Barrel-Aged Sriracha

bicktrav
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw a link to this recently and was intrigued. Barrel-aged Sriracha sounds like an unbelievable idea, but the video on Kickstarter states that they age the sriracha in whiskey barrels for 1 month. Can any barrel-flavor be imparted in just one month of aging? I'm skeptical, but hope it's as good as the idea sounds. What do you all think?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/657999288/sosu-barrel-aged-sriracha

Isn't this how Mcilhenny has been making their Tabasco brand? (Yes, recognize it's not Sriracha).

Yes, it is. Incidentally, I recently read that Tobasco is coming out with their own Sriracha. Not sure whether it will be barrel aged though.

Didn't know that Tabasco was barrel aged. Interesting. I think adding the barrel notes to sriracha could be insanely good, but 1 month in the barrel just doesn't seem like enough time to accomplish that.

They let the pepper mash age 3 years I believe in ex bourbon barrels, though I think they de-char the staves somehow. The peppers ferment in the barrels.

About 12-13 years ago somebody tried "finishing" scotch in old Tabasco barrels. The result was very hot and undrinkable. However, the entrepreneurs ended up bottling it in small bottles called "Hot Scotch" and marketed it as a condiment. Supposedly it was very good in place of malt vinegar on fish and chips.

Yes, Tabasco is aged in oak barrels for three years. Stopping by Avery Island for a visit is worth the time.

Damn, I'd buy that for my collards.

I was a whiskey geek even back then but it didn't make it this side of the pond.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.