Highland Park Valhalla Collection: Freya

DrinkSpirits
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Highland Park just announced the next edition of their Valhalla Series. The whisky is called Freya and it's again focused on style vs age.

Here's our Freya review.

and the conclusion from that review:

Great whisky takes us on a journey, and like the other releases in Highland Park’s Valhalla Collection, Freya is a unique journey. Freya takes us from lush, soft fruit and honey through a symphony of spice to a very dry finish. Freya doesn’t taste like any other whisky we’ve had from Highland Park (or any other whisky company for that matter) – it has a distinct character that is uniquely Freya. As with other releases in the Valhalla Collection, Freya is priced with collectors and enthusiasts in mind. It’s not an inexpensive whisky, but again, Highland Park has done a superb job of delivering something special in an exceptional package.

Freya goes on sale in limited quantities in February for $275 a bottle

Highland Park just announced the next edition of their Valhalla Series. The whisky is called Freya and it's again focused on style vs age.

Here's our Freya review.

and the conclusion from that review:

Freya goes on sale in limited quantities in February for $275 a bottle

I confess I just don't get this series. The whisky seems to be all over the map in quality but has generally been luke warmin reviews for the first two it would seem, the price is going in only one direction for what would seem to be relatively young whisky in the scotch world and the so called special packaging, which as best I can tell is the same for every bottle, not only doesn't add to the bottle but for me seems to detract from it.

And it is not like I haven't made more than few purchases that no doubt seem silly to others. Just not for me I suppose.

Just not for me I suppose.

... or me, or many other people.

The prior release (Loki) is marked at $300 locally - twice the price of the "regular" 18yo.

I tried the Loki yesterday, and though my palate may not be as refined as the expert bloggers, I would take 2 bottles of the 18 over one Loki in a heartbeat!

... or me, or many other people.

The prior release (Loki) is marked at $300 locally - twice the price of the "regular" 18yo.

I tried the Loki yesterday, and though my palate may not be as refined as the expert bloggers, I would take 2 bottles of the 18 over one Loki in a heartbeat!

Even more disheartening to me, because I like HP whisky generally speaking, is that it wasn't too long ago (a year at most?) that $300 was more than three times the price of the 18yo.

Fortunately there was this report on Dramming that might offer a glimmer of hope!

Fortunately there was this report on Dramming that might offer a glimmer of hope!

First signs that the nonsense about all the overwhelming increases in demand coming from the "emerging economies" is greatly exaggerated.

I bunkered 3 bottles of highland park in the last 6 months for less than the price of this at MSRP: HP12 dusty from early 2000s that I'm hoping to compare to the current 12 at some point, HP16 alchemist IB that was finished in calvados barrels, and HP18. I'm pretty sure I'm coming out ahead on this one . . .

My hope is that all the mediocre Highland Park "special releases" keep prices down on the regular stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.