What I learned at Distill America

Tony Santana
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yesterday I went to Distill America here in Madison, a fun event, 50+ vendors, all the big boys like Beam, BT, WT, 4R, etc., plus a ton of craft distilleries. All sorts of spirits, but a majority had whiskeys. What I learned:

1. The extra $10 for the VIP ticket was well worth it.

2. The Sinatra JD is very good - but not worth $200 a bottle.

3. Didn't try all the Michter's, but of the ones I sampled I liked the Sour Mash the best.

4. The new ETL will be a limited edition run. At least if you believe the BT rep. Which I'm not sure I do, since he didn't know it was going to be 93 proof. I'm pretty sure I knew more about BT than he did.

5. WT will have a new limited edition called "Diamond" to celebrate Jimmy Russell's 60 years in the business. And Eddie Russell is a really nice guy.

6. I liked the Breckenridge, the Bulleit 10 year and the B&E, none of which I had tried before. But I didn't like the first two enough to pay what I see it going for at retail around here.

7. The Pritchard's Chocolate Bourbon was surprisingly good, and the chocolate did not overwhelm. Thinking this might be a gateway choice for my wife, who will sample sips of my selections, claim to like it, but never actually have a glass of her own.

8. I liked Real Russian vodka better than Tito's, which was also good.

9. High West does plan on bringing Bourye back, but they think the bourbon still needs to age another year. And it is pronounced "BOO-rye".

10. The HW Campfire is too peaty for me. I've enjoyed all their products I've had up to this one, but this sampling just saved me some money on that bottle.

11. The spit jar is your friend. So is water.

12. Smooth Ambler's own distillate is going to be a wheated bourbon (had heard that one from Yeti before), but they still plan to have other offerings, and I was advised to stay tuned for "something special". Really liked the OS Ten (have a bottle at home, but hadn't opened it yet).

13. The next Parker's Heritage is indeed going to be a 13 year wheat whiskey. And the HH rep seemed surprised I knew that.

14. Old Potrero? Just saved myself some more money. Was not overly impressed.

15. Dickel seems likely to continue with their 9 year/103 proof barrel select program.

16. Not that I drink enough brandy to necessarily justify a purchase, but the 12 year Korbel is pretty darn good.

17. I shouldn't expect any cask strength AE bourbon or rye in these parts for at least a year, if then. But Kyle Henderson seems like a nice fellow.

18. A local product, Yahara Bay's "V", ain't half bad. Still a little youngish, but at the right price I might get some. Then again, it came at the tail end of my sampling, so who knows how discerning I was at that point. Perhaps I better try it again before purchasing.

19. Corsair Triple Smoke. That was near the end as well. I was still discerning enough to know I didn't like that one. Cool label though.

Nice report. I'm glad to hear someone else didn't like Old Potrero. I like anchor's beers, but I find their whiskey pretty disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great report Tony! Ya' done real good. :grin: I really have to give you credit. It's short, concise, and right to the point. Something I could never hope to accomplish, as I'm old school and tend to embellish a lot. :rolleyes: Nice job.

Joe

I also found Old Potrero disappointing and haven't had an inkling to replace the first couple of early bottles.

Edited by squire

15. Dickel seems likely to continue with their 9 year/103 proof barrel select program.

yay!.................

Hey Tony , I was going to ask you if you were going to that, I had the choice - Binny's or that... I took Binny's,Glad to hear you made it, might have to put it on my calender for next yr. Definitely closer! Out of the two Michter's I tried the Sour Mash was my least favorite, the $90 or so version was great.

Great report Tony! Ya' done real good. :grin: I really have to give you credit. It's short, concise, and right to the point. Something I could never hope to accomplish, as I'm old school and tend to embellish a lot. :rolleyes: Nice job.

Joe

Believe me Joe, if you ask my wife she'll say that's all I do is embellish. But I figured I better stick to bullet points or no one would want to read it.

Believe me Joe, if you ask my wife she'll say that's all I do is embellish. But I figured I better stick to bullet points or no one would want to read it.

Now that's funny. :lol: I'm not sure, but maybe our wives are related somehow :rolleyes: Hope to meet you and share a pour or two someday. :grin:

Now that's funny. :lol: I'm not sure, but maybe our wives are related somehow :rolleyes: Hope to meet you and share a pour or two someday. :grin:

+1. Great report.

Can't wait to see what Smooth Ambler is going to come up with. What they've been bottling so far has been delicious (though I have only tried the 7 year old)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.