Trybox New Make from Heaven Hill

B.B. Babington
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

All I found about Trybox New Make from Heaven Hill was closed threads saying it's coming and some other mentions, but no dedicated thread. So's... Found one at local for $26. Bottled at 125 proof. It's white and smells white. I'm sampling it after doing some taste comparisons of different McKenna SB BIB bottles so comparing New Make to those and not to other whites.

Nose is not pleasent compared to McKenna but does have a good white dog nose like some interesting shines. Flavor on the other hand is quite good. Tastes like a good, smooth white dog. Without back-to-back comparison and going by memory, I liked it better than BT White Dog. Even as a 125 proof white, it's worth holding in mouth to savor flavor. And the after is where I become most intrigued. The heaven hill floral after-taste is something I seek and treasure, and this gives it. Not as complex as McKenna and certainly not as complex as EC18, but definitely present. Makes me want to go further with actual serious study.

On another day will try it back-to-back with a bunch o' other whites.

Of course it's not as good as a wood seasoned product, but for those that study sips, this is definitely on the recommend, must have, go out and get it list.

Howdy!

Thanks. I have two Tryboxes (Corn & Rye). They were $49 each from the LCBO. I'm planning on doing a comparison tasting with them and some grappas.

What blows my mind is that the Trybox rye is more expensive than Rittenhouse BIB

It's amazing what they charge for "unique" but underaged whiskey these days.

Amazing that enough customers will pay the prices to encourage the practice.

"There's a sucker born every minute"

(often attributed to PT Barnum

I don't know why, but I got the impression that the Trybox series was marketed, or at least expected, to be consumed after further development and not consumed directly out of the bottle. If I could get my hands on quality high proof Heaven Hill distillate at a reasonable price like this, I would age some in a micro barrel for a couple years and/or mix it into cocktails and experiment with bitters, digestifs, aperitifs and other fun stuff.

About 2 years ago I bought 3 bottles of Trybox and aged them in small barrels. The end product came out ok, but not great. I'll leave the aging to those that have done it for many, many years.

• 3 weeks later...
What blows my mind is that the Trybox rye is more expensive than Rittenhouse BIB

TIL: The Trybox rye is 125 proof... so that explains it.

The higher price is mostly explained by the much lower volume, I believe. Who would make it a daily pour?

Howdy!

I found that adding some ginger syrup and fresh apple juice made for a reasonable cocktail with the Trybox new make... But definitely not a daily pour. More like a "what else can I drink so I can keep the good stuff longer..?"

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, never thought of this as a newb. I ran across some small barrels able to be bought new, I never thought to try aging white dog in my own barrels for a decade. Hmm pretty cool you tried it, if only it was priced dirt cheap it would be worth it.

• 6 months later...

If you age in a small barrel for more than a few months you will get a horrible undrinkable tar...that's if it doesn't all evaporate

That said, I *am* a fan of white whiskeys and drink them frequently...the Trybox corn is the best commercially produced I've ever tasted.

If you age in a small barrel for more than a few months you will get a horrible undrinkable tar...that's if it doesn't all evaporate

That said, I *am* a fan of white whiskeys and drink them frequently...the Trybox corn is the best commercially produced I've ever tasted.

Found that out the hard way! I held on to mine for quite some time, but I finally dumped my creation a few months back. Yuck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.