Bourbon chipotle

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Knocked this sauce up today for some lovely fat 1/2 kg (bit over a pound) dry aged t-bones I am going to throw over the coals.

12 chipotle chillis - halved and seeded

2 cloves garlic diced

1/2 white onion sliced

1 bay leave

1tsp salt

1tsp cracked pepper

6tbsp ketchup

2 cups bourbon (i used JD cos it wasnt getting drunk fast enough)

1 cup water

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

Throw all the above in a covered shalllow pan and simmer for an hour, you want the liquid to reduce back to about one cup, discard bay leaf and run the mix through a blender/processor/hand mixer untill it reaches your desired consistency, I like mine velvety and even added a knob of butter to give it a nice gloss.

Sauce done, now a few beers before getting the coals going.

Damn. That sounds fantastic. Gonna file this one away for my future use. Thanks for sharing. :-D

No problems, I saw a post here the other day where someone was looking for a bourbon sauce, sounded like a good idea.

I should add that this is a very savoury sauce, if you like your sauces sweet you can add a little honey during the blending stage, i tried mixing some with honey and mollasses and it worked well, it would work as a nice hot wing marinade this way.

That sounds good as well. I think would like to try it as a pork chop glaze and possibly a salmon glaze.

Just dont do what I did and go to the toilet after deseeding the chipotle, yeh amateur move I know, it had been years since I had done this and I felt very stupid, and very uncomfortable for the next 10 minutes

Just dont do what I did and go to the toilet after deseeding the chipotle, yeh amateur move I know, it had been years since I had done this and I felt very stupid, and very uncomfortable for the next 10 minutes

Hahaha. I feel ya. Years ago I was cutting up some jalapeños for some salsa. Late that night I went into the bathroom to take out my contacts. BIG mistake!! Now I wear some nitrile gloves while preparing anything with hot peppers. Live and learn.

Knocked this sauce up today for some lovely fat 1/2 kg (bit over a pound) dry aged t-bones I am going to throw over the coals.

12 chipotle chillis - halved and seeded

2 cloves garlic diced

1/2 white onion sliced

1 bay leave

1tsp salt

1tsp cracked pepper

6tbsp ketchup

2 cups bourbon (i used JD cos it wasnt getting drunk fast enough)

1 cup water

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

Throw all the above in a covered shalllow pan and simmer for an hour, you want the liquid to reduce back to about one cup, discard bay leaf and run the mix through a blender/processor/hand mixer untill it reaches your desired consistency, I like mine velvety and even added a knob of butter to give it a nice gloss.

Sauce done, now a few beers before getting the coals going.

Interesting. Sounds good

I have a chipotle recipe that I make often. I keep it in the fridge at all times

Two cans of chipotle in adobo with a block of guava paste. Blend with a stick blender until smooth. The guava gives a hint of tropical sweetness and tames the heat a little

I also make pickled chipotles with the little red moritas. Mixed with sliced carrots and onions

Also a staple in the fridge

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.