Pendleton 1910 100% Rye Canadian Whisky

emr454
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've searched, but not found much online about this whisky save for a couple online reviews that were mostly positive. The past couple times I've been in the local liquor store I've looked at this with slight intrigue but always put it back on the shelf. I tend to shy away from most canadian whisky due to addition of GNS, but the Pendleton 1910 doesn't state on the label if it has any GNS or not. None of the online reviews mention neutral spirits either.

If anyone has tried it, I'd like to get your thoughts on it. I tend toward high rye bourbons, and actually like MGPI's 95% rye mashbills, so being 100% rye (and 12 years old!) is tempting me to try it.

Eric

Eric perhaps I should mention no Canadian whisky contains any GNS. While it's true the base blending whisky is brought off the still at a high proof and is relatively neutral as far as taste goes, by law all whisky labeled as Canadian is aged in a barrel at least three years and of course any Canadian labeled 12 will contain no whisky younger than 12.

I thought it was pretty meh, but I'm not a huge Canadian Whisky fan. Here were my notes:

Nose: Spicy with rye

Palate: Sweet rye, peppermint sticks; it just gets sweeter as you go along.

Finish: Candy sweetness with a touch of spice

This one had some nice spice but the sweetness became a bit overwhelming.

C+

At 100% rye, it could still be a blend, combining the base whiskies that Squire referred to with the flavor whiskies that come off the still at a lower proof.

http://www.lawhiskeysociety.com/whiskey-profile/2965/Pendleton-1910

It could also mean some of the whisky was aged in second use barrels, for at least 12 years of course.

I bought a bottle several months ago after deciding I just had to learn something about Canadian whisky. Of the 20 or so I flagged after reading Davin de K's 'Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert' this one caught my eye first.

Hadn't touched it since trying it neat one night and in a 2:1 Manhattan (w/Dolin's in the 1st one & M&R in the 2nd). Just refreshed my recollection with a neat pour or two before dinner.

In the Manhattans: better w/M&R as P's sweetness doesn't fit the subtler (to me) flavors in Dolins.

Neat: quick heat (a surprise in 80 proofer) goes away; slight acetic (?) smell w/hint of butterscotch.

Mid-palate reminded me of years ago when I smoked a pipe & sometimes got a taste of hot dottle - not terrible, just a slightly bitter note - giving way to light pepper.

Finish was light spice and disappeared quickly.

IN SUM - pretty simple and "light" for 12 year old stuff. Rumor has it that Alberta Distillers makes it but uses a special mash bill. How special is 100% rye? Pretty hard to change the %age. hahaha.

Was OK for a Canadian rye and I do mean that as a compliment. I hope a couple of the Canadian SBers chime in; they've helped me in the past.

I believe Harry is correct, the distiller is Alberta Springs, who is widely known for their 100% rye whisky. Of course the different brands they make don't all taste the same any more than all Heaven Hill whisky made from the same mashbill tastes the same.

Canadians are not limited by law in aging their whisky so long as it rests in a barrel for at least three years. New charred, toasted or reuse American Oak, European Oak, wine casks (sherry, port or others) even rum if they want. The combination of cooperage and warehousing choices provide a fascinating range of aging opportunities.

Thanks, Squire. I expect the blog touting the specialness of the mash bill didn't consider the effect aging has. I should have put a "duh" in there. I was surprised at the absence of oak given the length of time it spent in barrels. If the barrels were NOT charred, would that explain it? Do you know if Canadian law says anything about "charred"? I can't remember. All in all,it was pretty thin and light for its age, leaving me wondering just how they did that.

Canadian law doesn't require charred barrels of any degree but of course they do use them. I don't think the use of refill barrels is purely economic, rather the Canadians are copying the Scottish model and are shooting for a lighter style of whisky as well.

Unlike the other Alberta-sourced ryes (WP, Madtersons, Jeff 10), this one does not say "straight" rye anywhere. Neither does it taste similar. Back when I was blogging, I didn't bother reviewing it as folks were tired of me trashing Canadian stuff, but while 100% rye, this tastes like sweet Canadian stuff aged in exhausted barrels. I poured the last half out as it was ruining perfectly good ginger ale.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

How does anyone know it was distilled from 100% rye grain?

From an image of the back label found on google I read: "100% Canadian Rye Whisky Handmade in Small Batches". That does not necessarily mean it was made using 100% rye grain (or any rye at all)! It probably means it is 100% "Canadian rye", which is the same as 100% "Canadian Whisky" since "rye" and "whisky" are synonymous terms in Canada.

