What bourbon do you think is bad quality? Gut rot bourbon? WT101 story

thunderhead357
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am new to this crazy, mixed-up world of bourbon, but OF Sig and WT 101 are my current favorites. However I can easily get more WT 101 while Old Forester is hard to find around here. There's something to be said for availability.

That's just a problem that needs to be fixed :)

I need to do a side by side, but I think I choose OF Sig over current Turkey. I know I choose HH6 BIB but that's really a moot point considering distribution. I will take various other lower proof things over WT at the same price as well.

And I think that Wild Turkey was the best bourbon distillery that ever was. I could drink WT8 until the cows come home. So I'm sad that I'm comparing its successor with anything at all.

You may recall that I started that "WT101 is pretty good" thread a while back so I'm in the same boat as Fox.

if you make it out to Seattle this summer, bring a little sample and I'll buy you a nice pour of something good to make it worth your while.

My first experience with WT, like a lot of people, was in college. I had not developed a taste for anything other than getting drunk. Fast forward to my adult bourbon drinking years and I really enjoy WT101. Inexpensive, readily available in CT (not exactly the leader of the bourbon world), and consistent while maybe not spectacular. I like it neat or sometimes on ice! I always have a bottle in rotation.

You may recall that I started that "WT101 is pretty good" thread a while back so I'm in the same boat as Fox.

if you make it out to Seattle this summer, bring a little sample and I'll buy you a nice pour of something good to make it worth your while.

I hope that happens... In any case I can send one up with ChainWhip; he'll be down here this weekend.

I hope that happens... In any case I can send one up with ChainWhip; he'll be down here this weekend.

Thanks man!

Good luck on those daredevil descents in your near future!

Thanks man!

Good luck on those daredevil descents in your near future!

I'm scared but I will make him climb

I think of WT101 as a respectable bourbon. For the money, low $20s around here, it's a good value. WT81 is interesting in its own right too. I also like WT Rye. Considering the limited selections of bourbons in my area (I would have to travel to Champaign, IL to get to a large-scale liquor store such as Binny's), WT101 is a staple bourbon. It doesn't impress, but it gets the job done.

As for rotgut bourbons, I think about Ten High and Old Crow. It's a shame Old Crow isn't as good as it once was considering how it was supposedly the bourbon of choice way back when in the late 1800s.

Unlike the dude you talked to, price doesn't impress me. If you go by that mindset, you're going to miss out on excellent values like Very Old Barton, Four Roses Yellow Label, Weller Special Reserve, Elijah Criag, and Evan Williams Single Barrel. Heck, I picked up a bottle of Rebel Reserve the other day and have enjoyed that sub-$20 bourbon.

Gimmicky names make me wary though, which is why I can't bring myself to purchase John B. Stetson bourbon. I look at it on the shelf and think, "I might buy this if it didn't have such a stupid name." And don't get me started on this Devil's Cut nonsense.

There's nothing wrong with WT101 and plenty right about it. Granted, it's not what it was 20 years ago, but neither are any of the other major bourbons, really. As with any product made from nature, whiskey changes subtly over its lifespan.

However, for something that averages about $20 a bottle and has a spicy rye kick, you're still getting whiskey overseen by the same distiller for something like six decades, still made with liquid yeast propagated in dona tubs, still distilled out and barreled at some of the lowest strengths in the industry, and the distillery is one of only two that specifies the heaviest char available for their barrels. (The other, for the record, is Beam.)

WT101 isn't always my go-to bourbon, but I always keep a bottle of it around just because it's still produced pretty much the way it was a couple of generations ago. I find that hard to beat, really. It's one of those whiskeys that one can always go back to now and then.

Kinda moot to say it's overpriced without quoting the price at which it's overpriced or better choices at the same/lower price.

I wasn't the one who stated that, but I'll bite.

WT 101, 1.75L: $38

EW BiB, 1.75L: $22

FC 103, 750L : $17

I'll take the two options below for basically the same price. I prefer both, price not even in the equation.

That said, I do like WT101.. Find it to be a MM style "safe" option at poorly stocked bars. Gladly select it in a pinch, but it does seem to be priced higher than it should.

I'll give it that, the brand still has recognition. You can serve Wild Turkey at a reception and the guests who are casual consumers still recognize you're not pouring Costco house brand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.