Mellow Mash

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Reading about Mellow Mash in the Golden Age thread reminded me of when the brand was introduced. Although I don't remember exactly when that was, it was after I moved to Kentucky in 1978. Mellow Mash was a rarity at that time in that it was positioned as a premium line extension of Yellowstone. In fact, its original name was "Yellowstone Mellow Mash," with the Yellowstone part being deemphasized as time went on. Today, Yellowstone is bottom shelf but in those days it was considered a mainstream "popular price" brand alongside Early Times and Jim Beam.

I remember Dad always having a bottle of Yellowstone in the cabinet. Thinking back, I believe it was Yellowstone that taught me the importance of sipping slowly... puke.gif

I also remember when Dad discovered Maker's Mark. In the beginning, MM was pretty hard to get. That made it pretty cool to have, and the rest is history... smirk.gif

Bj

Chuck,

Mellow Mash did indeed start out as Yellowstone Mellow Mash. It was designed to be a super premium version of Yellowstone, that was one of the flagship brands of Glenmore. I always thought it a very good bourbon that deserved better recognition. I know Buddy Thompson still drinks it today, having stock piled many cases while it was being bottled by Glenmore and two years ago he still had several barrels of the product well over 20 years old.

Mike Veach

• 3 months later...

I found a couple of bottles of Mellow Mash at a local liquor store a few months back and picked them up, as I had never heard of the brand. After seeing Yellowstone Distillery on the bottle, I knew that I had purchased some cheap swill, with a fancier label. But after reviewing the Golden Age posts, I will break open a bottle the next time I have some bourbon drinkers over. Thanks for the info.

schlep

Bourbon....it's what's for dinner.

What you have should be good and, in fact, plain old Yellowstone in those days was pretty good too. If I saw Mellow Mash in a store, I would jump on it in a second. (But not today's Yellowstone, which is swill.)

Hi Chuck!

So what yer saying is...the first Bourbon that ever made me throw-up was the good stuff? tongue.giflol.gif

(Seriously...I was 14/15 yrs old, and doing it all wrong back then... smirk.gif)

Like around 1968, this Bourbon would have been better than it is now?

Bj

Yellowstone was the pride and joy of Glenmore Distillery in those days and was a good, solid standard bourbon. Today it's a disgrace.

Which isn't to say that bourbon quality is of any consequence to an experimentally-minded 15 year old.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.