Never assume that "100% Canadian Rye" means the whisky was made with rye. I have a bottle of Century Reserve 21yo that states on the front label: "Canadian Rye Whisky Canadien". This whisky was actually made from corn (100% corn, ZERO rye)

Edited by portwood

How does anyone know it was distilled from 100% rye grain?

From an image of the back label found on google I read: "100% Canadian Rye Whisky Handmade in Small Batches". That does not necessarily mean it was made using 100% rye grain (or any rye at all)! It probably means it is 100% "Canadian rye", which is the same as 100% "Canadian Whisky" since "rye" and "whisky" are synonymous terms in Canada.

Never assume that "100% Canadian Rye" means the whisky was made with rye. I have a bottle of Century Reserve 21yo that states on the front label: "Canadian Rye Whisky Canadien". This whisky was actually made from corn (100% corn, ZERO rye)

Very good point.

but unless Davin is too far off, this looks to be all rye...

I bow to the master of Cdn whisky :lol: carry on ...

I forgot about posting a comment to that blog entry. Two years on, not much has changed.

Everybody is raising good points. I don't take it for granted from the label, rather rely on the fact Alberta is one of the few Canadian distillerys that produce 100% rye whisky and have been doing so for years.

When it comes to Canadian whisky generally though I'm more guarded in my statements being mindful that the famous Bush Pilot was in fact a 100% corn distillate.

I don't take it for granted from the label ...

Absolutely!

The key point to keep in mind is that Canadian whisky definitions are NOT the same as American whiskey. So, when reading the label you must first determine where it was distilled/aged. If in Canada, forget all you know about American whiskey and proceed with caution.

Well, whatever is in it, I really like that bottle with the raised horsey on it.

I have it and while I don't go to it often I think it is a nice light slightly sweet whiskey for a simple old fashioned style cocktail and although a little thin at 80 proof if I don't want a lot of booze it works nice. The Hochstadler rock & rye has pushed it to the back of the cabinet lately for that purpose though. Will need to dust it off and try it again.

Don't know if it is truly a 100% rye or not. Despite the "fluidity" of Canadian whiskey rules I had presumed since it was bottled and sold in the US it was all rye from Alberta Distillers but it does seem to be a bit softer like the Canadian whisky style as I recall. Looking again I see it is labeled "Canadian Rye Whisky" so could be anything I suppose. Time to break out the ginger ale...

Probably won't be looking for another once it is gone especially now with the R&R around but it seems to be readily available around here.

I'd vote for saving your money and hunting down some Wiser's Legacy. Much better whiskey in my opinion.

This is all personal opinion of course, but I greatly disliked this one. I couldn't get through the bottle, as pretty as it is..... way too sweet without a lot else going on.

• 9 months later...

I was a little surprised by the taste of this rye. To my unsophisticated palate, it tasted liked aged rum. The closest I can match it to is a poor man's version of Ron Centenario 25 year, which happens to be one of my favorite rums. With Pendleton 1910 being a little more tannic & acidic. To me this doesn't taste like rye whisky, but not necessarily a bad thing though.

I forget to mention, this rye was recommended by a local shop owner that is self touted as knowing more about whisky than most people. He indicated it was the closest thing out their to VWFRR and it would go toe-to-toe in a direct comparison. Needless to say, apples to oranges comparison. I like both, but not the same experience.

Another one I need to try again. As best as I can remember I think it would be similar to the Millstone Rye (which is definitely 100% rye) from the Netherlands which also has a more dominant sweet profile for a rye.

Might be able to put together another special Friday edition of the Wednesday tasting this week to kick off the New Year and throw these two into the scrum!

• 2 weeks later...

I keep a bottle around for making Sazeracs, because of the low proof. Adding 140 proof Absinthe to a 100+ proof rye makes for a drink that I can't repeat immediately (Yes, I'm a Wimpy Whiskey Drinker).

Last November I visited HRD as part of some research I'm doing on the liquor industry here in The Beaver State. While interviewing one of the senior corporate officers we discussed the 1910. YES it's 100% rye. I asked if the source was Alberta Springs but got the usual corporate response ("We can't tell you that").

I also asked about the possibility of a higher proof version.

"It's been discussed" was the answer.

"Please discuss it some more" was my reply.

"Sure" she said.

But I 'm not holding my breath.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.