Limoncello Forum

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Couldn't make heads or tails of what to drink tonight (no Compass Box "the General" to pimp around) - Dug a little into the case and found this souvenir from Italy:

13503915653_f7d69934b6_z.jpg

By golly it takes like sugar, lemon, and more sugar - I was hoping for more tartness but it's just got this kind of lemon-pledgy thing going on. I'm not sure how to mix this away into a vatting though...

Edited by ChainWhip

I drink it maybe twice a year. It's basically lemon and sugar dumped into vodka in a not so sophisticated process (or pretty much how it was explained to me in Italy). I like it, but it's too sweet and matches well with no food to do it too often.

I've made it before (after our trip to Italy), and used small mason jars in the freezer. Other than sipping in the summer though, hadn't found any other use for it. Nice thing about the homemade version though, you can up the lemon (not to say the Italians got it all wrong or anything, but I just prefer more lemon and less sugar).

I see this stuff mentioned quite a bit and wonder if it wouldn't work in an old fashioned or whisky sour.

Agree you should drink it chilled or out of the freezer - that is where I kept mine. Squire, I've used about a 1/4 tsp in an old fashioned instead of simple syrup and it does work well.

Also agree with Gary here - it is easy enough to make if you are patient and make sure you don't get any of the pith, and I also use more lemon peel (and some orange peel) and less sugar.

I enjoy limoncello and making it around the fall so I can share some around Christmas. Usually just drink it straight as an after dinner drink out of the freezer. Like the idea of trying it in a Whiskey Sour.

Best regards, Tony

Make a Tequila Mockingbird II!

2 ounces Reposado tequila

1 ounce limoncello

1 ounce lemon juice

1/2 ounce simple syrup

2 dashes Angostura bitters

1 twist of lemon

Combine all liquid ingredients in a shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a twist of lemon.

Tends toward the sweet side but an amusing way to use up limoncello until summer time. You may prefer less (or no) simple syrup, especially if the limoncello is already on the sweet side.

Another favorite limoncello recipe but this is more of a summer cocktail:

My Favorite Mechanic is a Woman

1 bourbon

1 limoncello

1 lemon juice

1 Canton ginger

1 egg white

Dry shake then shake with ice and strain into Collins glass over fresh ice. Cherry garnish.

Hmm, not quite summer time but maybe a drink for the sampler?

I usually mix an ounce or so with a cup of lemonade and ice, and sip it on the porch in the summer. Would probably work well in ice tea too.

Thx B for the ideas!

YB: seems that would be a perfect way to net a sauced up Arnold Palmer ;)

• 6 months later...

For those who have made their own, 1. How long did you steep the peels? And 2. How much simple syrup would you recommend if made with a 750 of 100 proof? Im not a huge sweet fan, and it sounds like you all arent either. Im trying this with key lime peels. I just harvested over 150 and was looking for something to do with them.

I steep the lemon peels for 40 days with the alcohol - add the simple syrup and steep for another 40 days - so 80 days total.

I use about 2/3rds of the simple syrup that is usually called for. I'll do 85/15 lemon/blood orange (if I can find them).

Had this in Italy when My Bride and I made the trip in the early Summer this year ('14). The Very Best I had over there was made 'craft-style' at a farm we visited in the Sorrento area, and was un-labeled and sold for about half of what I saw it for later in the trip. I shoulda grabbed a few then, but had no clue so passed it up. That one was semi-tart, and was much more 'lemony' than the sweet stuff we were served later in the trip. I'll regret that for a long time, I guess.

I brought some home from Italy when my wife and I went there in '12. I keep it in the freezer but find that I never drink it. It does make a nice after dinner drink in place of dessert. Will have to try those drinks that Bruce suggested - especially the first one. Not too keen on egg in my drinks!

I brought some home from Italy when my wife and I went there in '12. I keep it in the freezer but find that I never drink it. It does make a nice after dinner drink in place of dessert. Will have to try those drinks that Bruce suggested - especially the first one. Not too keen on egg in my drinks!

Had this in Italy when My Bride and I made the trip in the early Summer this year ('14). The Very Best I had over there was made 'craft-style' at a farm we visited in the Sorrento area, and was un-labeled and sold for about half of what I saw it for later in the trip. I shoulda grabbed a few then, but had no clue so passed it up. That one was semi-tart, and was much more 'lemony' than the sweet stuff we were served later in the trip. I'll regret that for a long time, I guess.

Hi Rich, it was exactly this kind of experience that motivated me to try to make my own. I found the store bought stuff too sweet compared to what my relatives were drinking over there. The homemade stuff was definitely more concentrated with the essence of the fruit, and less sweet. As a generalization, I've found my grandmother's and aunt's desserts followed this model - less "sugar" sweetness, more fruit or honey in the desserts.

The key was really avoiding the pith when peeling, and going for the 80 day soak - patience! Just put it in a cabinet somewhere and forget about it for awhile ... :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.