BOTM 4/14: Weller Special Reserve

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've had a number of store selection bottles, both NAS and age stated, that to me were very good. Sure, a little higher proof would be welcome but these were all very flavorful and far from being bland.

That being said, today I passed up 2 bottles of age stated that were $26.99 each. Seems like the store was trying to cash in on that "7" on the label

Frankly, this whiskey bores me to tears. Not much nose, not much taste, and not much finish, for me. It is simply too diluted at 90 proof. Where Weller shines for me at 107, it drinks totally flat at 90. If I could get a seat at the big BT boardroom table, I'd propose 86ing this iteration, and redirect the barrels to OWA. FWIW, I'd also shitcan the Weller 12, and only have the OWA, but at a solid 7-8 yr min age (I wouldn't go totally crazy by asking for the sole offering yo be 10 yr @ 100 proof...:D).

I only sell plastic in my spare time...:lol:

Shitcan all of it and reinstate the 10/100!

FWIW, WSR is nice, but not meaningfully cheaper than OWA where I am ($18 vs $22, abd I find drink enough to feel the difference) so it never makes sense to but it.

I don't think it's different than OWA watered to 90 proof, and I've done the SBS.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I am a big fan of the Louisville WSR7, but the current offering has a heavy astringent note that is really off-putting. I wouldn't turn people away from it, but I would surely recommend the OWA or W12 before the WSR.

The regular age stated Frankfort bottling is better than the NAS bottle based on my experience, but it's been a few years since I have bought any WSR. Might have to pick one up for science in the near future. :D

Hidden
Shitcan all of it and reinstate the 10/100!

FWIW, WSR is nice, but not meaningfully cheaper than OWA where I am ($18 vs $22, and I don't drink enough to feel the difference) so it never makes sense to but it.

I don't think it's different than OWA watered to 90 proof, and I've done the SBS.

I think this one gets overlooked compared to OWA107 and W12, without good reason. I know that higher proof or age trumps this one, but sometimes I find this one to be a great value pour compared to any of the other 90 proof wheaters. If anything, WSR is much, much better than Maker's Mark and at a much lower price point. In fact, I have found Maker's quality to be going downhill while WSR has continued to maintain its sweet and juicy profile, probably because it continues to get overlooked. I really enjoy its profile for when I want to sip on something lighter and think I will have some tonight!

I think this one gets overlooked compared to OWA107 and W12, without good reason. I know that higher proof or age trumps this one, but sometimes I find this one to be a great value pour compared to any of the other 90 proof wheaters. If anything, WSR is much, much better than Maker's Mark and at a much lower price point. In fact, I have found Maker's quality to be going downhill while WSR has continued to maintain its sweet and juicy profile, probably because it continues to get overlooked. I really enjoy its profile for when I want to sip on something lighter and think I will have some tonight!

I'd have to disagree. If we are talking NAS WSR available now and not the 7 year or even the very first NAS stuff they produced, then Maker's is far better than current WSR. Maker's compared to current NAS WSR (maybe 5 years I would guess) is far more complex. Current NAS WSR is astringent, then brown sugar, then nothing..

But of course that is just my two cents.

Shadow of it's former self. Happy that I picked up a couple age stated bottles when the time came.

For some reason, I find this better drinking after another bourbon, and not starting with this. Not sure why, but at times the order of drinking does make a marked difference.

B

I bought a bottle fairly early in my bourbon immersion, and it was one of the first ones I found lacking. Not bad, just bland. After a few tries I decided to experiment, and vatted it with some Bulleit (the bourbon, not the rye). The result was better then either of them individually, at least to my taste buds, which is all that counts (to me).

Recently bought another bottle, it's unopened in the bunker. My bourbon palate is probably a bit more sophisticated now so I thought I'd give WSR another shot on its own. I'm not terribly optimistic though, since I thought it was bland the first time around.

Young and low proof are anathema to wheaters in my humble opinion. You need age, proof or preferably both to make the wheated bourbon really sing. I stashed a 1.5L of this at my folks after I stumbled upon a 7yr age stated version and it's ok as a sippin' whiskey or mixer when visiting. With that said I am on board with Joe and others who suggest bagging this iteration altogether and letting the bourbon age (stated) to the 8-10 yr range and release at 100+ proof. If such a beast existed for $25-30 and was readily available, I would be ecstatic.

I prefer the store select bottles of WSR, but will pick up a standard NAS bottle from time to time. A decent value bourbon, though a little hot/young. Not even vatting it with W12 will smooth out all the rough edges.

I've had a number of store selection bottles, both NAS and age stated, that to me were very good. Sure, a little higher proof would be welcome but these were all very flavorful and far from being bland.

That being said, today I passed up 2 bottles of age stated that were $26.99 each. Seems like the store was trying to cash in on that "7" on the label

Well being only 1 month into my bourbon discovery and sampling phase, I found a Weller SR today in one of the local joints. Pretty shocking, as in pennsylvania I can't find ANY ANY weller's. First time I've even seen any bottle of it, so after seeing it was the BOTM I had to buy it. Haven't cracked it yet, but at 19.99 not a bad buy even if I don't love it.

I'm with BFerguson on this one, I enjoy WSR has a third or fourth pour...to me it's just not appealing as a starter.

While I like the older AS Wellers better, I still think the current NAS WSR at less than $20/1.75 in Georgia is hard to beat ($30+ in SC). I travel down there periodically and buy 6 cases. It's grate for mixing and experimenting and not bad alone. I agree with several of you that I don't usually start with it but often finish with it. I also like to experiment with infusions. Many get thrown out and I don't feel so bad at that price point.

And I must confess that given my 4 brothers-in-law's and many nephew's insistence that I ALWAYS bring a van winkle product for them to mix with Coke at family gatherings, I put it in an old Rip 90 bottle and they are so much happier. They claimed when I brought a handle of WSR that they wouldn't drink that swill.

Edited by Enoch

• 9 months later...

I have read a lot about the Weller Line up a lot in this forum. I bought a bottle, This Is the only Weller line up that is available in Alberta. I can't wait to try it. I have this one bunkered until my EWB is gone.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.