Spec's and the premiums

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last fall I chatted up the bourbon guy at Spec's as I asked him about the list for the Van Winkles and BTAC, etc. He said they prioritize the allocation based on points (money spent at Spec's) and buying habits (bourbon buyers are the tiebreaker). I don't usually buy at Spec's - I suppose their selection and prices are competitive, but I don't consider them great. I prefer not to have to pay cash for the discount, and they always seemed to be out of what I went in there looking for, be it ETL, or ER10, or Weller 12. When I mentioned this to him, he suggested I try different bottles. That's fine and dandy but I still had to go to another store to get what I wanted in the first place, and if that other place had a better selection and competitive price, why should I shop at Spec's at all?

Nevertheless, I decided to start buying my bourbons there to try and accumulate some points to move up the list. Last week or so I talked to the bourbon manager again and I got a little more info. Last year they didn't consider anyone for these premiums unless they had 6500 points (dollars spent at Specs, and it's on a store-by-store basis, not all stores combined, and this store had been open only a year or two, to put that 6500 in perspective). The kicker is that they don't reset each year, it's cumulative money spent at the store, so next year that number is sure to rise, and the people who have spent that much will of course still be spending and be at the top of the list again. And so on every year, wash, rinse, repeat.

I understand rewarding your whales, I do, but this manager effectively told me to shop elsewhere (obviously not his words or his intent, but that's the translation). I mean, simple math says I will never catch up on consumption (that's a crapload of booze to buy), and if I can get a similar selection and price elsewhere, AND have a much better shot at premiums, why should I bother with Spec's? Long story short, I guess I don't understand the fascination with that store.

Edited by dcbt

Years ago Specs had a good selection at good prices but I haven't shopped there in awhile. Curious though, how does one accumulate points when paying cash?

As for premiums, once you break into the Evan Williams Single Barrel, Bookers, Elmer Lee and Four Roses Small Batch class you are in the premiums and from there on it's only a matter of price, not quality.

That and the higher priced stuff doesn't necessarily taste better.

Specs in Houston also told a some of us that highly allocated bourbons (Van Winkle and BTAC) would be distributed based on points. 1st priority goes to premise (bars) accounts. Then 100,000 points (1 point equal $1 spent) and you get a call and go in and buy 1 bottle of each product. At 50,000 points, you get a call and can go buy 1 total. The point totals might be different than Dallas because Specs has been in Houston much longer. Unlike what you were told, points total from purchases from all specs store.

The specs website has a spot where you can type in your key card and see your lifetime points. Several of us were emailing each other with how many points. I was right under 10,000. The folks with those high point values are mostly high end wine buyers who probably don't have much interest in Pappy (unless they are following Robert Parker's infamous Bourbon Review)

Years ago Specs had a good selection at good prices but I haven't shopped there in awhile. Curious though, how does one accumulate points when paying cash?
they give you a loyalty card, Specs Key Card, that gets swiped when you make a purchase. They often have sales on certain bottles that you get $XY.00 off a certain bottle if you present your key card. 95% of time the discounts are only on the bottles they have exclusive rights. (Exclusive rights under a 3 tier system? Yes, when you also have your own middleman wholesaler that you control that basically only sales to you that by law has just enough family degree separation so that it's not illegal).

Specs is like the Walmart* of liquor stores. When it comes to widely available items, they usually have the best selection, at a fair price. When supply starts to get a little tight for some brands, Specs will be the last store to get their allocations cut. I try to buy from smaller stores when I can, but Specs is usually my fall back plan if I can't find it easily elsewhere.

I used to be able to rely on Specs to have things like the BTAC at msrp, but it looks like those days are gone.

The Specs in Dallas has a couple of premiums that aren't allocated. PHC, AECS and Elijah Craig 21 all end up behind the glass rather then the call list they do for BTAC. I actually had some luck with the lottery at Total Wine. The list for the Van Winkle products was pages upon pages when I put my name in but there were only 5 people on the list for each BTAC offerings, so I ended up with a bottle of WLW.

