Zuidam Millstone 100 Rye

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Interesting to see that SKU is reporting a COLA for Zuidam's Millstone 100 Rye. I have imported several bottles from Europe over the past year or so and highly recommend it. Some of the GBS have had a chance to try it as well. Oddly the label for the US is completely different and in particular does not mention anything about it being 100 months old (8+ years) which the European bottle clearly states.

Makes me wonder if it will be the same whisky. If it is I certainly recommend it. If not then all bets are off. Might be good but then again...

post-8493-14489820883385_thumb.jpg

The COLA label

post-8493-1448982088466_thumb.jpg

And the label from my European import bottle

post-8493-14489820884848_thumb.jpg

Hmm, something is missing from the list of things that make it "Millstone 100"...

I have emailed Zuidam to see if they will tell me if they are dumping young crappy NAS whiskey on us (No, I didn't write my email quite like that!). I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath hoping for a response but you don't know if you don't try!

Pleased to report that Patrick van Zuidam (it is a family business to be sure!) has quickly replied to my query. He indicates that they have no intention of changing the whisky for the US market. Distillation and bottling date will be included on each bottle and I presume that means it will still be at least 100 months old. Still, it is a bit concerning that the proposed label does not state that.

He included a picture of a more current European bottle (700 ml) and it still says 100 months on the label. As you can see the proposed COLA label does not say that. Indeed it is the only thing left off the list.

post-8493-14489820886124_thumb.jpg

Obviously the label has changed as well, getting bigger and going from white to black. I am a little more confident that what we will get here is what I got from Europe. And what I got from Europe was very good indeed.

post-8493-1448982088534_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820885897_thumb.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl2

Let's hope so, this is one of the few I would go to some trouble to obtain.

Just noticed the bottle in his picture is the same month of distillation as mine but was nearly a year older before it was bottled making it a 9+ year old rye. So maybe they don't want people to think it is limited to just 100 months???

post-8493-14489820886928_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18435[/ATTACH]

Any idea when this might be available in the U.S. and the MSRP?

I asked in a follow up email but so far no indication when it will be available. That he responded to my initial email suggests it will get here eventually since a COLA alone doesn't guarantee it will ever show up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.