Heads up on alternative to glencairn glasses

jmj_203
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I checked an email from a wine enthusiast site a few weeks back (from my wifes activities online) and after perusing their glassware they had many whiskey glasses. Just wanted to give a heads up. They currently (or did a week ago) have a set of 4 stolzle whiskey glasses, which after using for a week are just glencairn shape exactly with a stem, for 19.99 a 4 pack. They are on sale knocked down from around $45 per 4 pack, I forget the original price but it was just above half off. I enjoy a good deal to stock my glasses for visit nights. They are maybe a bit thinner in the tulip shape with glass, and yeah the neck is always a fragility concern with stress points, but 28 for 4 glasses and shipping puts them slightly below glencairn cost. and the experience is exact, if not easiear to swirl to get a quick aroma blast. check them out, I bought 8 in case I get bourbon fingers and drop a few. Or my wife washes dishes...we have plastic plates and cups for a reason.

post-11142-1448982099221_thumb.jpg

Edited by jmj_203

Yeah I figure stems are too fancy or keep people from buying, its just a cheaper option for home use if you want glasses that are about half the cost of glencairns. Would be good for a bar though, or restaurant ;-)

Those look pretty, but I'm afraid I would break them too easily. I've yet to break a Glencairn (which by typing this text, increases my odds of breaking my first by a factor of 7, at least!), but I've knocked a few over. We used to hit thrift stores though to pick up glasses that served well enough for nosing (and often at a bargain) until my loving parents gifted me a set of Glencairns. And while I know a lot of people use them only for serious tastings - I probably use mine for most of my pours if only because I have a fair idea of how much I've poured!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for something like that. Where did you buy them?

• 1 month later...
Stems are to fancy for me. Good for swirling though. Ty

Stemless white wine glasses work well. Big enough for a really decent pour and tapered enough for nosing.

Oh yeah, wine glasses work fine, the basic styles were designed for nosing and tasting.

Stems are to fancy for me. Good for swirling though. Ty

Likewise, Kevin . I bailed out on stems years ago.

My favorite glasses are this exact profile by Riedel.

But I like for the glass or crystal to be thinner.

We can call them "fancy", but for the most part these glasses cost less than a good pour at a bar.

tbt

• 8 months later...
I struggle with stemed whiskey glasses, I cant settle into the la-z-boy with something so unstable!

I'm not allowed to even drink wine from a stemmed glass...:lol:....we only drink red, that, mixed with stems and me, are bad for the furniture.

We have stemless red wine glasses for that purpose, but they seem a little big to me for bourbon. Maybe I need to try again. I normally sip my bourbon from a rocks glass (either neat or with one ice "block") - but for tasting new stuff....I need to find something tulip shaped that works for me I guess.

Edited by VolForLife

I seem to not get into trouble when I use the fat bottom glasses. :grin: Libby perfect something or another...

I'm not allowed to even drink wine from a stemmed glass...:lol:....we only drink red, that, mixed with stems and me, are bad for the furniture.

We have stemless red wine glasses for that purpose, but they seem a little big to me for bourbon. Maybe I need to try again. I normally sip my bourbon from a rocks glass (either neat or with one ice "block") - but for tasting new stuff....I need to find something tulip shaped that works for me I guess.

Stemless red wine glasses are anywhere from 17-22 ounces (that's if you fill it to the rim, I guess). Stemless whites are around 11-13 oz. That's what I prefer (mostly 'cuz that's what I have around). But I've also seen 7-8 oz. spirits glasses in that same shape. Not sure if someone like Reidel has a "fancy" one, but I've seen inexpensive ones ($2-$3, I think) at Crate & Barrel's website.

Speaking of Crate and Barrel, I've been using the Lewis Rocks Glass from there for a while and really like them. Solid feel to the glass with a decent weight on the bottom. The flare out at the top works well for me and the glass is big enough to hold an ice ball. For me, nice alternative to the glencairn. Alas, they are clearanced on the website (but at a great price!) so it's probably time to grab a few extra as they will soon be gone.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/lewis-rocks-glass/f47521

post-10580-14489822325535_thumb.jpg

post-10580-14489822325013_thumb.jpg

post-10580-14489822325013_thumb.jpg

post-10580-14489822325535_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ravensfire
use not-so-massive image

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.