BOTM 3/14: Maker's Mark

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know that Maker's Mark has been the BOTM before, but its been a few years. Considering the recent news about the expansion at MM, I thought it would be a good time to revisit it as BOTM. We've also had many new members join since 2006. I'm also running out of ideas for BOTM, and can, and will use any excuse I can to come up with one. :lol: But seriously….

As I stated in the "What Are You Drinking" thread, I had a pour of MM last night. It's amazing how often I forget about MM until someone mentions it, or some news come out about it. I think that at least a few other folks here might experience the same thing. I don't often have a pour of Maker's at home, but I will have one sometimes when I'm out. A lot of places seem to only have what I call "the usual suspects". Those are, MM, Beam, WR, and/or maybe a couple of others. If that's the case, I'll almost always pick MM.

FWIW, I do like MM. It was my gateway bourbon, and I'll always have at least one bottle in my cabinet.

That's about it from me. I won't bother with any tasting notes. Have fun, happy posting, and let's hear what y'all have to say about the "Red Head". :grin:

Cheers! Joe

I like MM about as well as severaL others I drink regularly; however, Maker's costs rather more dough, so I don't often have a bottle at home. I do, also find it to be a reliable pour when visiting a poorly stocked bar/restaurant. Most have MM, along with Beam white label, and JD, and often that's about it. Not a bad dram; but basically overpriced for how it hits me.... just my humble opinion.

With no competition from Weller OWA or Weller 12 anymore, Makers starts to look pretty good. I actually picked up a bottle not too long ago. It was the first in years. I ended up liking it quite a bit. I think next time I'll get the 1.75L. Some places have that for $45. With all the bs we hear about the old S-W distillery, I'm reminded Makers was heavily influenced by the original Old Fitzgerald. I would like if the expansion meant the gold top MM comes back.

Makers is really nice. It's my go to anywhere outside the home because, as you mentioned, it's about the only option at most places. I never buy it for the home, though, simply because I can buy it at restaurants and bars, and what I DO buy for home isn't found anywhere except liquor stores.

Chicken or the egg discussion: Do bars and restaurants stock mostly Makers because people order mostly Makers, or do people order mostly Makers because bars and restaurants stock mostly Makers? My guess is the latter amongst bourbon aficionados like those here, but perhaps the general public would prefer Makers because of the familiarity...

Just picked up a bottle of MM while I was in Phoenix. Really enjoy the stuff, very nice with a hint of spice and not a lot of burn on the back end.

If I could pick it up for 18.99 instead of the 27.99 here in Boise, it would be a regular in my rotation.

It's about a year too young for my tastes, but my wife loves the nose on it. Just don't drink it too quickly, as the harsh young elements will take over. I tried to finish a glass fast on the way to a snowman contest in the big Northeast storm a couple of weeks ago, and that stuff just got downright mean.

I like it. Having said that, I don't think it's worth the price.

Ditto. They do a great job of marketing (and I think their "ambassador" program is pretty cool), but all of that marketing costs money.

what I am hoping is that once they get done with the expansion and adding the other still, is that 5-6 years down the road they have enough stock on hand that they can add another line or expression to their offerings. Right now, it is just MM and MM46. Who here wouldn't buy a MM6BIB, or just a MM 100? I would.

Makers is one of my favorites, I always have one in the cabinet. First bourbon I started drinking.

Before my wife and I got married, I found out that her great-grandmother, and more of her family was from Lebanon, KY. I thought, "sweet!, we need to go visit Maker's Mark...err, I mean your family!" That trip did happen a couple times, and started a nice tradition of visiting distilleries in KY.

So Maker's Mark has a place in my heart. I sometimes have a straight pour of MM at home, but mostly use it to make my most favorite mixed drink: A Kentucky Redgrass. Maker's and cranberry juice. Man that is great on a hot day. For some reason that drink does not work for me with a rye based bourbon, or other whiskey in general. But Maker's, and any of the Weller's make a mean Kentucky Redgrass.

And yes, I participated in the Ambassador program. It was enjoyable.

