Ardbeg Supernova Returns

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2NxakJI.jpg

Credit where credit is due

I have yet to taste the earlier bottlings of Supernova, but color me interested. Given that at least part of the whisky is sherried, it seems likely that it will bear at least a passing resemblance to Uigeadail. I strongly prefer Ardbeg 10 and Corryvreckan to Uigeadail, but it is certainly good whisky. I actually think the higher PPM malt used in this vs. Oogie might swing Supernova more toward my taste preferences. I guess the real question is, will this "Committee" release precede a wider release ala Alligator, or will they be keeping it in the family?

Peat and sherry go together like peanut butter and jelly. This sounds like Ardbeg Day, which is my favorite Ardbeg. Just a little worried that this will come in north of the $125 SN2010 was rather than in the $90 range Day was.

Peat and sherry go together like peanut butter and jelly. This sounds like Ardbeg Day, which is my favorite Ardbeg. Just a little worried that this will come in north of the $125 SN2010 was rather than in the $90 range Day was.

I'm probably exposing my ignorance of the scotch industry here, but how did you get ahold of Ardbeg Day? My understanding of it was that it was a Festival only release that didn't make it too far off Islay.

At any rate, if Supernova is at all attainable and under around $150, I will at least consider buying if the reviews are good.

Ardbeg Day, along with Alligator and Ardbog were made available for US distribution. With the exception of Ardbog, the others didn't last very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ardbeg Day, along with Alligator and Ardbog were made available for US distribution. With the exception of Ardbog, the others didn't last very long.

Interesting. I didn't see a single bottle of Ardbeg Day out in MD. We typically get a significant quantity of the Ardbeg limited releases.

I had to purchase mine online from NJ. I never saw any in Ohio.

I bought one off the shelf in Chicago. By the time I realized I loved it, it was long gone. Thankfully, I was recently able to obtain two more through trade.

I tried an Ardbeg Feis Ile @ our last PacNW shindig and it knocked my socks off - cask strength Ardbeg matured in PX... Whisky PB&J as Aaron put it - I'm hoping this new SuperNova shares the same profile as that Feis bottling.

• 2 months later...
Interesting. I didn't see a single bottle of Ardbeg Day out in MD. We typically get a significant quantity of the Ardbeg limited releases.
Just to reinforce this point: I walked into my local bottle shop today and saw Galileo, Ardbog, and Auriverdes all hanging out on the shelf together. I keep hoping the owners will start discounting the Galileo to get rid of it. I really enjoyed that one, up to and including the silly packaging. I don't $129.99 like it, though.

I'm really hoping to hear more about the 2014 Supernova release soon, since my big purchase today sort of ate up about 80% of the rest of my annual scotch budget.

Just to reinforce this point: I walked into my local bottle shop today and saw Galileo, Ardbog, and Auriverdes all hanging out on the shelf together. I keep hoping the owners will start discounting the Galileo to get rid of it. I really enjoyed that one, up to and including the silly packaging. I don't $129.99 like it, though.

I'm really hoping to hear more about the 2014 Supernova release soon, since my big purchase today sort of ate up about 80% of the rest of my annual scotch budget.

I'm looking forward to SN2014 too - hopefully more details will be available soon. I can't think of much that interests me among the fall releases but this and the HW MWND certainly qualifies.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard this could be a mid-late fall release. Anyone else hear similar? Can't wait, if I can get enough of it I may use it as cologne for the first week!

I heard this could be a mid-late fall release. Anyone else hear similar? Can't wait, if I can get enough of it I may use it as cologne for the first week!

You need all the help you can get there... Eau de Oogie hahah

• 3 weeks later...

I actually really liked the Ardbog, I liked the Day, but thought the Alligator and Galilio were unimpressive. Have open bottles of all so I guess I will revisit.

Still have an open SN 2009 (I'm on my third bottle) so look forward to comparing.

Edited by agoldf

I actually really liked the Ardbog, I liked the Day, but thought the Alligator and Galilio were unimpressive. Have open bottles of all so I guess I will revisit.

Still have an open SN 2009 (I'm on my third bottle) so look forward to comparing.

My bottle of Ardbog was quaffable finally after a year of sitting on the shelf for me... Can't wait for this SN2014

My local store is claiming an October/November arrival time for this. I'm not 100% on that, but they at least seem to know it exists.

Oliver Klimek's notes for those interested. Reportedly to be released mid September so could easily be a while before it is available in the US.

Freshly waxed hospital floors? Black Forest Ham? I am thinking maybe there was a very specific herbal component involved in doing this review...

I got the Ardbeg Committee email today. It actually had very helpful info in it, as in the names and contact info for the stores in MD that are getting it. I was able to reserve a bottle from a store that is getting six. I haven't worked with these guys before, but none of my usual haunts seem to be on the list to get it. Their whisky guy took down my name and contact info and said that 3 had been spoken for, but I was guaranteed mine. We shall see. This is probably the last time for awhile that I'll be buying an Ardbeg special release blind, hopefully I don't regret it. Price was $159, and the store thinks they'll be getting it in the next week or two. Marylanders: PM me and I'll pass you the name and contact info of the stores that are getting it.

PS: The author of Dramming often seems to notice herbal notes and Black Forest Ham in Ardbeg, so I wouldn't let that discourage you too much.

Bloggers have received their samples so we should start seeing some feedback (caveat emptor and all that)

I heard this was going to be in the $150 range MSRP, but now I can't find my source. Anyone else know?

I heard this was going to be in the $150 range MSRP, but now I can't find my source. Anyone else know?

I had heard $160.

I was at a dinner with Dr.Bill Lumsden this week. Tasted it - It's got teeth. My memory of it was a little hazy after tasting 5 other whiskies before it, so I'll let more seasoned bloggers post their notes.

Some good info from Dr.Lumsden: This is not going to be the last Supernova. It is in fact, going to be an annual release. I remember something about around 2000 cases being released, of which 500 are coming stateside. Don't quote me on that though - the venue was loud and I'm not sure if I heard those numbers right. Cost will be around $150 retail, but retailers will of course, jack up the price where they see fit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.