Foreign Whisky of the Month - 04/2014: Glendronach

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's become somewhat of a favorite of many, at least for sherried Single Malts that is, the Foreign Whisky of the Month for April is Glendronach.

Seems like a good Winter to Spring kind of whisky to me.

Gosh, I haven't had this one in 30 years. Don't believe I've seen it around here either.

Bout time.

Just killed a bottle of the Specs 17yr PX (thanks, Johnny). Probably one of the best sherried malts I've ever had. No words - just plain awesomeness.

Opened up a 21 yr Olorosso, too. It's good, but not up to the level of the Specs 17. A little sulfur and a lot of prune.

Has anyone tried the current K&L 18yr PX? I'm definitely interested...

Bout time.

Just killed a bottle of the Specs 17yr PX (thanks, Johnny). Probably one of the best sherried malts I've ever had. No words - just plain awesomeness.

Opened up a 21 yr Olorosso, too. It's good, but not up to the level of the Specs 17. A little sulfur and a lot of prune.

Has anyone tried the current K&L 18yr PX? I'm definitely interested...

Sounds like you like the PX. I've been working on the 1996 17yo PX. Sometimes I like it for what it is, sometimes I'm choking on sour fruit cough syrup. I get pretty much all barrel and would have a very hard time telling you what the malt tastes like.

I'm not happy to hear you're finding sulfur on the 21yo. That's the 1992? I have that and the 15yo Revival on deck. I think I'll crack the Revival first.

That Spec's 17 was much less cloying than the 15yr single cask PX I had last year - perhaps it had enjoyed recasking regimen a la Mongo's GD article?

I've been enjoying the Specs 21Year Oloroso 1990… its great and I'm so glad I got this instead of MacAllan 18 for less money. Specs 17 Year PX 1994 is up next. I also love the 15 Year Revival.

Just killed a 15 and opened a 1990 23 yr old. I'm more excited that I have a line on a dusty 1963 12 year old in mint condition with tax strip. I'm in the feeling out stage with its current custodian.

Uh oh....this thread might get me back into a malt phase for the month of April.

Hell yes. One of my favorites. I was going to wait until my birthday rolled around to crack open the bottle I hand filled at the distillery last year (a CS 1993 oloroso), but I might have to accelerate that timeline in light of this celebration. If not, I just opened an OB 33 year that is a more than worthy consolation.

I have had the current 12 and 15 "Revival" a few years ago. I wasn't crazy about the 12, but loved the 15 year. Both are priced reasonably well for single malts as well..that's a plus.

After a hiatus from single malt for a while, I'm starting off with the Glendronach 12 tonight. My Gophers in the (NIT) Final Four. Should be an enjoyable night.

Love this stuff. The GlenDronach 21 is in my top 5 whiskies I have ever had. Delicious dark fudgy sweetness. Whenever I have a GD12 around the house it always disappears too quickly. And the fact that most of the 12s on shelves right now have 15-17 year old whiskey in them due to a distillery hiatus in the late 1990s, well, that just makes it a great value as well.

Just saw they are releasing a new bottling of the Grandeur, this time at 24 years. Undoubtedly very expensive.

u3e5u5eh.jpg

Only one of the regular releases, here. I like the 21 year too, but I finished my last one and can't find another locally.

Just saw they are releasing a new bottling of the Grandeur, this time at 24 years. Undoubtedly very expensive.

Love this stuff. The GlenDronach 21 is in my top 5 whiskies I have ever had. Delicious dark fudgy sweetness. Whenever I have a GD12 around the house it always disappears too quickly. And the fact that most of the 12s on shelves right now have 15-17 year old whiskey in them due to a distillery hiatus in the late 1990s, well, that just makes it a great value as well.

I had not heard that. I have the 12 and 15 revival bunkered up. I bought them and told myself I would not open any more bottles till I went through some of my opens. However, if the local bottles of the 12 are exceptional I may have to open mine and grab a couple for future use. Thanks for the heads up.

This was just the excuse I need to pop one of these bad boys open.

Enjoying Glendronach 15 tonight. Easily my favorite sub $100 speysider. A'bunadh gives it a run for its money and probably beats it in overall value, but it just isn't as elegant or well-constructed. Here's to hoping Glendronach is able to maintain its intrinsic quality once their new make comes of age.

u3e5u5eh.jpg

Only one of the regular releases, here. I like the 21 year too, but I finished my last one and can't find another locally.

In the latest WhiskyCast, Mark Gillespie reviews a new 15yo Tawny Port Glendronach. I"m not familiar with his preferences, but he gives it a 93 fwiw (go to 19:40 in the episode to hear the review). Has anybody seen this bottle around?

In the latest WhiskyCast, Mark Gillespie reviews a new 15yo Tawny Port Glendronach. I"m not familiar with his preferences, but he gives it a 93 fwiw (go to 19:40 in the episode to hear the review). Has anybody seen this bottle around?

I just had a sample of the Tawney Port Finish a couple weeks ago. It had Dronach bones but was missing the thick, chewy fruitiness that really makes today's Dronachs great. Definitely more malty than fruity. If push came to shove, I'd give it a mid 80s score...but I am by no means a professional taster.

I just had a sample of the Tawney Port Finish a couple weeks ago. It had Dronach bones but was missing the thick, chewy fruitiness that really makes today's Dronachs great. Definitely more malty than fruity. If push came to shove, I'd give it a mid 80s score...but I am by no means a professional taster.

I just picked up the Sauternes 14 year a little while back and I'm interested to see how it tastes. I really liked the non-sherried Aberlour that I have at CS from K&L. Sometimes a good malty pour is just what the doc ordered. I'm interested to try the non-sherried Mortlach from K&L too. It reminds me of the building blocks that the sherry bombs are built from.

Stopped into a cruddy strip mall store and saw a couple Glendronach 15's but they weren't the "revival" versions. Was there an older bottling of the 15 prior to Revival and is this something worth picking up? It was $69.99.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.