Suntory Time for Beam?

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Of course they won't mess with the whisky, no one pays 25% over book so they can muck around with the product.

Which is why I'm not worried about this. Though I am going to bonkers if people start saying Suntory Time while pouring a Beam product....

Oh imma say it, guaranteed.

Some of the comments on the Maker's Mark Ambassadors Facebook page are already pretty ugly. One guy compared the sale to the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

The Japanese owning Makers Mark is the best part of this sale. Maybe they will do something else with the brand other than churn out young mediocre whiskey.

I think the Japanese are very confident of the World Wide demand for Bourbon, specifically Bourbon made in Kentucky. China alone could soak up Beam's entire annual output.

China alone could soak up Beam's entire annual output.

I dont want to think about what that will do to prices and availability when (not if) that happens

I've always thought Jim Beam/Makers Mark to be the Budweiser of the bourbon world.... and Budweiser sold out to Belgium, and Jim Beam/Makers Mark is selling out to Japan...So I guess I was right in a way.

Good thing I have plenty of other choices, probably wont be buying any of their bourbons anymore. Really sucks considering I love Knob Creek...

I'm waiting for someone to mention Four Roses, the world class products they're cranking out with their Japanese owners. Would be one thing if it had been bought by a country that isn't a HUGE market for the stuff...but really? they clearly have no interest in screwing it up.

Are you serious Four Roses are sellouts too?

Curious why Japanese ownership would dissuade you from purchasing Beam products?

The Japanese are the ones who helped Four Roses go from selling flavored vodka to what they are churning out today.

The Japanese are the ones who helped Four Roses go from selling flavored vodka to what they are churning out today.

yeah, its not usually a bad thing when a company is bought by its biggest fans (of whiskey in general)

I'm new to bourbon, and when most things sellout they degrade their quality I figured this would be the same.

Agree that selling out to Japan isn't necessarily a bad thing, that being said there are a lot of people around my area who only want to buy American. No Toyotas or Hondas for example. It seems especially prevalent in the bottom shelf bourbon drinkers. This could be a good thing for JD

The Japanese owning Makers Mark is the best part of this sale. Maybe they will do something else with the brand other than churn out young mediocre whiskey.

Let's hope that is the case. I don't hate MM by any means but, it sure could use an influx of pizazz, so to speak.

Japan produces some good whisky in it's own right. These guys know how to make science and art blend into a taste treat.

I know Beam is one of the better selling brands and some of the small batch bourbons are decent but, frankly, I think they could produce a better product. I view this as a positive.

Japanese folks love their whisky and tobacco. Why wouldn't they want another piece if they have the money to pony up. If anything, we should see a revitalized and reinvigorated brand, as this is an investment being made by folks who share our passion and love for great bourbon. Personally, I can't wait to see how this shakes out over the next few years.

I know Beam is one of the better selling brands and some of the small batch bourbons are decent but, frankly, I think they could produce a better product. I view this as a positive.

I agree.

The Japanese are not trying to make billions every quarter, they are in it for the long term.

American management/ownership want to fool the public with slick advertising, make a quick buck and laugh at the consumer.

I think the Japanese are very confident of the World Wide demand for Bourbon, specifically Bourbon made in Kentucky. China alone could soak up Beam's entire annual output.
I dont want to think about what that will do to prices and availability when (not if) that happens

The other possibility is that the Chinese copy* "bourbon" just as millions of gallons of "whisky" are made in India (a lot of it bottled with very Scotish sounding names on the labels).

What I'm suggesting is that demand may not be as high as the large population would imply. The vast majority of people will not pay the price for the real stuff - they will drink copies.

* they have demonstrated a propensity to disregard trademarks in many other products, why not "bourbon"?

Agree that selling out to Japan isn't necessarily a bad thing, that being said there are a lot of people around my area who only want to buy American. No Toyotas or Hondas for example. It seems especially prevalent in the bottom shelf bourbon drinkers. This could be a good thing for JD

See this:

:skep: :rolleyes: It is still an American product. Bourbon, by definition, must be American.

That's all that matters to me. I couldn't give a damn where the profits go. Whether its counted in dollars or yen, it doesn't go in my pocket.

The comments section on the Maker's page are equal parts hilarious, sad, and appalling. So hard not to trollololololol every last one of them. Budweiser. 'Merica.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.