George Dickel Corn Whiskey

tmckenzie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got my local whiskey monger to order in a few bottles. It is being pushed pretty hard. It is good corn whiskey, but a little hot on the finish. The nose and initial taste are identical to the glen thunder we are making off our new still, but ours has not burn like that. The burn surprised me. Here is my theory. Oils in a whiskey cover up any burn a whiskey may have. With the chill charcoal filtering they do, it removes those oils. Now I have never tried a whiskey unaged that has been maple charcoal filtered, but there was no hint of sootiness at all. And it amazes me what a few years in a charred oak barrel will do. My impression to was Dickel distills to a lower proof. I would have loved to have tasted this without the filtration. All in all though, it is enjoyable and well worth the 19 bucks I paid.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bottle of this today. This is some easy drinking corn whiskey! Definitely corn in the flavor but no bad aftertaste like some legal moonshines have. As tmckenzie said in another thread no vitamin taste at all. I'm going to compare this to some JD one day old charcoal filtered white dog tonight.

Thanks for the reviews guys. I have been curious about this. I don't tend to enjoy corn whiskey for the same reason I'm not a big vodka fan. Always interested to hear what others are able to get out of it, flavorwise.

Thanks for the reviews guys. I have been curious about this. I don't tend to enjoy corn whiskey for the same reason I'm not a big vodka fan. Always interested to hear what others are able to get out of it, flavorwise.

Big difference between corn whiskey and vodka is, corn whiskey actually has flavor... :D

I am enjoying my bottle of GD Corn Whiskey. I'll say it has less of the thick and oily mouthfeel of some of the other corn whiskies, and The Pro 3 posts above has illustrated to me why. (As always, thanks for your insight, Tom.) Nice and flavorful, and an entirely enjoyable whiskey.

...Big difference between corn whiskey and vodka is, corn whiskey actually has flavor... :D

Definitely agreed, there is no question that proper corn whiskey has flavor, compared to vodka. Just not enough for me :lol:. You have to watch out though. The last one I ever bought was Ole Smokey's White Lightnin'. I should have paid attention to the "Neutral Spirits" on the label. Nothing but 100 proof vodka masquerading as moonshine. :rolleyes: I'm to blame though, for not paying attention to what I was buying.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.