Texas law revisited

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ooops, saw the copyright note. Front page of dallasnews.com has the article. You might not be able to read it if you aren't a DN member, though.

To paraphrase, Texas liquor stores want to revisit a law that hasn't been enforced (they want to get it enforced more), that being that stores have to reside in Texas to have a Texas license. The point being to keep out-of-state stores like Total Wine from opening stores in Texas...

In other words, Spec's doesn't like this competition one bit. Take your ball and go home.

Edited by dcbt

Not surprising. Texas already gets way more quantity and way more unavailable in every other state bourbons. Im sure theres a reason. What other state has the prices and overflow of W12, OGD114, etc. You guys have no idea the rest of us are like wtf do they get the special treatment for? But thank god you can keep those grimy total wine buggers from entering the scene.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/20140620-texas-liquor-stores-ask-a-court-to-clarify-who-can-sell-alcohol-in-the-state.ece

Here is the link I found. This is no different than many other industries these days. Forget beating your competition with better service, pricing, selection, knowledge . . . just box them out using Government favors and connections.

As for the selection in TX, face the reality that by the latest census it's the second largest state population wise in the US with a very solid economy. I'd send my product there as well, and in good quantity. If you'd like to see that change in PA, I'd get behind the privatization of the industry and get the state out of it. Beyond that, your states website makes it very easy to clean out the good stuff.

I posted on Texas laws on this site before, but the Texas code has all kinds of protectionism built in for existing stores. We tout ourselves as a pro business state, but when it comes to booze the opposite is true.

-Texas is a three tier state. As with other 3 tiers systems, the manufacturer, wholesaler, and retailer are prohibited from any overlapping ownership - with one exception - that if the business existed and were permitted prior to 8/24/1935. In Texas, Glazer's, a wholesaler, has been in business prior to this and I think this exception was written for them.

-No package store (retailer) may be owned by a corporation, unless that store was owned by such prior to 4/28/1995.

-Also, no individual may own more than 5 stores unless they held these prior to 5/01/1949.

my old thread - http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?19519-Texas-has-some-weird-alcohol-laws-how-about-your-state/

I posted on Texas laws on this site before, but the Texas code has all kinds of protectionism built in for existing stores. We tout ourselves as a pro business state, but when it comes to booze the opposite is true.

Texas is demonstrating a pro business attitude here, Wade. It's a pro Texas business state!!! :lol:

Not surprising. Texas already gets way more quantity and way more unavailable in every other state bourbons. Im sure theres a reason. What other state has the prices and overflow of W12, OGD114, etc. You guys have no idea the rest of us are like wtf do they get the special treatment for? But thank god you can keep those grimy total wine buggers from entering the scene.

We get Weller, but that is about the only perk. Store private barrel selections simply don't exist in this state. We have one or two individuals who have purchased as many barrels on their own, as all of the stores put together.

We get Weller, but that is about the only perk. Store private barrel selections simply don't exist in this state. We have one or two individuals who have purchased as many barrels on their own, as all of the stores put together.

What he said. We don't get much other than average stuff here.

And the store selects I have seen here are pretty boring. All two of them. (Spec's JDSB and Sigel's WRDO.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.