KY spring break trip

kwshannon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife and I went to KY for our spring break trip this year. We toured Beam, Willett, Barton, Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, and Buffalo Trace. We stopped at Four Roses, but did not have enough time to tour it before our scheduled tour of BT.

Beam's tour was very good. 40 of us were on the tour, walked through the buildings, had a moist finger of white dog going into a barrel, another moist finger helping empty a barrel of KC, and could get our own JBSB filled and personalized. Then we could get 2 samples of their products, I had Baker's and JB 12YO Signature.

Willett's tour had 7 of us, we walked through the facility, see the differences in scale. 2 samples, pot still bourbon and then any of their other products. I enjoyed the more personal tour size, and how this had a family touch.

Barton was the next morning, and we were the only ones on the tour. I tried to get the guide to personalize it, but she did not. The bottling lines were interesting, they have 7 and were running several, contract fills. 2 samples, and bourbon balls (yum). Gift shop had 6yo/86 signed bottles.

Maker's Mark tour was very good. Betty had about 20 of us, toured the facility, watched bottling of 46. Open cypress vats, some had just been filled that morning. 4 samples, white dog, MM, over-mature, and 46. The white dog was tinted green for St. Patrick's Day.

Woodford Reserve tour was good. Very good guide, very good looking facility, gift shop was going to open later that week after a remodel, so we were down the hill in the reception area. 1 sample, plus a bourbon ball.

We headed over to Lawrenceburg to overnight, planning to do stuff in Lexington and Frankfort. We happened to drive by Wild Turkey, it was late afternoon, so decided to stop in and do the gift shop and not have time for a tour. I walked over and picked up a WTRB 375, and went to pay for it. The clerk said after I paid, "I could take it over and Jimmy could autograph it". Jimmy? Yes, Jimmy was sitting over in the chairs, had finished for the day and often comes over and sits and signs. Holy Crap! Highlight of the trip. we stayed and caught the last tour of the day. Just the 2 of us. Jackson our guide caught on that we had toured several, and personalized it for us. We spent as much time talking NCAA basketball as we did about Jimmy's tasting area on 2nd floor. 2 samples, I had WTRB, and then RR Rye.

Our last day we stopped at Four Roses gift shop, did not have time to tour, picked up a OESQ, and then drove up to Buffalo Trace. BT's grouds are nice, even though spring had barely started to green up the place. We took the hard hat tour, about 20 of us winding through the plant, and warehouse C. The gift shop only had BT, because of issues with people standing for hours and then fighting over the few bottles of limited release when available. Shelly gave a good tour, 2 samples including BT.

Lots of fun, nice to see the different sizes and processes used. post-10329-14489820657621_thumb.jpg

post-10329-14489820627652_thumb.jpg

Edited by callmeox
fixed typo

Sounds like you had an awesome time. Glad you enjoyed our Kentucky Hospitality. Come back soon!

Maker's Mark tour was very good. Betty had about 20 of us, toured the facility, watched bottling of 46. Open cypress vats, some had just been filled that morning. 4 samples, white dog, MM, over-mature, and 46. The white dog was tinted green for St. Patrick's Day.

Betty is awesome.. thought maker's is alot better when its less than 10, but it doesn't happen very often anymore..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.