I've been a Spec's card member for a long time.....since they started the program. I have in excess of 110,000 points (yeah, I know, go check into AA). In the early days they would give you bonuses, Ie, buy a case of XYZ and get 500 bonus points. In those early days of the program, those points were worth something. I used to get invited to their suite for Texans games etc. Now I just get priority on wine (which I use frequently)and whiskey purchases. They have a lot of individual customers, mostly buying cases of first growth Bordeaux, accumulating 50,000 to 100,000 points a year. I've taken delivery of three single barrels of bourbon for myself and friends that has helped pad my number. I haven't put my name on the allocated whiskey list for a couple of years now.

The Specs in Dallas has a couple of premiums that aren't allocated. PHC, AECS and Elijah Craig 21 all end up behind the glass rather then the call list they do for BTAC. QUOTE]

This is pretty normal from what I've seen in the area. I've seen AECS and EC21 all over in the display cases.

• 3 months later...

Well...isn't this thread interesting!

All I can say is...wow. I've been a Spec's key holder for years, but had no idea this was going on.

100 grand to be thrown a Pappy bone...that's fabulous.

Strangely enough, we have managed to get a Pappy 20 out of them in the past, and we recently also got an Old Blowhard at the Smith St store. They weren't friendly at all about it, not that I have a thin skin. We are always polite, so it wasn't from our side.

Roughly estimating, I probably have a point score of between 20 and 30K with them, but I don't remember ever being asked to swipe my key when being asked for an allocated release.

Well, knowledge is power. Now I understand why Spec's can be a tough cookie.

Thanks for this thread,

tbt

It then occurs to me to ask:

What about the smaller stores, then? Does Spec's send all of their PVW and BTAC allocations to Smith St and the Dallas flagship?

With 20 or 30K points, can you be a big fish in a smaller pond and still manage to get a bottle?

tbt

I think the Pappy gets allocated to several Specs locations in the DFW area, but most of the stores I've visited in the area say they never get any of the BTAC. (The main Dallas store being the exception).

When I got my Pappy 20 at Spec's last year, there was no mention of the "points" or Key Card, but that store was fairly new.

I've since gotten a Key Card, but it's attached to my Car Keys and the bar code is rubbed almost completely off, so it's useless.

Several of the specs I visit started off in areas where Hard Liquor sales weren't allowed, but now is. Those stores seem top be the ones who get little-to-no Pappy allocation.

I've since gotten a Key Card, but it's attached to my Car Keys and the bar code is rubbed almost completely off, so it's useless.

It's all very odd. At some of the stores it might help me to swipe the key card when making a bottle request.

But how would you even suggest "Look at my points, I'm legit"? haha.

Also interesting about the lack of BTAC across Spec's locations. Aren't BTAC numbers higher than PVW releases? I would have thought Spec's would be all over them.

I agree, though. At first when I went to downtown Spec's, I was super impressed. Now the way I look at liquor stores has changed.

Spec's reminds me of a big city strip club. It doesn't matter how much money you brought - somebody else has always brought more.

tbt

My subtle approach would be show the old, worn key card and ask if I needed a new one.

Also interesting about the lack of BTAC across Spec's locations. Aren't BTAC numbers higher than PVW releases? I would have thought Spec's would be all over them.
They used to have the BTAC at other Spec's stores, but I think it's gotten so popular now and so many people on the waiting list that it's all spoken for before they even get it from the distributer, seems that way anyway.

Twenty years ago Specs was an oasis, doubt I would even stop by now if passing through.

Not that I ever advocate shopping at Specs, but you know you can give them your phone number instead of swiping the key, right?

Yeah, you would think, but apparently i filled out that form for nothing, as when i had them input my phone number, it wasn't on record. another reason to love Specs. :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.