Bluffhunter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My local store bumped up Bookers to $55. I have KC single barrel and wondering if justify to spend the cash on Bookers? is it that much different or am I better off buying something different from Bookers for same cash or couple mid range bottlings of something else since already have KCSB?

Another viewpoint is whether it's worth it to me to try something different, which is what I did for a lot of years. Sure, there were a number I didn't buy again but wouldn't have known not to replace them if I hadn't tried them.

Of course if I'd had a resource like StraightBourbon years ago there are a bunch of overpriced NDP offerings using the same LDI whisky that I would've avoided.

I make quite a few bourbon cocktails, and if I'm making a Whiskey Sour or Old Fashioned in which the whiskey will be watered down by fruit juice or other mixers, I'll use Booker's so that the cocktail's final proof is still up there between 85 and 95. If I used Booker's with a Manhattan, where it's nothing but booze, it's a tasty but hammering drink! :bigeyes:

Prefer KCSB or WTRB in a Manhattan...makes a very nice cocktail in a good 3:1 mix.

I make quite a few bourbon cocktails, and if I'm making a Whiskey Sour or Old Fashioned in which the whiskey will be watered down by fruit juice or other mixers, I'll use Booker's so that the cocktail's final proof is still up there between 85 and 95. If I used Booker's with a Manhattan, where it's nothing but booze, it's a tasty but hammering drink! :bigeyes:

My wife and I never put anything in our Booker's except an occasional drop of water just to open it up, not to reduce the proof. The trick is to sip it slowly, enjoying the nuances as they reveal themselves. Hammered is an experience we have never had with Booker's. Like Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya.

I too saw it for $55 today, but it was at a store I dont frequent in the adjacent state. Its usually $46 or so here.

KCSB at $36-38 Id take every time over Bookers at $55. at $46, it's only a rare purchase. I dont find tremendous difference between them, unless theyre side by side....and still not tremendous, but noticeable.

Booker's is $60 in Virginia ABC stores today (online pricelist and actual sighting on the shelf), and it is about $58 in the WashDC stores I frequent most.

Booker's is $60 in Virginia ABC stores today (online pricelist and actual sighting on the shelf), and it is about $58 in the WashDC stores I frequent most.

Damn, I think I paid $45 for Bookers here in Oklahoma 2 weeks ago.

I prefer the extra age of the KCSB over Bookers, but that's just my palate.

Oh . . . and the 20 bucks saved is nice, too.

I prefer the extra age of the KCSB over Bookers, but that's just my palate.

Oh . . . and the 20 bucks saved is nice, too.

Booker's was $10 cheaper at Lexington Liquor Barn than in Ohio--so I bought two. Invested the saving in KCSB: $35 vs $43 in OH. The KY price for the SB is only a dollar more than the SmB in OH so it seemed like a no brainer. If I had to choose between Booker's at the OH price and KCSB at the KY price, I'd take the KCSB and reinvest the $20 in a free bottle of EC12 or BT.

Booker's was $10 cheaper at Lexington Liquor Barn than in Ohio--so I bought two. Invested the saving in KCSB: $35 vs $43 in OH. The KY price for the SB is only a dollar more than the SmB in OH so it seemed like a no brainer. If I had to choose between Booker's at the OH price and KCSB at the KY price, I'd take the KCSB and reinvest the $20 in a free bottle of EC12 or BT.

well put. I love both, but KCSB is by far the better deal. Depends on your specific tastes, but on paper, KCSB is the better deal. 2 years older (on average), about 5-7 proof points lower, very similar profile, and $10-15 cheaper. Fortunately, both are readily available, and its up to the individuals taste.

True but unfortunately the internet has allowed Mrs TT to shop at will. The UPS and FedEx men deliver more often than the postman.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.