respond, John. Industry interaction is what makes SB special and we would love to see even more.

We appreciate you taking the time to respond, John. Industry interaction is what makes SB special and we would love to see even more.

I check in regularly, and speak when I feel like I have something worthy to say. This is a great whiskey community, and I'm happy to be part of it (even if it is not as much as I would like).

Cheers!

Edited by JohnHansell

I'm not emotional about it either way, but when I saw Diageo given Distiller of the Year, it lowered my interest in the contents of the article and lowered my respect for Whisky Advocate regardless of their justification...

Somebody told me once that Diageo is like that crazy ex-girlfriend: You try to avoid her but d@mn if the sex isn't mind-blowing!

While there are some things about Diageo that I don't like, they do put out some of the best whisky in the world...

I guess I'm in the minority that I don't care if the distiller isn't the cool kid on the block or may be the big company. I just care about what my tastebuds tell me. I like happen to like many of the Wild Turkey offerings. I know it won't make me awesome like Pappy Van Winkle, but I'd rather drink what taste good than feel "cool" when I drink it. Same goes with Scotch. I don't care if it's rare or if it's Glenmorangie (one of my favorites). If I like it, that's what matters. Props to Diageo for doing some fantastic things.

Somebody told me once that Diageo is like that crazy ex-girlfriend: You try to avoid her but d@mn if the sex isn't mind-blowing!

While there are some things about Diageo that I don't like, they do put out some of the best whisky in the world...

Now that's a sentiment I like.

It had the opposite effect for me. If John gives award to Diageo, I think it's time for me to re-appraise the company and see what else they are doing.

I admit I don't know the details of Diageo's corporate inner workings, but I see them as a business that generates revenue regardless of the product being sold... It could be scotch, bourbon, toilet paper, wine, market branding or dish soap. Unless I'm mistaken, Diageo "corporate" doesn't have a master distiller on their payroll, so can they accurately be labeled a distiller?

Specific to distilling, Diageo is responsible for gin, rum, liqueur, vodka, scotch, bourbon, rye and more. Being awarded distiller of the year should take into account everything under their control, yet I didn't see any mention of their other distilling operations.

I don't disagree that they have done some amazing things in the whisky world, I just don't subscribe to what is essentially a holding company getting recognition for the actual work of distilling a great whisky. That magic is done by folks way under the suits at Diageo and my opinion is that a distillery should be the one recognized.

I very much respect John's work in the industry and with Whisky Advocate. He is publishing to a far broader audience than us fanatics at SB.com and elsewhere which is why I said the content about Diageo's role is worthwhile, I just wish it was presented differently so I could read about the people, the history and the process of a distillery (of the year) and not a corporation.

Well at least we should give props to the Diageo "suits" for not changing any of their bourbons to NAS yet.

That's only the Bulleit 10 right?

Diageo does have Master Distillers on staff, someone has to actually make the whisky. John Lunn, MD at Dickel, is highly regarded.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.