1964/1974 George Dickel #12

VAGentleman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

About a month ago I got a few bottles of older whiskey. I already did a tasting with the 1968 Virginia Gentleman. This time the tasting was with 2 bottles of George Dickel #12 I also received. The first is a 1964 Powder Horn bottle that commemorated the opening of the redone distillery. The second was a bottle from 1974.

The 1964 and 1974 were both pretty similar. They both had a nice sweet vanilla with some spice on the nose. Tasting them they both had a nice big oily mouth feel. Definitely bigger than nowadays. They both had some nice spice up front with a subdued vitamin taste at the end. The ’64 had a nice char taste at the end. Both had a medium finish that lasted and had a sweet finish.

I tried a 2013 Dickel 12 after these 2 and the 2013 is definitely sweeter with a more pronounced vitamin taste. Definitely in the same family and actually fairly similar even after 50 years. I know Dickel is using the same stills and has not updated the distillery with computers. The taste has evolved a little bit but you can still tell that its Dickel

glad ya put the modern in the lineup for comparison. How would the new Dickel Barrel Selects (like 14yo) fit in the mix? I've seen your other review of recent Dickels, just curious about maybe more direct recent impressions.

Edited by B.B. Babington

The new hand picked barrel bottling's are also sweeter than the older ones with a little more vitamin taste.

Since their white dog came out, I for the life of me cannot figure out the vitamin thing. It is nothing in the white dog that suggests it will have it. It is just good corn whiskey. I am on the third bottle.

Man I can't wait til the corn whiskey is available here! Sounds great! Interesting that there's no vitamin taste in it. I'm looking forward to comparing the Dickel white Dog with some JD white dog I still have a little of.

Good notes and in concurrence with my own impressions based on tasting 70's Dickel some years ago. The vitamins was always there but more subdued than at present, which is a good thing.

I had the Powderhorn only once and to my best recollection, it had no vitamin taste, but perhaps some was there.

Gary

Man I can't wait til the corn whiskey is available here! Sounds great! Interesting that there's no vitamin taste in it. I'm looking forward to comparing the Dickel white Dog with some JD white dog I still have a little of.
. Well, there is no comparison between the two. The rye white dog JD put out tastes exactly like the HH try box series rye. The Dickel corn tastes like good corn whiskey. Not like Georgia moon. Only thing I can compare it too is our corn whiskey.

I actually have the bottle set of JD one day old before and after charcoal filtering (at last little left in each). Wasn't talking about the Rye white Dog. Once get the GD I'll post a comparison

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.