Tried something new

Chuckafied
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I Have had a Margaritivell liquor chiller for a while. Would always pull it out at party's for Jaegermeister. Thought tonight why not bourbon. Had about four fingers left in a bottle of makers. Thought why not try it. I have been slowly weening my ice down per drink to two cubes. So into the chiller the makers goes. When it hits 15 degrees the machine lights up. Tasted great. Not sure if just putting the bottle in the freezer would do the same. Question is am I changing the flavor profile by chilling it to 15degrees. Anybody else freeze bourbon. I'm definitely a newby to bourbon. Just prefer my bourbon cold but without ice. All feedback welcome. Looking for you guys feedback before throwing some of my nicer stuff in there.

Reducing the temperature dulls the intensity of the nose and the palate, so in that sense you are robbing yourself of some of the experience. Plenty of people like to add ice or chill their whisk(e)y to ease away some of the burn or heat, but I think over time your palate will adjust and that won't be an issue anymore. I am now comfortable drinking high proof spirits neat which, in the past, I would never have been able to do.

Sometimes when friends or family come by I'll offer them a pour. They aren't big whiskey drinkers and as soon as it hits their tongue they grimace and beg for an ice cube, but to me the stuff is honey. As an example, it happened with my old man a couple of weeks back when I poured him (and myself) some Ancnoc 12 year. I didn't notice any heat or burn at all but he disagreed. That said, when it's hot, I sometimes like to add a little ice, stir to chill and then take the ice cubes out. But the main thing is to drink your bourbon however you enjoy it!

I recall a thread "Ice is nice" started by Squire some time back. You can use the search function and find plenty of discussion (and varying opinion) here within the group.

There are several (including me) who have at times enjoyed a bottle out of the freezer. As stated above, however you enjoy it is the appropriate way.

If you love bourbon for the taste and especially the 5 minutes of smelling a good pour you will get past the cooling idea. Seriously you are ruining bourbon in my very uneducated but learning experience of 2 months tasting evey night. The best part is the smell, and if you start small, room temp, and pour a 1 oz pour into a glencairn glass, add about ten drops purified water, and let it sit covered 5 minutes. Then smell the crap out of that pour, which again takes practice to not get burn in your nose. Within a month drinking bourbon this way you sill be stockpiling bottles and realizing you prefer it without the drops of water. I'm not into my barrel proof stash yet but i can imagine ill add more water to start. The smell is half the experience, dont chill. But to each his own just my newb learnings so far. always fine bourbon either way right?

The best part is the smell, and if you start small, room temp, and pour a 1 oz pour into a glencairn glass, add about ten drops purified water, and let it sit covered 5 minutes. Then smell the crap out of that pour, which again takes practice to not get burn in your nose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.