Where do I start?

squarre
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm new to bourbon and trying to get an idea of where to start. What is a good bottle to go with early on? Should I buy a couple of different bottles to get an idea of differences or stick with one bottle to begin?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Welcom to the board "squarre", always good to have another Ga member. My advice, and I am admittedly new to Bourbon, is to buy serveral bottles and try them all. It's doubtful that you'll find one you terribly dislike and most likely you will like each one for different reasons.

Buy small (50-200 mil) bottles at first, that way you can stock up on the ones you like but don't have a big bottle to finish on the ones you don't.

Hard to find better advice than this: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?14401-How-To-Get-Started

(Forum - Bourbon Discussion - New to Straightbourbon - Sticky: How to Get Started)

Excellent suggestion by miller542, the thread linked above is full of great advice. I was hardly "new to bourbon" when I joined this forum, but being a part of this community has taught me a lot. It's a journey limited only by your curiosity and your wallet, but you don't have to spend a lot to get started with the basics. My only advice - don't get frustrated if you can't find/taste all the seemingly amazing choices mentioned on these boards. It will come with time, and if you miss out on something - well, there's lots of others out there. Welcome aboard.

That thread is a great summary although some of the bourbons referenced are no longer available, or are very hard to find in certain regions. (EC18 and AAA10Yr for example). If you are starting out I'd really look for a variety of 50ml bottles - they are cheap and you should be able to find a broad selection of them. Investing $25-$30 for 10 50ml bottles is a lot cheaper than buying drinks in a bar and will give you a better variety than buying a few 200ml flasks. Taste 2 or 3 at a time - I've seen people new to bourbon get overwhelmed when tasting 4 or 5 bourbons at once. Although I'm a big fan of tasting blind I think if you are starting out there is value in not tasting blind as a way to train and calibrate your palate.

And take notes. Really it may sound strange but after a while you'll find your memories get fuzzy about why you liked, or didn't like, a particular bourbon. Not sure why, maybe it's the alcohol.:cool: The notes don't have to be fancy - even simple notes with just a few words can help. Good luck, have fun and remember all that matters is whether you like it, or not. There is no 'right' answer.

I don't associate fuzzy memory with drinking Bourbon but don't remember why.

I'll second that thought... I guess that means I'm having second thoughts.... About what; I don't recall. :bigeyes:

I'm sure it's not about the enjoyment of America's Native Spirit! Welcome aboard, Squarre! Have FUN!!!

Being fairly new to both bourbon and this board myself, I don't claim to have more or better knowledge than others, so I'm hesitant to comment on what specifically to try first. Palates and tastes differ. I have friends that hate seafood and I have other friends that think they are nuts...peoples tastes differ and they like what they like.

When first starting out, I purchased a few different bottom/mid shelf bottles to see if I liked one particular profile versus another, ie: wheater versus rye. I actually like both, but some may prefer one over the other as they have very different and distinct flavor profiles (I also purchased a scotch and determined very early on that I'm not a fan of peat).

Maybe to start, spread your budget and buy a few bottles--if you have $60, buy three $20 bottles instead of one $60 bottle.

I've found a bunch of very good inexpensive bourbons that are every day pours and I consider, say, the occasional seasonal release as a special treat...If early on I set my sights (and taste) only on Stagg, not only would I be broke, but I'd be thirsty most of the year.

Edited by TVojtko

I was pretty much where you were about a year ago. There aren't a ton of small bottles here and I figured if I didn't like the stuff straight I could just mix it and if I really liked it I would be annoyed when to tiny bottle was gone lol, so I just started buying full bottles.

I basically set a soft limit, try to not spend more than 20 or 30 bucks for a bottle....this way if I hate it it doesn't hurt that much..plus the great thing about american whisky is that there are so many great ones under 30 bucks.

I started with a pint of woodford and a 5th of buffalo trace. To each their own, and maybe I need to revisit it, but Id skip the woodford for the price and grab a buffalo trace or EC12, Elijah Craig 12 year, even. The EC12 is excellent and still one of my favorites when I'm not craving a ton of spice and lets face it at 12 years old its a steal at the 25 it usually runs at.

If you want some spice....laugh all you want but wild turkey 101 is a good one that will have some punch to it and wont break the bank either

Old Weller Antique, which you will see referred to here as OWA, is really good as well. I would love to try the Weller 12 year but its not available here but by all accounts that's a great one as well.

If you want to spend up a little bit Eagle Rare is pretty good...again 10 years old and single barrel fair value.

So that's a few, I've just been looking here and trying different 20-30 dollar bottles. Eventually you will want to spend more and having a good stable of reasonable stuff will make it easier to splurge every now and then..though finding stuff to splurge on can be a challenge sometimes....

Edited by loki993

Especially if you cannot find the tiny bottles, then value pours are in order for starters. I would get a high rye, a low rye and a wheater.

High Rye = Old Grandad or Four Roses Yellow Label (over 25% rye mashbills)

Low Rye = Evan Williams Black Label or Heaven Hill Gold or White Label (10-12% rye mashbills)

Wheater = WL Weller or Old Fitzgerald (around 15% wheat, replacing the rye)

All of these are excellent whiskies for around $15 for a 750 ml. Open them all at the same time, pour an ounce each in 3 different glasses, let them sit a half hour or so, then sniff the glasses and make notes of what you like and don't like. Then taste them in small sips, again making notes of the differences. Then add a small ice cube to each, swirl, and try them all again, making notes. Do this on several nights over a period of a week (your palate will change from day to day). You'll soon find you have a preference for one over the others, but they are all good.

I haven't had about half on that list I need to get to work....honestly Ive avoided Makers and Knob Creek..Im not really sure why, maybe because they're the fairly ubiquitous. Weller 12 I cant get here sadly.....though Im working on a way to get a couple bottles....

I haven't had about half on that list I need to get to work....honestly Ive avoided Makers and Knob Creek..Im not really sure why, maybe because they're the fairly ubiquitous. Weller 12 I cant get here sadly.....though Im working on a way to get a couple bottles....

Knob Creek and Knob Creek single barrel are two of the better bang-for-the-bucks out there.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Bought a few 50 ml bottles. Trying Larceny and Woodford Reserve while watching the Orange Bowl. Of the 2, I preferred the Larceny. Although, the Woodford did start to grow on me.

Jack Black had such a huge reputation, and got pretty good reviews, so I started with that. As others have said, I now either buy small bottles or have a drink at a bar to sample different brands, and there really is a difference. The trick is to really "taste" the drink and not just drink it, regardless of what's going on in the bar.

For me I need a Glencairn glass for tasting, not sure why but whiskey just tastes different, better with a nosing glass. So I prefer my tasting at home or in a bar that can supply the proper glass, but I can still get an idea of general likes and dislikes from a rocks glass.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.