How accurately could you differentiate the BIBs?

suntour
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Been thinking a lot about this lately, how the BIB used to be such a benchmark for quality, and now essentially the term is left off many high-end offerings since its seen as antiquated or bottom-shelfy.

It'd be cool if every distillery had a BIB to show off its house character, obviously this isn't the case, but you can get close. How accurately could you pick out the different ones?

I have OGD, Old Tub, EH Taylor, Heaven Hill Gold, EWW, Henry McKenna 10year, and VOB BIBs on hand. I bet I could place half of those (even weighted towards JB and HH as it is) but you start throwing that Wild Turkey BIB and Old Forester BIBs I feel like it'd be interesting and difficult to tell what's what.

Are there other important BIBs I'm missing? How well would you do picking them out?

I've had several bottles of each of these:

* EWW

* OGD BIB

* Old Fitz

* Old Fo 100 (though not still a bib by the time I got to it)

I could tell those apart very easily, as they are all very distinct from each other, to my tastes, anyway.

I would imagine differentiating between HH bibs would be more difficult. But for instance, I detect quite a large difference between EWW and Fighting Cock, so maybe it wouldn't be as hard to pick as I imagine.

On second thought, the OFs might be tougher to decide on. Been awhile since I had either, but I seem to recall both had a nutty flavor in the finish.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Edited by JPBoston

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.