"Focus on Mastery" - Japan's love affair with American culture (& Whiskey)

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw this in the Smithsonian Magazine:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/how-japan-copied-american-culture-and-made-it-better-180950189/?no-ist

The section on bourbon and how Seiichiro Tatsumi fell in love with American whiskey made an interesting read (dusty hunting tips included to boot).

I wonder if the bottle made for a hotel in KY is for the Seelbach?

Edited by ChainWhip

Interesting read and not surprise. I will try to visit those two bars next time.

The only thing is that it's not just about how old the era it's from but how good it is actually. There is probably a lot of 1904 that taste like crap and other's that would be fantastic. How would one tell or choose. In those bars, maybe if we can talk to the bartender to hone into something one like that would be great.

Likely, I'll be trying something I know something of or read about.

Interesting but the title of the article seems a bit presumptious. In my admittedly limited experience it seems the Japanese have certainly copied American culture and have a rather, umm, intense fascination with it. As a result they have definitely made it different, but "better" is subjective as best. As for bourbon it doesn't appear they have copied it all but rather collected it, at least in the case of the one bar owner described. Is there a Japanese made whiskey that would be considered bourbon if it were made in the U.S like there are for single malts?

From what I have seen the Japanese copy of American culture is often a bit on the odd side and sometimes just plain weird. But not so much better.

Screw caps have different sorts of been around since the mid 1800's. Not sure when they might have first been used on a whiskey bottle but bottle screw caps seem to have been present by at least the 1890's.

Edited by tanstaafl2

You're correct Bruce, 1880s is the period I came up the only time I did some research on screw top closures. It would've been more costly though than the standard liquor bottles of the day (1904) and it seems unlikely Bourbon producers would've gone to the additional expense.

Interesting though the guy built up his collection from back roads liquor stores, wonder how long ago he was dusty hunting.

You're correct Bruce, 1880s is the period I came up the only time I did some research on screw top closures. It would've been more costly though than the standard liquor bottles of the day (1904) and it seems unlikely Bourbon producers would've gone to the additional expense.

Interesting though the guy built up his collection from back roads liquor stores, wonder how long ago he was dusty hunting.

Is there a Japanese made whiskey that would be considered bourbon if it were made in the U.S like there are for single malts?

Very interesting. Glad the fellow was nice enough to still leave behind some good stuff!

But, the 5th story on the page about the Russian family that was cut off from civilization for 40 years was astonishing!

Not a bourbon that i know of....but close. Nikka Coffee grain, is corn whiskey made on a coffee still. Pretty darn tasty juice.

Of course it can be said the Japanese do make Bourbon, Jim Beam, Makers, Four Roses and a few others.

I didn't care much for the use of the word "better" in the title either... regardless, there's a sense of craftsmanship and respect for the subject that can't be understated. It's just interesting to me to see another facet of how American whiskey is revered and enjoyed far beyond our shores.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.