Sign in to follow this  
Old Dusty

Willett 2yr Rye

theglobalguy

Fully intend to pick one up. At the least happy to support someone distilling their own product.

It makes you wonder if the bottling capacity problems for the store selections have caused them to pull back to what they feel builds the brand best. Seems that a giant run of 2 yr Rye would chew up more capacity relative to profit than $50-100 WFE bottles.

BFerguson
Fully intend to pick one up. At the least happy to support someone distilling their own product.

It makes you wonder if the bottling capacity problems for the store selections have caused them to pull back to what they feel builds the brand best. Seems that a giant run of 2 yr Rye would chew up more capacity relative to profit than $50-100 WFE bottles.

Big assumption that they have a lot of stock left. Just looking at what is out there, and comparing it to what use to be available not that long ago, they may just not have much on hand to

Their job now is to focus on their own distillate and product line I order to make sure that it is as good as what they have sourced in the past.

But, what do I know?

Anyway, I'd be den for a bottle or two of this to try. I do have a older Willett 2yr that would be neat to compare against.

B

theglobalguy
Big assumption that they have a lot of stock left. Just looking at what is out there, and comparing it to what use to be available not that long ago, they may just not have much on hand to

Their job now is to focus on their own distillate and product line I order to make sure that it is as good as what they have sourced in the past.

But, what do I know?

Anyway, I'd be den for a bottle or two of this to try. I do have a older Willett 2yr that would be neat to compare against.

B

Not to drift, but was referring more to cases where a store has already sampled and chosen.....then been put on hold for a year or more.

Kyjd75

Bought a bottle of it today at the Willett GS. First day it had been offered for sale. $35. Apparently selling pretty fast. The GS was fairly busy (for Willett).

Photos attached (I hope):

post-8261-14489820956506_thumb.jpg

post-8261-14489820957095_thumb.jpg

post-8261-14489820957652_thumb.jpg

post-8261-14489820987612_thumb.jpg

sutton
Bought a bottle of it today at the Willett GS. First day it had been offered for sale. $35. Apparently selling pretty fast. The GS was fairly busy (for Willett).

Very nice! Any information on the %rye in this mash bill?

nd2005

I'm still sad the wax is gone :(

theglobalguy
I'm still sad the wax is gone :(

nd2005
As someone who's come close to using a chainsaw on prior bottles....i....am...not. :cool:

Kyjd75

First tasting impressions: easily drinkable neat, even at 109.4 proof. Youth is obvious with absence of significant wood flavors. However, still pretty darn good. Eerily reminds me of RedBreast 12 as to color, nose and especially finish. Overall, I would say it is surprisingly good, and additional age ought to make it outstanding. Would like to know the mashbill, as it does not seem to have the rye content of a 95-100 % rendition.

Harry in WashDC

Do you know if all the rye will have a green top & the bourbon a purplish? These color-coded Willetts are confusing to this old faht.

amg
First tasting impressions: easily drinkable neat, even at 109.4 proof. Youth is obvious with absence of significant wood flavors. However, still pretty darn good. Eerily reminds me of RedBreast 12 as to color, nose and especially finish. Overall, I would say it is surprisingly good, and additional age ought to make it outstanding. Would like to know the mashbill, as it does not seem to have the rye content of a 95-100 % rendition.

nd2005
Do you know if all the rye will have a green top & the bourbon a purplish? These color-coded Willetts are confusing to this old faht.

Green is for the rye. Otherwise no rhyme or reason to the colors - it's the choice of whomever purchases the barrel. No clue if this will change now that they've moved to foil

amg

Just got word that this hit central Indiana this week. I'm gonna try to pick one up tomorrow.

PaulO

That's good news. I just hope I see it at a retailer that doesn't gouge customers. At near the gift shop price, I would definitely try it.

amg

I paid $38.99. Price was in line with this store's markup on most whiskeys. PM me if you'd like details.

flahute

I was at the gift shop last Friday and they told me that going forward all ryes will have the green foil top and all bourbons the purple foil top (to match the family crest colors).

Basically, the multi colored wax was too confusing. They said they were always getting calls from people asking for "the one with the (insert color here) wax" but no information regarding age or barrel #.

BootsOnTheGround
Very nice! Any information on the %rye in this mash bill?
Would like to know the mashbill, as it does not seem to have the rye content of a 95-100 % rendition.

X3.

Is it some secret? No one will answer this.

amg

flahute
X3.

bananaslug

This is $59 with shipping for me. Wondering if I'll be kicking myself next year if I never got to sample their first offering...

$43.99 at K&L:

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1167953

I ordered a bottle. Eager to try and happy to support one of the good guys.

MauiSon

You'll be kickin' yerself for buyin' @ $59, more likely.

drew_kulsveen
X3.

It's about an 80/20 blend of the high rye to low rye.

74% Rye / 11 % Corn/ 15% Malt

51% Rye / 34% Corn / 15% Malt

sutton

Very interesting Drew, thanks for responding. Looking forward to finding a bottle.