Scotch from 1981

MtnDew
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Random question, I was thinking recently it might be fun to look for a birth year bottle and given that my wife and I were both born in 1981 this makes the choice year easier. That being said, how would I best go about looking for a fun bottle from that year? As my wife and I are getting older now the bottles won't be cheap, but they should still be manageable, if just barely. Obviously random stores are unlikely to have something this specific so I'm curious where you guys would look for something of this nature.

I don't have specifics, it really could be any scotch as long as it's something decent and not way over priced. I've seen Caperodnichs, Glenlivets, and MacDuffs in the rough age range but nothing that specific.

Thanks!

Random question, I was thinking recently it might be fun to look for a birth year bottle and given that my wife and I were both born in 1981 this makes the choice year easier. That being said, how would I best go about looking for a fun bottle from that year? As my wife and I are getting older now the bottles won't be cheap, but they should still be manageable, if just barely. Obviously random stores are unlikely to have something this specific so I'm curious where you guys would look for something of this nature.

I don't have specifics, it really could be any scotch as long as it's something decent and not way over priced. I've seen Caperodnichs, Glenlivets, and MacDuffs in the rough age range but nothing that specific.

Thanks!

What a nice idea! I'm guessing that you can find some of the Old Grand Dad BIB's from that time, that are dated 1981. Probably, several others, too. OGD's from that era seem plentiful, though.

Yes, you have a shot at finding a BIB (Grand Dad is the most prevalent) but I don't recall Scotch malts or blends from that time carrying any sort of identifying date. I would check with the guys over on the Scotch boards to see if they have any clues.

Thanks!

You're looking for ~30 year old Scotch. That won't be cheap. A cool idea is a range from Glenfarclas. They have bottled vintage casks from every year from 1953-1994

This one would fit the bill.

If you would rather get something younger (i.e. a dusty) your best bet will be at auction.

For cheaper alternatives to single malts, you may look for single grains - these tend to be less expensive.

Thanks for all the info guys! I had not even considered looking for a dusty, I just assumed it would be something released in the last couple of years and in the 30+ age range. I was hoping I keep it below $500 as thats something I could, in theory, afford, but if they go much higher it may not be worth it. I does not have to be scotch either, we just both prefer that so it seemed like something fun to open. I just realized the Talisker 25 bottles I have are both from the 2004 release, that would put them at 1979 distillation so pretty close. Does anyone know if they made a 2006 25 year release?

Chainwhip, what price range are those Karuizawa 1981's, assuming I can actually get one?

Thanks for the link Aaron to the Glenfarclas. Thats right on the edge of what I'd consider spending but looks like it would be a fun one to get, especially since it would say 1981 right on the bottle.

Michael, do the old Macallans have the distillation date on them?

I'll keep looking myself but as usual, you guys are the best!

Yes, you have a shot at finding a BIB (Grand Dad is the most prevalent) but I don't recall Scotch malts or blends from that time carrying any sort of identifying date. I would check with the guys over on the Scotch boards to see if they have any clues.

Stupid question, when you refer to the scotch boards, which ones are you referring to? I've seen several forums but not spent enough time in any of them to see which ones would be worth joining.

Thanks!

Stupid question, when you refer to the scotch boards, which ones are you referring to? I've seen several forums but not spent enough time in any of them to see which ones would be worth joining.

Thanks!

Good one (though the amount of traffic is a fraction of SB): whisky whisky whisky dot com (without the spaces, of course)

I say 'Scotch Boards' because there are more than one but I cannot say that any are preferable as I haven't spent much time on them. The best I can say is some of the posters appear to know the subject.

Macallan 18 does have a distillation year printed on the bottles. However the ones I've seen are all from the early '90s. But I haven't seen the labels from the older bottles but I think it's likely they also have dates on them.

I think Glenmorangie Pride is a 1981 vintage but it's kind of pricy for the age. I do think the bottle is cool though.

Yes right on the front of the bottle, I picked up 2 84s for Johnny, I will keep an eye out for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shows what I know, I doubt I've purchased more than two or three bottles of the Mac 18 and never noticed a distillation date.

Can't seem to find pics of the bottles but these are the tubes of the '84s I found not long ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to Mike, I can enjoy this dram and share this photo:

10792801086_1c7f41e818_z.jpg

Chainwhip, what price range are those Karuizawa 1981's, assuming I can actually get one?

~$600-ish... They're hard to get - if you think PVW is hard to get, this is a whole new level of difficulty. But if you're really interested, let me know.

My birth year is also 1981. This Talisker 1981 20 yo Sherry Cask is what I would choose if I could bring myself to pull the trigger.

That's been on my wishlist for some time now actually...

Edited by ChainWhip

No particular reason... And no that's not from my birth year. It's what was available and I wanted it.

;)

Is that Glenfarclas really worth the ~$400 price tag? Or am I better served spending less on something like the Glenlivet 1981?

Is that Glenfarclas really worth the ~$400 price tag? Or am I better served spending less on something like the Glenlivet 1981?

Only you can determine if a ~30yr old Glenfarclas distillery bottling is worth $400.

You will have to pay A LOT more than $400 for a 1981 Glenlivet distillery bottling. For less it will be an independent bottling.

IB or OB does not matter to me and I'm aware its my decision, what I wanted was others opinions on if the glenfarclas is that much better in their eyes, enough to justify the price difference. The IB glenlivet 1981 is around $100 cheaper and while I may not be a fan of their younger offerings, people here may know if the 30+ is worth it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.