Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mostly a malt centric list so posted here. The one American whiskey is also the cheapest on the list, a BTEC at $47 per 375ml (if you can even find it at that price, or find it at all!). Everything else is well north of $100 with the top cost a mere 16,000 pounds...

As the first comment notes it seems to be more of a browsing guide. Only two options under $150.

The winter guide was more American whiskey centric (due to fall releases I suppose) with 8 of 10 selections under $150. The fall guide had 10 for 10 under $150.

Although digging deeper past gudes have certainly had their share of "super premium" whisky.

Would love to see an "alternate" seasonal buying guide for whisk(e)y under say $150-200.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Mostly a malt centric list so posted here. The one American whiskey is also the cheapest on the list, a BTEC at $47 per 375ml (if you can even find it at that price, or find it at all!). Everything else is well north of $100 with the top cost a mere 16,000 pounds...

As the first comment notes it seems to be more of a browsing guide. Only two options under $150.

The winter guide was more American whiskey centric (due to fall releases I suppose) with 8 of 10 selections under $150. The fall guide had 10 for 10 under $150.

Although digging deeper past gudes have certainly had their share of "super premium" whisky.

Would love to see an "alternate" seasonal buying guide for whisk(e)y under say $150-200.

This list is totally irrelevant to me, though truth be told, I find that the magazine in general doesn't do much for me at all. They publish some nice articles about the industry, but I think they try to do too much. If a price is listed in pounds, it doesn't pertain to me, and there are precious few whiskies I would even consider for a three-digit price. I have no interest in knowing how a bottle that retails for $1000 tastes. In fact, I'd rather not know.

I know not everyone can explore the world of malt in their own backyard the way I can living with a Binny's around every corner. But if WA was all I had to go by, I wouldn't be in the game at all. I find it totally alienating.

But if WA was all I had to go by, I wouldn't be in the game at all. I find it totally alienating.

I completely agree. I let my subscription lapse (after the next issue); sending a comment card to that effect.

Too snobbish, or snooty, or whatever you may say, to reflect my dissociation from $300 plus bottles ... and up; waaaay up!

I've never subscribed to the magazine, but I find the online buying guide on the website to be extremely useful. I sometimes question the direction they move in, but their party line is that they rate whiskey/whisky on merit, not value. I get that, and can respect it. It just means that a good portion of the content they provide does not apply to me, so I am hesitant to subscribe. Though their recent issue on Blends looked pretty cool. One thing I can say, at least: I know exactly where that BTEC Extended Stave Drying Time is available, so I guess I will go pick some up tomorrow. Additionally, I got a bottle of the Peat Monster 10th anniversary for right around $100, so I'm not sure what is going on with the SRP of that one. I also know where to get the Talisker 1985, but I have no interest in grabbing it due to excessive pricing. Also, the pick of Diageo as distiller of the year for 2013 was pretty amusing.

To play Devil's Advocate: Their Winter Buying Guide was priced much more reasonably. The most expensive item on there (that's available in the U.S., anyway) was Redbreast 21, and the majority of their picks were below 100. Admittedly, this is mostly due to the Fall/winter being Bourbon Special Release Season, but they very easily could have put 3-4 stupid expensive limited release whiskies on there if that was what they were out to do.

All that being said, I hate for this to serve as discouragement for folks just getting into the scotch game. For anyone in that boat reading this thread, I would ask you to keep two things in mind: 1.) Ultra-Aged and Ultra-Rare limited Edition Scotch is a millionaire's game. Do not even try to play. You will lose, especially with Scotch Whisky Distillers jacking up prices to get some of the sugar that used to flow into the secondary market instead of their coffers. 2.) If you live near a big city or two, you could spend your entire life drinking scotch whiskies that Whisky Advocate rates 85 and up and never spend more than $100 for a single bottle. Many of these bottles will be less than $60. Amazing scotch doesn't have to cost 5 bajillion dollars a bottle.

There are consolations Eric, I can spend the rest of my life being perfectly content drinking Bourbon and never spending more than $30 a bottle.

There are consolations Eric, I can spend the rest of my life being perfectly content drinking Bourbon and never spending more than $30 a bottle.
Also an excellent strategy. Hopefully we aren't nearing an age of the $50 bottle of bourbon.

Please keep in mind that there are over 100 whiskeys reviewed in the upcoming buying guide, with more than half of them <$100. And a lot of them nice whiskeys. This Top 10 list is less than 10% of the whiskeys reviewed.

I took Mr. Hansell's recommendation and purchased a 375ml bottle of BTEC Extended Stave Drying Time. It was significantly over MSRP @ $63 instead of $47, so hopefully it's good stuff.

