Family friendly in Louisville

camduncan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We are looking at holiday options for next year, and are considering a stay in Louisville. We'll be traveling as a family with our 6yo daughter, so staying at the airport Best Western East I stayed at last month probably won't work. Has anyone had any experience with affordable family-friendly hotels in Louisville? Doesn't have to be in the center of town, but we would be wanting to head out on the Bourbon for a couple of day trips, as well as seeing the sights of Louisville so ease of access to would be important to.. Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Not exactly sure what amenities you are looking for i.e. "family friendly" but to me a hotel stay in Louisville for a bourbon enthusiast means either the Seelbach or the Brown hotel. Great service, lots of history and great bourbon bars. Other options to consider would include the downtown Marriott and the Galt House. 21C on Main Street is interesting but not sure about 6 year old suitability.

I would choose one of the usual Hampton House type chains near the zoo.

There's two I recommend to friends when they come to town;

Hawthorn Suites Louisville East - sort of behind the two major shopping malls. Makes for easy entertainment since there's a new movie theatre at Mall St Matthews. Two smaller city parks within a short walk, one of which has a pretty large jungle gym setup for kids. Organic grocery store right nearby if you grow tired of restaurant food or want to grab snacks for the road.

Hilton Garden Inn Louisville Northeast - directly behind an outdoor shopping centre (The Summit Louisville). Fairly new property, easy access to freeways....though is at the Far East end of town.

Downtown, while the Science Centre, Slugger Museum etc are located down there, pick the wrong weekend and you'll be crowded out by visitors at the convention centre. And if I'm honest, not a kid friendly area after hours.

I was going to take my 13, 12 and 10 year old kids to Louisville Mega Cavern two months ago. But we wanted to go there in the morning and my wife learned online that their morning and early afternoon sessions were already sold out. We couldn't make it fit our schedule so we didn't end up going but we will go back someday. Check out their website - it looks like they got some kind of cool Christmas light show. If you go there, learn from my mistake. Make sure you order whatever event you wish ahead of time so you don't get denied like I did.

http://www.louisvillemegacavern.com/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.