In London for a week

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Greetings! I haven't posted much--if at all--here in the foreign whiskey section, but wanted to a) Say hello! and B) Inquire about any great whisky bars/shops in and around London. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm here for a week and have time to spare, so if anyone has any advice for whisky shopping, I'm all ears!

Is there anything over in the UK that is worth bringing back to the States? Based on the prices I've seen online, the price differential seems negligible to the same products here.

Thanks for any help!

James

Berry Brothers and Rudd? Only one I know of ... see if you can find one of the non-U.S. Blue Hanger releases...

I always make a stop at the Whisky Exchange at the Vinopolis. Focus on scotch but they have a lot of other things. People have talked about Gerry's (74 Old Compton St) as a good place but I have never been.

In looking at online prices, given the abysmal exchange rate, there seems to be little incentive to purchase anything to bring back. But I'll look anyway :-)

The Whisky Exchange is the best, price and selection wise, but Royal Mile, in Bloomsbury, has some good stuff too: http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/. Last I was there they had some first-dump Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, though at a premium. I'd also look for Japanese bottles -- there's still a lot of stuff that doesn't make it here.

The Whisky Exchange is the best, price and selection wise, but Royal Mile, in Bloomsbury, has some good stuff too: http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/. Last I was there they had some first-dump Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, though at a premium. I'd also look for Japanese bottles -- there's still a lot of stuff that doesn't make it here.

Good point about Japanese bottle options. I asked my "mule" who just left for London to look for Nikka Straight from the Barrel and Miyagikyo 15yo (neither of which I have seen here) for me.

Have another who is there who may have come upon the Cooley poitin made from a single pot still mash (the only poitin of that type that I know of) that was supposedly a very limited release. Still trying to get confirmation on that one.

Also, when I was last there and bought a few bottles (OK, a lot of bottles) from Whisky Exchange I got a form from them that allowed me to get the VAT tax back at the airport which is a 20% savings. With pricey bottles that is well worth the extra effort to me!

You can look at the Whisky Exchage website and then let them know what you want in advance and they will make sure it is in the store for you to pick up. They don't always have every bottle readily available in the Vinopolis location due to limited space and may need to bring it from the warehouse.

Yes -- always, always get the VAT rebate form. It basically turns the EU into a duty free shop.

James, I remember you! You are an Indy guy right! I wonder if you can snag something that is available only duty free or overseas like a Four Roses product or Blantons' Gold or Straight from the Barrel. Not that I would know since the only foreign countries that I have been to are Canada and California. :lol:

+1 for the whisky exchange

And yes do yourself a favour and grab a bottle of the nikka from the barrel, exceptional quality and value for the 30 odd pounds.

A couple months ago, I saw a photo that had an Old Joe (Peyton) 375ml and an Old Hickory 12 or 20 yr (can't remember which) bottle. It was taken in a liquor store by someone's parents visiting London. If you see these bottles, please contact me. My grandfather was the manager of Old Joe in the 50s and was the bottling manager of Old Hickory in the 60s and 70s.

James, I remember you! You are an Indy guy right! I wonder if you can snag something that is available only duty free or overseas like a Four Roses product or Blantons' Gold or Straight from the Barrel. Not that I would know since the only foreign countries that I have been to are Canada and California. :lol:

I am certainly going to look! Not sure how much space I will have, but if I do, I will do my best to store a bottle for you. Speaking of which, how many bottles are you allowed to bring back into the US? I'm going from London over to Germany for a few days, so technically it would go from the UK to Germany back to the US.

I am certainly going to look! Not sure how much space I will have, but if I do, I will do my best to store a bottle for you. Speaking of which, how many bottles are you allowed to bring back into the US? I'm going from London over to Germany for a few days, so technically it would go from the UK to Germany back to the US.

Like most things having to do with spirits and US laws the rules are idiotic. I think you are limited to 1 liter per person duty free. Although they rarely seem to care about bringing in a couple of bottles. Of course you can bring in more but you may wish to declare them and pay duty to avoid the risk of confiscation. I don't think the duty is all that much but I don't know for sure as I may have forgotten to declare mine in the past...

Although the last couple of times I traveled they seemed to be checking more closely. It might just be hit or miss. Atlanta had just opened a new International terminal at the time and it wasn't that busy yet so maybe the customs guys were just bored...

So I might declare if I have a large number in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you guys for the recommendations. The Whisky Exchange was great. A relatively small store with a tremendous selection. The overseas-only Blanton's were great, but highly expensive. Roughly $200 for the Silver and about the same for an EH Taylor Straight Rye.

Because of that, I brought home some Yellow Spot, Nikka from the Barrel, and Nikka Coffey Grain. I brought home a couple of small bottles of a 33-year-old speyside, but haven't tried it yet. Luggage weight was a tremendous concern, so I would've bought far more had I not had two weeks worth of clothes on me!

Sorry I was unable to help anyone out. Next time I'll take no clothes and leave room for whiskey instead!

The Whisky Exchange had some amazing products...vintage Ardbegs I'd never seen before, extremely old Macallans, and Japanese stuff I'd never seen nor heard of before. Highly recommend checking them out if you're in the area. They gave me a glass of Glenfarclas 25 just as a thank-you for my suggestions in Kentucky (a few of the guys behind the counter are headed to Buffalo Trace this fall...tried to steer them in the right direction!). Great folks!

Glad you found some decent pickups here. Apologies for the ridiculous prices...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.