BOTM 4/14: Weller Special Reserve

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry gang, I know I'm late......again.:rolleyes:

I know this one has been the BOTM before, but it's been a few years. A lot has changed since 2008. We have many new members here. Revisiting Weller SR might be good for some of them to read some notes, and maybe buy a bottle or two and give it a try. Or, maybe not. :frown:

To me, Weller SR is a decent bourbon. I'm not saying it's a great pour, but at the same time, it isn't that bad either. I got to thinking a bit. We often times discuss "value pours" here on the site. I think this one kinda gets lost in the shuffle because there are other good values out there to be had too. I would consider Weller SR a fairly good value pour. The price is okay, as is the taste. Yes, the taste might be a tad light, and not as rich or full bodied as it's cousins OWA and Weller 12, but, I'm a fan.

The nose has some of that burnt cookie, caramel/pecan thing going on. Some vanilla too. These are also present in the taste. To me, it's a bit light and sweet, but not overly so. Nice at the start, and in mid palate, but I will have to say that the finish is lacking a little. Still, over all, it ain't too bad. :grin: And yes, I/we know that it lost it's 7 year old age statement a while back. Please, let's not go there here.

Anyway, let's here what you all have to say about Weller Special Reserve.

Thanks, Cheers, and Happy Posting.

Joe

I've got a handle hidden away somewhere, now I've got a reason to find it. WSR used to be my go-to golf flask bourbon. Versatile.

I really enjoy this pour nice caramel and a little spice on the back end. Bottled at 90 proof but not a lot of burn for a $15 bottle.

I'll add my voice against the grain here, too. I LIKE WSR! The nose takes a backseat to very few in it's price range, the palate is good for a lower proof offering and it's reliable. I always have a bottle open on my shelf.

This one sorta hangs back in the house while the others are out at the lawn party greeting guests. No, not what it once was but that can be said about a number of others. Solid Bourbon, certainly worth trying.

Totally solid. I picked up a bottle of this to stash at my in-laws' a couple of years ago to drink since I knew they'd go for others. It's liquid candy and drinkable to a fault. I think it's still a damned good value and worth a try for anyone who hasn't had it before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I need to pick me up one of these.I'm always eyeballin' it at the store,but never pull the trigger,may be about time. At the Binny's meet up,they had a private select of this stuff ,it was my third ranking tastiest bourbon of that night.

Totally solid. It's liquid candy and drinkable to a fault. I think it's still a damned good value and worth a try for anyone who hasn't had it before.

Pretty much. I have a couple bottles I keep around for "easy" drinking. I prefer it over Maker's (not that Maker's is bad.)

I remember picking up a bottle on a whim a couple months ago, but it looks like I finished it sometime between then and now. It wasn't particularly memorable, but I enjoyed it enough to reach for it on a regular basis. I brought it out a couple times when we had friends over for various events, and no one complained. It is a bit light, and a bit sweet, but I enjoy that from time to time. The finish is a little short, but I think it works for what it is. If I sit down to enjoy a glass of whiskey, this is not going to be high on my list. If I am talking to friends while preparing dinner, or playing cards, it is a pretty solid choice. I know "inoffensive" may not seem like high praise, but I think it is complimentary when we are talking about a cheap 90 proof whiskey.

I know Joe said not to go there, but right now I am drinking a glass of the 7 yr old, and it is delicious. I may have another one after this.

Not a regular pour but it is ok for what it is. I prefer WL12 and OWA. I do have some WSR 7 year which is pretty good. Even for the price, there are other options that I prefer.

I occasionally go to nearby bars to see a friend's band play, and in those cases I always go for the WSR, and it never disappoints. I once had a MM and WSR back-to-back, and the WSR tasted much better to me that night. I'm so glad that WSR is a regular staple at the bars around here.

I'll admit that I'm not really a fan. I tend to prefer rye bourbons over wheaters (although not exclusively), and think if I had $12 (or whatever the going rate is today) in my pocket - I'd be more likely to pick up EWBL. I do think it is a good value pour, especially for wheater fans (as the next step up with Larceny or MM will cost you quite a bit more by comparison), and for that reason - I'm glad it is still around. Who knows - I may draft to the wheat side at some point :)

First time I've ever had a negative post about a BOTM. Just not a fan of this. For me it's not a bad bourbon it's just a blah one.

I wouldn't turn it down if a friend offered a glass and that's all he had but then I wouldn't buy again even at $9.99.

Now I'll shut up and continue to read some favorable comments from members that I respect for their opinions and try to determine what they taste in this bourbon that I don't.

