Very Old Jefferson's Reserve

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After seeing an ad about this new product I decided to give Trey Zoeller a call and find out a bit more about it. All I know for now is that it will be a series of releases bottled at ages between 17 years old and 25 years old at various proofs. The first bottling is expected to be released next January. He said they are still working on proof and such but he will inform me once he has all the details finalized and I'll be sure to pass that info along to you all here in this post. Also, he said that this first bottling is expected to be limited to approximately 2200 bottles give or take and that subsequent releases with different ages/proofs may be seen each quarter.

Did he give you an idea of price , Mark? Also did he say any thing about the Jefferson's that recently came out. Is he pleased and think it well received so far?

<font color="blue"> Good God Give Gene Krupa Some</font>

Unfortunately Bobby, no. We did not speak very long but he promises to contact me in a week or two when he will know more. At that time I will be sure to get an approximate price from him on the Very Old Jefferson's Reserve and also ask him about his opinions on Jefferson's in the marketplace thus far.

One of the whiskey magazines, I forget if it was The Malt Advocate, Whiskey Magazine... One of em' lol.gif I just emailed Trey asking him to please furnish me with pricing and stuff as soon as he knows more. Also I mentioned how we would love to see some photos if possible, maybe he could make showing them here an 'exclusive'. lol.gif

Mark, this belongs in our new Super Premium/Specialty section.

The initial release will be 20, maybe 21 yrs old. Subsequent expressions will, as you said, range from 17 to 25 y/o. All will be similarly sized batches, (2000-2400 bottles). No word on cost, but my guess is the initial VOJR will be $75-80. That's getting up there in Pappy's range, let's hope it delivers an extraordinary tasting experience.

Omar

Thanks Omar, yeah forgot to post it down here...

If the tasting experience is a good one, that price range would be respectable for a 20-21 year product. If that will in fact be the price-range.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that they will be small batch releases. But hey, you never now, maybe they will eventually do a single barrel release. But as I do get more info from Trey I will be sure to post it in here for everyone...

Way to get us the inside scoop, my man! Are these all variations in age and proof on the Jefferson Reserve bottling or are their alternate mashbills at play (example is this going to be sismilar to Birthday bourbon in purpose or is it like BT antiques??)?

Tom (investigative) C

Very good question Tom. I actually had that one, along with a growing list of others, already written on my list of 'to find out' from Trey when we next speak lol.gif When I tried getting some info this morning from him he really didn't know a whole bunch yet, but he says that he'll have alot more information in a few weeks so I just left it at that.

I'm not clear on the status of McLain & Kyne: is it a free-standing, independent distillery, a subsidiary (like Labrot & Graham) of a large company, or independent dealer? I should know this but do not, and would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Gary

It is owned by Trey Zoeller and his brother,Chet. They have as far as I know 2 labels, Sam Houston and the various incarnations of Jefferson's Reserve. Even Kulsveen does the bottling for them . The whiskey comes from someone with excess capacity,some say Heaven Hill, I think the Jeffersons tastes like Barton ( MashBill) to me. I guess whoever knows is laughing up their sleeve at that last one, particularly if it isn't.

<font color="blue"> Good God Give Frank Beard Some </font>

At Willetts old Distillery, Which I think is the picture on McClain & Kyne Website. It's on passed Heaven Hill toward Maker's Mark , Up on the hill to the left, near the burned out HH distillery. I guess every one knows but I'll repeat it here. Even married Thompson Willetts Daughter, Martha.

<font color="red"> Good God Give Terry Bozzio Some </font>

I have looked again at the picture on their website, and several others that I have. I think that indeed it is the Willett distillery in the picture.

Guys,

Our spy Brenda checked this place out two years ago...it was nothing more than a storage facility if memory serves.

Omar

I thought it was understood that no distilling has taken place there since a failed attempt to convert the distillery for fuel alcohol in the 70s. Sorry.

<font color="blue">Good God Give Graeme Edge Some </font>

Several liquor store people in several states (TN, KY, IND) when they see me looking at bourbon have asked if I've tried Jeff. Reserve. They seem to think it is very good and selling well.

Greg, we were wondering how the new Jefferson's that was released recently was doing in the marketplace. (at least I think Bobby was talking about the new Jefferson's release when he asked about how it is doing so far) Though it is nice to see that even Jefferson's Reserve is doing well too. It's a shame it doesnt find its way onto my bar more often... I usually grab it when there is a good sale going on.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to tell anyone who may be waiting for an update about VOJR that I still have not heard from Trey. banghead.gif I've emailed him at the email addy he gave me (seemed like his personal one if you ask me) and I still haven't heard anything back. He did say that it may be a few weeks so here's to hoping he didn't forget us! I'll give him one more week and then resend the original email. I did ask many of the fine questions that you all posed in this thread so I'll get back to everyone soon. toast.gif

Mark,

It takes patience -- lots of patience -- more patience than any one man can stand!!! So in the meantime, I'll just have another one, sit back and relax, and wait for the reply!! Here's to you toast.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif. I am having a great time tonight!! Tonight is very special to me - remember it is Veteran's Day.

Cheers,

Marvin

Tonight is very special to me - remember it is Veteran's Day.

So true Marvin, it is a special day here as well. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.