Glendronach lovers: 12 vs. 15?

Brisko
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here's the deal. I know that the 15 "Revival" is highly regarded. But I'm not always crazy about sherry bombs. It took me quite a while to finish my first A'Bunadh... and it was very good, just not my style.

But here I am, hankering for a sherried Speysider, and I'm quite tempted by the 15, which I can get for about $75. But part of me says, buy the 12 for under $50 and grab a bottle of bourbon with the difference.

And I should say that I generally prefer a more meaty, nutty, mentholated dram to a syrupy sweet and spicy one.

Opinions? (other brands welcome too).

You won't go wrong with either one. There's difference, but the 12 a great value. I'd go with the 12 and a McKenna 10 SB if you can get it. But I love the 15 too. There's no wrong choice.

Can you compare/contrast them?

love the McKenna and you're right, I need another one.

I've got both open - and both are good - but I would go with the 12. Great balance of the malt, sherry, and spices for a reasonable price. In my limited notes, I actually wrote down "mega sherry bomb" for the 15. (But your idea of a sherry bomb and mine might be different.)

Sounds like you might be a Mortlach kind of guy.

Good advice, unfortunately, the days of affordable Mortlach (when you could find one) are OVER!

Google: "diageo unveils new mortlach"

I'm gonna say the 12, unless you can find one of the older 15 bottlings. Or just go balls out for the 33 year.

I have not had the 15 yet but I love the 12. Enough so that I ordered 6 bottles for my bunker for when they get "younger".

I haven't had the 12 yet but really enjoyed the 15. I need to try some 12 apparently

I've had neither, but I picked up a Revival last week. I have a 1996 from PX barrels and it's a bit syrupy for me, so I went with the 15 because it's 100% Oloroso. I need to drain some bottles before I open my Revival.

Well, I took the consensus advice and got the 12. At first taste it seems right up my alley. There's a bunch of sherry but there's a lot going on in the background: grassy, farmy, with a touch of smoke. Thanks guys!

Oh and I picked up a bottle of White Horse. Always did like that blend.

I've had neither, but I picked up a Revival last week. I have a 1996 from PX barrels and it's a bit syrupy for me, so I went with the 15 because it's 100% Oloroso. I need to drain some bottles before I open my Revival.

I know a guy that can help you with that. In fact, he's an expert at draining 1996 PX finished, cask strength Glendronachs.

I know a guy that can help you with that. In fact, he's an expert at draining 1996 PX finished, cask strength Glendronachs.

When the weather gets better, I know just the spot.

It has been a few years since I had them...but I prefer the 12 year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.