What bourbon are you drinking right now?

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

ORVW 10 yo, 107. Good stuff. Seems a bit spicier tonight than normal, but, then again, I had Wathens and AAA 10 yo last night, so that's to be expected. tongue.gif

I'm not having ANY bourbon tonight. I don't even want to LOOK at any booze tonight, but here's what I had last PM...Stagg, 20 YO Pappy, Elmert T Lee, Sazarec Rye, Blanton's, Michter's US*1, Michter's Bourbon, Michter's Rye, Elijah Craig 18 YO, Bookers and Old Potero Single Malt and Straight Rye. I had a few Irish Whiskies as well as a few Single Malts. toast.gif

Ridgewood 1792. This is a fantastic bargain of a bourbon, and quite possibly the nicest packaging on the market. A subtle green earthiness mixes nicely with the smooth vanilla and leather notes to create beautiful music on the palate. yum.gif

Henry McKenna Single Barrel...first time I have ever had this...jury is still out but definate characteristics of the Heaven Hill that it is....halfway between EWSB ('92 only one I have had) and Elijah Craig?? $24 bucks locally

Barton's 1792, here, too.

It's great to see Barton--who's VOB has many champions here--enter the enthusiast market with such a stylish bourbon in such a handsome bottle. It's doubtful that the three I brought back from B'town will last 'til next year!

So far today, I've had EC12, MM, and WTRR.... I reserve judgement til the second or third tasting, but I think I understand this forum's feelings on Maker's Mark now. It's not bad in any way, but nothing about it really jumped out at me either... it seems to be a quality product but not an exceptional one. The other 2 bourbons, I enjoyed quite a bit. Up next is Eagle Rare single barrel, and that may be it for me tonight.

Steve

I just had a couple of ounces of Weller's Special Reserve (a personal favorite), and now am chasing that with a like swig of Old Fitzgerald BIB. For some reason, I like eating a Tootsie Roll with the Old Fitzgerald -- anybody else find chocolate a good match for 100-proof bourbon?

Anyway, that's my limit for tonight.

Christmas parties, bourbon, sugar cookies, and chocolate. yum.gif

Also, my father-in-law suggested a Snickers one time to me. My friend loves Krispy Kreme. We tried both of them one night with bourbon (a long story leading up to that decision). The Snickers won for me, primarily due to its texture. It went very well. However, this does not say that the KK was bad. I just found them too light and fluffy to go well with bourbon. It was hard to savor them when they melted so quickly in my bourbon numbed mouth.

Booker's.

This is maybe my fifth or six taste of this bourbon, and I'm not very impressed, considering the price. Am I the only one who thinks it tastes exactly like Jim Beam white, only more so?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I was hurtin a bit on Wednesday. I couldn't wait to get home from the city and get back to bed! Slept away the whole day, and then I was as good as new!

Kentucky Pride 10year Small Batch. I had seen this just prior to moving to Virginia and thought it looked interesting because I didn't really know who made it (still don't but haven't looked into it). When I openned the bottle, the aroma of leather came across my mind. In a glass, it sweetened up with hints of carmel. (I am working on being able to identify more than just the basics but need to write them down as I go instead of trying to remeber these things the next day!) I enjoyed the glass thouroughly. One of those bourbons you can just let roll around in your mouth a little and take in the sensations. yum.gif

Not drinking it right now (8:30 a.m. is a little bit too early for me), but capped off a long day yesterday with a healthy pour of Van Winkle 15/107 while watching the Fish beat the Evil Empire. All I kept thinking while drinking it last night were two words: Liquid Toffee. yum.gif I'm generally not a big fan of wheated boourbons, but this is one of the few I really enjoy. Simply delicious stuff.

Unfortunately, it was the last pour of the bottle. frown.gif

But, more's available from the local store for $35 smile.gif

SpeedyJohn

Dave,

Am I the only one who thinks it tastes exactly like Jim Beam white, only more so?

No Dave, I agree 100%. I'm not a fan of Beam's 3 B's...I don't feel like the extra price is worth the extra money for their premium bottlings. If I want the Beam profile, I'll drink Beam Black (IMHO, the best of Beam for the money).

Bj

I realize we're heading a bit OT here CL, but try a dark Milky Way.

BTW it was Stagg and Birthday Bourbon for me last night. Not that I want to rain on the little lovefest the Dawg and Gillman have going, but in my opinion, this one's no contest, and the result is not in favor of the BF product. lol.gif

Stagg gets my vote too Jim as the "Supreme Ruling Bourbon of the Universe" toast.gif

OFBB02 gets a #5 vote in my top list, behind Stagg, Kentucky Spirit, Pappy 20 and VWFRR. That's my story and I'm sticking to it rolleyes.gif

I agree with you Dave, it is like an amped up JB white, and thats a really good thing. Just not good enough to justify the price. I may pay $35 again like I did in NH for mine (I dont feel I got screwed on that bottle) but I am surely not gonna pay the full OH $50.

TomC

Thats okay we will forgive you!( crazy.gifconfused.gifcrazy.gifconfused.gif). Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Honestly I will do a side by side soon and articulate my opinions more fairly. I am jealous. Any night that includes even one of those bourbon heavyweights is a good night of drinking indeed, and so having both mustve been sumtithin special. May I ask, which B'day did you partake of?

TomC

Funny isnt it, because Stagg sits about 5-6 six on my list (ER 17, Kentucky Spirit, Van Winkle 10/107, Weller19. . .), though I dont think ther is a "Supreme Ruling Bourbon of the Universe" . And in my case I find that a good thing.

Tom (needs to pony up for a bottle of Pappy) C

Jim, you would not be raining (which implies disagreement) but rather the opposite, i.e., agreeing with us, because we both (Tom and I) felt the Stagg was not all it was cracked up to be.

Gary

Hello All,

My first post here at Straightbourbon. Great site, and very informative. Lurking on this site helped me to purchase the bourbon I'm going to try tonite. Ancient Ancient Age 10 yr old. After a few sips, I am planning on pairing it with a Cuesta Rey Centrofino sungrown #60. (IMHO bourbon and cigars go together like oreos and milk...without the dunking of course lol.gif)

Lurking on this site helped me to purchase the bourbon I'm going to try tonite. Ancient Ancient Age 10 yr old.

I guess lurk.gif does lead to good things! lol.gif Really though, Thanks for signing on! toast.gif

Tonight for me it's a glass of Stagg. I'm not having a whole lot tonight since I have to get up and drive to PA very early so I figured make that one glass something special.

Tonight I am having a Manhattan made with Old Forester 100. After the last couple days of making bourbon cocktails, I think that Old Forester 100 proof might just be the ultimate mixing bourbon. Nice high, full-bodied proof with lots of rye really stands up well to mixers. toast.gif

Its been a long week, so I'm relaxing my normal 2 drink limit this weekend... So far today I've had EWSB 92 (very good), WT12 (liquid happiness) and I just finished a small pour of Woodford Reserve... Not a really exciting bourbon to me, but very enjoyable anyways.

Steve

Old Grand Dad 86. Very pleasant, but nothing to wax poetic about. Nice flavor, but a little thin. Reminds me of Baker's but with less kick.

Tim

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!