You see Whistlepig 10/100 and Jeffersons 10/100 on a shelf - who buys the WP?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know myself, if I walked into a store in search of some rye, and they had Jeff 10 sitting there for $35, and WP 10 at $70 (the prices I typically see in my area), I don't think I ever leave the Jeff 10 behind in favor of WP. But obviously people are buying it? And by no means am I suggesting they're wrong in some way for doing so (we all have different tastes, and Jeff 10 might not be available where they are). Just curious who amongst SB nation would take the WP over Jeff 10, and why?

Not I! Had both and there is not $5.00 difference in flavor for my taste. But then again I don't have any plans to buy either in the foreseeable future.

Plenty of other damn fine ryes without the :bs: to bother with either of these.

The current Jefferson 10/100 Rye have removed reference that was from Canada, leading most to believe they have changed source. So if you liked the 100% Canadian Rye, then you might buy the Whistlepig for more $$$. Of course you would need to trust Whistlepig to be selling the 100% Canadian rye and I would not trust anything from Whistlepig.

I bought my WP for $54, so less than the $70 in your example. But if faced with buying only one, I'd probably do the Jeff. Similar stuff, and cheaper.

That said, I own both, and am fine having both. As mentioned, the Jeff canadian is gone by me, so I am apt to keep a bottle of WP around generally. I have only one bottle of the Jeff canadian.

Since when is the Jeff Rye 100°? 94° last I checked... Despite the lower proof, it definitely carries a dirtier kick than the WP, which finishes clean as a thistle. It's been a year or two since I've had WP, but it always hit me as a more assertive honey barrel than the Jeff, though I've had some private barrel Jeff picks that were outstanding.

I am now curious to try a WP 10 that has the Bourbon barrel finished label to compare to my older bottle that does not to see if I can detect any difference. Might throw my older Jeff 10 that still says Canada in there for comparison.

That's the spirit, toss 'em all into the ring and see which is left standing.

Ineed, I try to be as full of spirit as possible! I certainly was last night but not a lot of standing was involved thankfully. One of the advantages of having the tasting at my own home!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.