Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another Malt that many love sherried, the Foreign Whisky of the Month of May is Mortlach.

I'll talk about one I have open soon, surprisingly I do not believe it is sherry, but a single bourbon cask from SMWS.

Cheers!

Another Malt that many love sherried, the Foreign Whisky of the Month of May is Mortlach.

I'll talk about one I have open soon, surprisingly I do not believe it is sherry, but a single bourbon cask from SMWS.

Cheers!

Thanks VoL! Oh man... I think I need a sample swap!

I have three Mortlachs open: G&M 15yo 43%, 1991 Signatory 18yo CS Binny's barrel and a 1990 Hart Bros 12yo 46%. The Hart Bros was only recently opened, and while it started off with a huge, sherry syrup nose, the palate was definitely closed off. The G&M gets better and better the more air it gets and has evolved a richness that makes me forget its only 43%. The Signatory has the most concentrated flavor and a great balance of sherry wood and Mortie malt.

People talk about meat in regards to Mortlach. I haven't really experienced this. I get a meatiness, but that's more of a textural note relating to mouthfeel than a savory meat thing. Generally speaking, I get more cocoa and spice, vanilla and tin and a nice fatty mouthfeel on them. What I've had is delicate and nuanced but with a depth of flavor that satisfies. I've been meaning to take more formal notes on them. I'll get on it.

Thanks VoL! Oh man... I think I need a sample swap!

Mortlach is a good choice for FWotM! I can open up one of my bottles...and dig into the latter part of a sample that I've been nursing. ;)

GBS will continue our dive into the malt world with our next meetup on the 17th. We'll ravage and plunder Bruce's Mortlach collection and report back on our impressions...Will their MD be the next to Hold the Phone?...:D

Does anybody know which Johnnie Walker expressions utilize Mortlach?

I've actually never tried Mortlach. Binny's has some interesting CS selections that I've passed up a million times. I'll have to remember to pick one up next time.

Tonight I'm going to pop one of the Mortlach F&F bottles that a friend sold me. It will likely be the youngest mortlach I've tried, looking forward to it!

Does anybody know which Johnnie Walker expressions utilize Mortlach?

I have read in a couple places that Talisker and Mortlach are the major components in Black Label

I have read in a couple places that Talisker and Mortlach are the major components in Black Label

Thx! Make sure you knock TequilaTourist on his @$$ for me next time you see him ;)

Wow! What a strange nose and palate on this dram. I can now see why people call it "meaty", it just has an old flavor to it that I can't really identify but I guess "meaty" works. With a drop of water that flavor smooths out a little and I get some smoke? It's a smoke that I've never tried before but seems in the same league as the AW Glendronach 1993 olorosso, more of an earthy smoke. I don't know, what an interesting dram.

post-9128-14489820859932_thumb.jpg

Edited by MtnDew

Thx! Make sure you knock TequilaTourist on his @$$ for me next time you see him ;)

Told you it was a good month for Mortlach to be FWotM. :)

I've got a 15, 25 and a couple of 22 samples that I'm going to dig into on a night TBD.

Told you it was a good month for Mortlach to be FWotM. :)

I've got a 15, 25 and a couple of 22 samples that I'm going to dig into on a night TBD.

Well, thanks to a *VERY* generous SB'r, I'm groovin' on some K&L Faultline Mortlach 25 - 60.6%, #987

14169584673_b5fd244edd_z.jpg

It's like Mortlach & Rosebank had a baby... well done to the crew @ K&L, Mortlach, et. al!

Edited by ChainWhip

I need to revisit it again, but this Mortlach 15-year-old SMWS 76.82 was really impressing me a few weekends ago when I tried it a couple times one night. It appears to have only been bottled in the 100ml introductory sample size in the SMWS welcome kit which is a real shame as I'd love to have bottle of it to work through.

Edited by Virus_Of_Life

GBS will continue our dive into the malt world with our next meetup on the 17th. We'll ravage and plunder Bruce's Mortlach collection and report back on our impressions...Will their MD be the next to Hold the Phone?...:D

After our Deep Dive on Saturday night, GBS is pleased to report that our overall impression of Mortlach is pretty good. A few iterations were tasted, but the 22yr seemed to really shine for most members. However, there was a member, or two, who once after picking up stewed prunes in its profile, began a sprint to the lavatory, thinking it was morning...:D. Keep that in mind y'all for your future retirement years...

Nice to have a reason to look into what was an unknown whiskey to me, in this FWOTM.

After our Deep Dive on Saturday night, GBS is pleased to report that our overall impression of Mortlach is pretty good. A few iterations were tasted, but the 22yr seemed to really shine for most members. However, there was a member, or two, who once after picking up stewed prunes in its profile, began a sprint to the lavatory, thinking it was morning...:D. Keep that in mind y'all for your future retirement years...

Nice to have a reason to look into what was an unknown whiskey to me, in this FWOTM.

I should probably strap on a set of "Depends" for our next PNW get together then ;)

Which 22yr Mortlach did you guys have?

I should probably strap on a set of "Depends" for our next PNW get together then ;)

Which 22yr Mortlach did you guys have?

Well CW, if you're reaching for the depends, you must already know which one it is!! :lol:

It was the Chieftain's from K&L.

Well CW, if you're reaching for the depends, you must already know which one it is!! :lol:

It was the Chieftain's from K&L.

That's one of my favorite bottlings of Mortlach - if I had better sense back then, I would have bunkered up deep on it.

That's one of my favorite bottlings of Mortlach - if I had better sense back then, I would have bunkered up deep on it.

As would I. The GBS crew put a serious hurt on that bottle!

As would I...

Based on what I saw in your basemen Bruce, it ain't for a lack of tryin'! :D

Based on what I saw in your basemen Bruce, it ain't for a lack of tryin'! :D

True enough! Unfortunately while I have a fairly broad selection it doesn't have much depth and with a bottle like that once you figure out you like it then it can be too late to go back and get any more.

Oh well, I am sure I can find something to divert my attention...

True enough! Unfortunately while I have a fairly broad selection it doesn't have much depth and with a bottle like that once you figure out you like it then it can be too late to go back and get any more.

Oh well, I am sure I can find something to divert my attention...

In general I don't "bunker" for that very reason. There's only so much money in my bank account and always new whiskeys I want to try. However, after trying your Longmorn......

In general I don't "bunker" for that very reason. There's only so much money in my bank account and always new whiskeys I want to try. However, after trying your Longmorn......

K&L Faultline Longmorn?

K&L Faultline Longmorn?

I will neither confirm nor deny until I find a way to get at least one of said bottle home with me.

...but yes, that's the one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.