First time I've ever had a negative post about a BOTM. Just not a fan of this. For me it's not a bad bourbon it's just a blah one.

I wouldn't turn it down if a friend offered a glass and that's all he had but then I wouldn't buy again even at $9.99.

Now I'll shut up and continue to read some favorable comments from members that I respect for their opinions and try to determine what they taste in this bourbon that I don't.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. There just isn't anything that makes me want to buy that second bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankly, this whiskey bores me to tears. Not much nose, not much taste, and not much finish, for me. It is simply too diluted at 90 proof. Where Weller shines for me at 107, it drinks totally flat at 90. If I could get a seat at the big BT boardroom table, I'd propose 86ing this iteration, and redirect the barrels to OWA. FWIW, I'd also shitcan the Weller 12, and only have the OWA, but at a solid 7-8 yr min age (I wouldn't go totally crazy by asking for the sole offering yo be 10 yr @ 100 proof...:D).

I only sell plastic in my spare time...:lol:

Pour it in a Lot B bottle and you would get rave comments from your friends.

Frankly, this whiskey bores me to tears. Not much nose, not much taste, and not much finish, for me. It is simply too diluted at 90 proof. Where Weller shines for me at 107, it drinks totally flat at 90. If I could get a seat at the big BT boardroom table, I'd propose 86ing this iteration, and redirect the barrels to OWA. FWIW, I'd also shitcan the Weller 12, and only have the OWA, but at a solid 7-8 yr min age (I wouldn't go totally crazy by asking for the sole offering yo be 10 yr @ 100 proof...:D).

I only sell plastic in my spare time...:lol:

I have had a couple SB WSR 90's that I've enjoyed but I pretty much agree with you Joe for the most part. BT IMO is making financial decisions vs. product quality decisions. We can talk more about this in a couple weeks at the Gazebo...see you and Jimmy there! ;)

For those of us that can't make to the Gazebo would to see some notes of your BT discussion if you don't mind posting them.

I guess I'm in the camp that says there's nothing wrong with WSR, but I much prefer OWA or W 12. I could easily go buy WSR locally at many stores. The others, I haven't seen for a long time. I'm afraid to open the few I have saved, for fear they will never return, come back in some diminished form, big price bump, or some combination.

Pour it in a Lot B bottle and you would get rave comments from your friends.

This. This. This.

And I'm not even pointing fingers at anyone else: it'd probably fool me in the right situation. Blind tastings are beartraps.

Well since I've never had lot B you might get me on that one but then again maybe I wouldn't enjoy lot B either.

I have had Lot B, and won't buy another bottle. Not that it was bad or awful, but I just didn't get the kind of value out of it the price commands.

If Joe sneaks into the BT Board room though, don't have them kill W12 . . . unless they issue "Weller Special Blend" (or simply Weller SB . . . has a nice ring to it!), which might use some 12 yr old wheated and 7 year old wheated . . . heck, let 'em play with the proof a bit (ideally the end result is north of 100, but who knows how W12 at a higher proof would mingle with OWA).

This is one I've never tried because I get so much mileage out of OWA and Weller 12 either on their own or in the SB blend.

Has anyone had any successful vattings of WSR with either of the above or something else? That might convince me to try a bottle.

Oh heck.....who am I trying to fool. This is an eminently affordable bottle and it's not like I'm afraid to spring for something new. Time to buck up.

WOW a BOTM I have!! I bought a WSR early in my tour of bourbondom after reading all the raves from Weller fans. I got it for 9.99 and have had several neat pours. WSR is educational I'll give it that. I learned the meaning of (in bourbon terms) "young and hot", the opposite of what I historically associated with those terms. I also learned that I like W12 much more, the rough edges mellowed with the additional age even at the higher proof and how that age developed flavor absent in its younger sibling. I quickly stopped consuming WSR as a neat pour, instead it is my go to mixer for visitors that wish to combine their whisky with soda. Neat I just find SR too harsh without enough depth of flavor to be of interest. I agree with Joe, keep this stock in the barrel longer and put it to better use, I can find plenty of other inexpensive mixers.

I have only had the NAS WSR so perhaps the age stated version was a different beast.

All that said I am glad to have had it as it was a building block toward defining my personal preferences. WSR is not my thing on its own but the low cost to A/B with W12 or OWA is well worth the time.

I have one of those odd-duck new shape bottles with the age statement and let me tell you what, the presence of that number didn't alleviate the heat. It was like you early on in my journey and nearly turned me off from the Weller line entirely.

Its still at my in-laws, I'll have a nip whenever I'm there, hoping it has mellowed with airtime, but it hasn't yet.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.