IMG_20130324_142553_010_zps1554d657.jpg

I hate to say it but MM is something I order not buy,every time I do have a pour when I'm out I'm actually shocked at how much I like it but pricing is off base for what it truly is IMHO.I will openly and honestly admit that I much prefer the M46 by a long shot and have bought several bottles and it is definitely a bold step in the right direction at least for me it is.

MM was my gateway bourbon. It's where I started. I purchase a bottle maybe once a year to revisit it.

I used to say Makers was too expensive too. Back a few years ago, OWA had a 7 year age statement, 107 proof, a couple bucks cheaper than MM, and not too hard to find. I'm playing devil's advocate. What other decent wheated bourbons are out there nowadays? The only ones I can think of are Old Fitz BIB, and Larceny (only in some states). It's debatable. I'm not talking about dusties or limited release super expensive stuff.

MM was the first bourbon I ever bought, and it happened to coincide with their short-lived attempt to dilute the product. Even so its still my favorite and something I keep along with Weller 12 for everyday. It seems a bargain to me compared to the crazy prices even a newbie like me can notice for the many sourced craft bourbons out there.

Makers is kind of like meatloaf for me. I'm never really excited about the prospect of having it, but once I have some I always like it, and I'll probably have seconds. Always keep some on hand even if I, like others here, am more likely to order it in a bar than to pour one at home. It's a good reliable pour and around here it's one of the few wheaters we can reliably purchase. All that said, I definitely like MM46 better.

So funny for me to see this as BOTM as a relative newbie to the site because this was my first ever bourbon years ago. Since last year I've been doing nothing but try to expand my tastes which means I'm drinking everything BUT Maker's. I revisited it a month ago at a party and didn't care for it, but to be fair I was drinking from a plastic cup and there was a lot of smoke from a fireplace in the air so I couldn't even get a proper nose on it.

Looks like it's time to head back to the store for another sample bottle!

I like MM, but I've never bought a bottle of it. If I'm out for dinner or just cocktails, and don't feel like drinking beer, it seems as though I always order MM.

I had my first taste of 46 while vacationing over the holidays and liked it quite a bit, but I think it is overpriced.

MM flipped price points with OWA out here, last year.

It used to be roughly $22-25 for MM, $18.99 for OWA. Now it's reversed..... and OWA isn't even on shelves at all now. So MM is suddenly a lot more attractive.

That said, like most others... It's my go-to at poorly stocked bars, but not really something I buy for home. I was gifted a bottle of M46 over the holidays, and find that VERY enjoyable.

We keep minis of MM on hand. It's our go-to bourbon for any recipe calling for "whiskey" (because it clashes with nothing) and to offer newbies who find BT or JBB too "hot". I first tasted it in the mid-1970s. I've always thought it was good, not great, but sweeter and lacking the cinnamon/grain bite that I like. But then, it's a wheater so I'm not surprised. When we're out, I'll usually choose it as a change of pace unless the bar has something I really want to taste. My home wheaters are OFitzBIB and Larceny.

I like MM, nice sweet and smoot but lacking finish. For the price will grab a bottle of FRSmB or BT instead. I do have bottle of MM46 is better but for that price bump will buy FRSB or WTRB better.

I keep a bottle of M46 at home, and used to keep MM on hand as a good mixer, but lately Larceny has taken that spot. Like most everyone else, I do tend to fall back on MM in restaurants that suggest JD when I ask what kind of bourbon they have behind the bar.

It seems that a lot of you guys out here have stated that MM was your gateway into the bourbon world, I wonder why?,I don't mind it,and do not have a bottle on hand currently,it's been a while since I visited the MM or the MM46, but I do believe price was always a factor, and at a bar or restaurant, I will definitely choose MM over JD.When we visited the distillery last fall,they offered a white dog as one of their samples,that was pretty good,and their pulled pork sandwich wasn't bad either.

It seems that a lot of you guys out here have stated that MM was your gateway into the bourbon world, I wonder why?

It is my go to in restaurants. Goes well with a lot of food. I have MM46 a lot at home. I think if they aged it 10-12 years and bottled it at 100 proof it would blow away anything else available today....

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.