Which of these bourbons would you buy?

bicktrav
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've got an opportunity to pick up the following bourbons. I have none of these right now. Wish I could buy them all, but can't. So assuming you were in my position, i.e. you had none, which of the following bourbons would you buy? You can choose just one, or list them all in order of preference.

Bookers 25th Anniversary

Eagle Rare 17 Year Cask Strength

Elijah Craig 21 Year Limited

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

2013 Four Roses Single Barrel Limited

Jeffersons Ocean Bourbon

Stagg Jr.

Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye

Weller Larue Bourbon Rare

Willett Single Cask 4 Year

Willett Rare Release 6 Year

Willett Rare Release 7 Year

Willett Rare Release 8 Year

A couple of head scratchers on your list. If there is such a bottle as ER17 at cask strength then grab it now. But I've only ever seen those at 90proof. If the Willetts are older bottlings and say "Gonano" or "Reid and Emerald" those are my picks. If they are current releases then the easy choice for me on the list is the William Larue Weller- assuming that is what you meant to type.

My take is the Bookers is overpriced, the Craigs and Eagle too old and I don't buy NDPs. So my first choice would be the Four Roses Limited followed by the Handy. If the Four Roses weren't a limited edition my choice would be Handy first.

The list is a copy past from an email. I was confused by some of them too. Still, they seem intuitive enough to figure out.

if you took price out of the equation....

#1: Bookers 25th would tie with WFE 8 year

#2 and #3: WFE 7 year and 6 year, respectively.

you guys know what I'd put last....and strangely, its about the only one on that list that is under my $50 price cap.

Edited by 393foureyedfox

If they're at MSRP, I would go for the William Larue Weller and/or the Four Roses SB LE 2013. If they're more than 10-20 bucks above MSRP, I'd probably pass on all of them unless they are on your "holy crap I have to try this at least once before I die" list. At that point, you're chalking it up to a once in a lifetime opportunity cost, and you're going to have to decide what that is worth to you.

William Larue Weller would be my top pick from the list, but it all depends upon what you like. My 2nd pick would likely be the Handy, followed by the Bookers 25th (although that order is based on what I currently have, they might flip if I had another Handy in the bunker).

My top pick would be William Larue Weller (if that's the real name of the offering).

My close second choice would be the 4-R LE, followed by ECBP (then EC 21 if you like quite woody Bourbon, and cost doesn't matter).

All that said; if you could actually get ahold of an Eagle Rare 17 at Cask Strength, I'd grab that first or second. I don't think that one really exists, however.

My top pick would be William Larue Weller (if that's the real name of the offering).

My close second choice would be the 4-R LE, followed by ECBP (then EC 21 if you like quite woody Bourbon, and cost doesn't matter).

All that said; if you could actually get ahold of an Eagle Rare 17 at Cask Strength, I'd grab that first or second. I don't think that one really exists, however.

Eagle rare 17 at cask strength would be older George t stagg.

Eagle rare 17 at cask strength would be older George t stagg.

Exactly! Which is why I told the OP to grab it-you know, if it existed:cool:

If this is at regular retail price (or gift) I would pick the WL Weller 1st, then second place is a toss up between Handy and ECPB. I've tried the Four Roses SB 2014 LE. It was good, but not better than a decent store selected single barrel.

Edited by PaulO

All of them. That's what charge cards are for.

Stole my response.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This list came from a local wine/spirits shop. I've got a friend who works there and sent it to me. All bottles are available at (pretty much) sticker price. I'm not sure why some of the offerings are listed so strangely, e.g. Larue Weller Bourbon Rare for William Larue Weller; maybe they list inventory that way for some reason or other? Also not sure about Eagle Rare 17 Cask Strength. I'll reach out and ask him what that's all about. As of now, my eye is on the William Larue Weller first. Second, I think is going to be Handy, with Eagle Rare 17 third, then ECBP fourth. Don't think I can buy any more than that at the moment. Four Roses would be higher on the list, but I've got a Private Selection Single Barrel and the FR 125 Limited SmB from last year, so I'm pretty stocked on the FR front at the moment. Still, it's tempting. I should also mention that the THH wasn't going to be one of my first choices, but since so many of you are recommending it, I'll likely give it a try. Plus, I don't have much of a rye collection at the moment.

I'm not going to harp on it but you really need to consider getting them all and starting a bunker, especially with the pricing you have.

If you don't a year from now you'll be kicking yourself in the butt. Cheers!

I'm not going to harp on it but you really need to consider getting them all and starting a bunker, especially with the pricing you have.

If you don't a year from now you'll be kicking yourself in the butt. Cheers!

Except for maybe the Jefferson's Ocean. I never had it, so take it with a grain of salt, but the general consensus seems to be that it's not worth the price.

My current collection is ok, but doesn't include any BTACs. I've got Four Roses 2013 Limited Edition 125th Anniversary SmB; Elmer T Lee Commemorative and standard; Four Roses Private Barrel Cask Strength; Eagle Rare; and Weller 12. Could I buy all of the ones available? Theoretically, yes. But that would be nearly a grand of bourbon. That's a whole lot to drop.

My current collection is ok, but doesn't include any BTACs. I've got Four Roses 2013 Limited Edition 125th Anniversary SmB; Elmer T Lee Commemorative and standard; Four Roses Private Barrel Cask Strength; Eagle Rare; and Weller 12. Could I buy all of the ones available? Theoretically, yes. But that would be nearly a grand of bourbon. That's a whole lot to drop.

I'll echo some of the other comments and say grab as many as you can. You won't regret it. That being said, not every single one of them are my favorites and I would skip some. But I would instantly buy these

William Larue Weller

2013 Four Roses Single Barrel Limited

Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Eagle Rare 17

I finished off a bottle of the Elijah Craig 21 and have one in the bunker, but it is pricey and you have to enjoy older bourbons. If the Willetts are older bottlings, they're worth a buy. Bookers 25th is also a great and tasty bourbon in my book, but again pricey for a 10 year.

You know what they say about opinions, but assuming they're all 2013 releases I'd have the WLW near the bottom of the pack and the 2013 Four Roses OBSK as a clear #1.

A fellow member suggested that if I liked ER 17, I should give the 2013 ER 17 a try. I did. FWIW, I thought it was great. Wish I had another. The one I ended up getting from that same member sure didn't last very long. :rolleyes:

Joe

Sounds like a hell of a guy and FWIW mine didn't last very long either.

Great list - The 4R and the BTACs are obviously rare - the question is do you care more about what you'll drink or what other people will think about your collection? I'd push the ECBP to the bottom - but that's my preference. The Willet's could be very interesting - if you can find out where they are from and how they were picked - that might influence my decision to shift them up the chart. I'd ask your friend if he can set some of these aside for a month or two while you save up your pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. Nice friend btw - I'd make sure to offer him a sample or two to maintain that friendship. What comes around goes around.

2013 Four Roses Single Barrel Limited, I love this! Drank some a couple nights ago and its great, but I'm in the small minority that likes this better than the 2013 Small Batch LE

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.