I took Mr. Hansell's recommendation and purchased a 375ml bottle of BTEC Extended Stave Drying Time. It was significantly over MSRP @ $63 instead of $47, so hopefully it's good stuff.

It is quite good. I have had it for awhile and it is the only thing on the list I currently possess! Like most of the BTEC's I am not sure it is $100 whiskey, much less $126, but it is well aged at 15 years and an interesting experiment. Although to fully appreciate the experimental part of the equation one has to plunk down the $47-63 for the "regular" 6 month stave drying time side of the experiment and I was never able to find that particular bottle. Don't think there is a BT mashbill #1 that weighs in at about 15 years that could sub for the regular stave drying time side of the experiment. I suppose BTAC ER 17yo comes closest!

Of course even the ER 17 isn't $100 whiskey at least at standard retail price...

It is quite good. I have had it for awhile and it is the only thing on the list I currently possess! Like most of the BTEC's I am not sure it is $100 whiskey, much less $126, but it is well aged at 15 years and an interesting experiment. Although to fully appreciate the experimental part of the equation one has to plunk down the $47-63 for the "regular" 6 month stave drying time side of the experiment and I was never able to find that particular bottle. Don't think there is a BT mashbill #1 that weighs in at about 15 years that could sub for the regular stave drying time side of the experiment. I suppose BTAC ER 17yo comes closest!

Of course even the ER 17 isn't $100 whiskey at least at standard retail price...

The liquor store I got it from had the Extended and the 6 month Stave Drying Time side by side for the same price. I just figured I'd enjoy the bourbon as is and save myself the extra expense.

No problem with their SEASONAL NEW RELEASE buying guide being loaded with high end offerings. Not too much in bourbon world released 1Q of the year.

This issue comes up every couples months or so (typically with the buying guides) and has been discussed ad nauseaum. The magazines purpose is to review whiskey - both every-man and elite whiskeys - and provide interesting articles about the industry. It does just that. It caters to all whiskey nerds, both rich and poor, and is non-discriminatory when it comes to price, meaning that they review everything.

Yeah, it sucks that you cant afford Black Bowmore or Bowmore 50 year or whatever. Neither can I. I bet John and the rest of the reviewers cant either (fringe benefit of their job is that they get a small taste). But some people can. And just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it shouldn't be reviewed and recommended to others that can.

One thing that I love above Whiskey Advocate is that it gives you a chance to see $50-$100 releases that whiskey nerds (i.e. the reviewers) think compare to $500-$1000 releases.

Lets stop putting John and the rest of the crew at Whiskey Advocate on the firing line and just enjoy the reviews/articles.

This issue comes up every couples months or so (typically with the buying guides) and has been discussed ad nauseaum. The magazines purpose is to review whiskey - both every-man and elite whiskeys - and provide interesting articles about the industry. It does just that. It caters to all whiskey nerds, both rich and poor, and is non-discriminatory when it comes to price, meaning that they review everything.

Yeah, it sucks that you cant afford Black Bowmore or Bowmore 50 year or whatever. Neither can I. I bet John and the rest of the reviewers cant either (fringe benefit of their job is that they get a small taste). But some people can. And just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it shouldn't be reviewed and recommended to others that can.

One thing that I love above Whiskey Advocate is that it gives you a chance to see $50-$100 releases that whiskey nerds (i.e. the reviewers) think compare to $500-$1000 releases.

Lets stop putting John and the rest of the crew at Whiskey Advocate on the firing line and just enjoy the reviews/articles.

Well put sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point, Justin. I can't afford most of the stuff but I still like reading about them, especially when I pick up a "bargain" bottle that compares favorably to the really expensive ones. With few exceptions, I've generally found that there is a law of diminishing returns whenever I've spent more than $100 on a bottle (which hasn't happened often). I usually thoroughly enjoy the whiskey but find myself asking, "Is this really that much better than _____ for what I spent on it?"

It's just the nature of specialty interest publications the readership of which includes ardent (passionate?) fans of the subjects.

I suppose it may have come off that way on further reflection but my original intent really wasn't to put John and WA on the spot for the article. More to note it seems a reflection of the trend of the industry. Although going back and looking at some past ones suggests it has always run the gamut from relative bargains to relatively insane.

Although, as I noted in the OP, I still would like to see them consider an additional blog that pulls out the best of whisk(e)y under XX price range. Whether that be on a seasonal or annual basis I think it would be useful and might engender more subscriptions if we "common folk" felt we were getting a little love!

Perhaps that has happened and I have just missed it?

Well, when we buy the Sports Illustrated special do we want to see the swimsuits or the models.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.