EWBiB or HHBiB?

Quintilian
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After having several glasses of HH6BIB over the last few days Ive come to believe that not only is HH6BIB vastly better than EWBIB, but I personally don't even find the tastes similiar. It seems alot seem to find the tastes similiar, but I find them noticably different.

I would typically take HH6BIB over EWBIB but to throw in another candidate I would put Dant on par with HH6BIB and often prefer it.

On 9/5/2017 at 11:15 PM, Jfletchgu said:

After having several glasses of HH6BIB over the last few days Ive come to believe that not only is HH6BIB vastly better than EWBIB, but I personally don't even find the tastes similiar. It seems alot seem to find the tastes similiar, but I find them noticably different.

Yeah, it's interesting because the HH Master Distiller (Denny Potter) was on The Bourbon Pursuit podcast last month and he said that the standard EW Black Label is running about 5 1/2 years in age.  He didn't comment on the age of EWBIB to my recollection, but I'm wondering if that isn't closer to the 4 year minimum.  Since the EWBIB was introduced roughly as the same time that the 4-year HHBIB was discontinued, I'm thinking it's highly possible that they just took the same juice and re-labeled it under the EWBIB brand.  It makes sense, as the EW brand is probably more marketable than the HH brand in many parts of the country.  I think in most places where the HHBIB has never been available, HH is seen as bottom-shelf swill.  

1 hour ago, Jackinbox said:

Yeah, it's interesting because the HH Master Distiller (Denny Potter) was on The Bourbon Pursuit podcast last month and he said that the standard EW Black Label is running about 5 1/2 years in age.  He didn't comment on the age of EWBIB to my recollection, but I'm wondering if that isn't closer to the 4 year minimum.  Since the EWBIB was introduced roughly as the same time that the 4-year HHBIB was discontinued, I'm thinking it's highly possible that they just took the same juice and re-labeled it under the EWBIB brand.  It makes sense, as the EW brand is probably more marketable than the HH brand in many parts of the country.  I think in most places where the HHBIB has never been available, HH is seen as bottom-shelf swill.  

Probably a bit more convoluted than that even since HH has so many BIB bourbon's on the market, beyond those two there are JWD, JTS Brown & TW Samuels which don't have age statements other than "BIB".

On September 11, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Jackinbox said:

EWBIB has been around for quite a while and was available long before HH Gold BIB disappeared, but was only available in a few markets. EW did go national at about the same time as Gold went away so it's possible that one replaced the other in the portfolio. That said, I don't think the flavor profiles are identical. EW was always the sweeter of the two with Gold having a peppered-corn flavor that I loved. EWBIB, while still enjoyable, tastes like a victim of the boom to me with a younger, more raw character than I remember before it was widely available. JWD and JTSB taste more balanced to me but aren't available around these parts.

We don't get HHBIB here so I am going to Kentucky next month to get some. We don't even have EWBIB here, though it sounds widely available . I did get a bottle of the EW and tried it last night. I thought it was quite good, but only adding a splash of water. It's better than JBBIB. How much is the EW in your area? Cost more than HH?

10 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

We don't get HHBIB here so I am going to Kentucky next month to get some. We don't even have EWBIB here, though it sounds widely available . I did get a bottle of the EW and tried it last night. I thought it was quite good, but only adding a splash of water. It's better than JBBIB. How much is the EW in your area? Cost more than HH?

Here HH is $10ish EWB is $15ish EWBIB is $18ish, JBBIB is $25ish and I like it more than any of those but taste is subjective. My favorite of the available value BIBs available here is JWD but generally I only find it in 175's for $33ish which is fine with me, lasts longer that way! HM and CEHT and OF Whiskey Row BIB round out what is available here labeled BIB bourbon but probably fairly considered more premium products with more premium price points (though HM isn't far off JB BIB)

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

Here HH is $10ish EWB is $15ish EWBIB is $18ish, JBBIB is $25ish and I like it more than any of those but taste is subjective. My favorite of the available value BIBs available here is JWD but generally I only find it in 175's for $33ish which is fine with me, lasts longer that way! HM and CEHT and OF Whiskey Row BIB round out what is available here labeled BIB bourbon but probably fairly considered more premium products with more premium price points (though HM isn't far off JB BIB)

Your prices seem about like ours. JWD is not here , but I  can find it in Chicago, so I may pick it up or wait for the KY trip. BIB are becoming my favorite segment of bourbon.

Just now, cdcdguy said:

Your prices seem about like ours. JWD is not here , but I  can find it in Chicago, so I may pick it up or wait for the KY trip. BIB are becoming my favorite segment of bourbon.

I have been a BIB devotee since a Bernie Lubbers session in 2013 at Beer Bourbon BBQ in NYC. The beautiful thing about picking them up in KY is the prices are fantastic there.  100-107 proof is a sweet spot for me so especially when bottles are well priced in that proof range I will generally take a shot on a bottle. 

• 5 months later...

Just had HHBIB 6 and am shocked at how good this is. At $11 a bottle this may be my new favorite. Cant say one bad thing about it.

Both of these bottled in bond are fantastic especially for the price. I would give the edge to Heaven Hill but maybe only because it's not readily available in my area. Evan Williams is great too.  The real winner as far as I am concerned in bottled in bond is old Barton. Even without the six-year age statement now,it is absolutely delicious. It is now the one I am seeking out. 

Enjoying some HHBIB tonight. Even though I have two more stashed away, and waaaay too many other bottles at home.......it'll be tough being in Bardstown next month and not bring more of it home :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Enjoying some HHBIB tonight. Even though I have two more stashed away, and waaaay too many other bottles at home.......it'll be tough being in Bardstown next month and not bring more of it home :unsure:

If you only have two stashed away you can't go to Bardstown and not buy any. Surely you can find room to stash two more away can't you? 

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

If you only have two stashed away you can't go to Bardstown and not buy any. Surely you can find room to stash two more away can't you? 

LOL. It's not a matter of finding room, it's more of a "what the hell am I doing buying more whiskey?" 

I think I've mentioned before that my kids once said, in front of me no less, something along the lines of "what are we going to do with all of this when he's dead?"

(I already told my son that anything that says Weller on it goes to Fishnbowljoe :) )

11 hours ago, Vosgar said:

LOL. It's not a matter of finding room, it's more of a "what the hell am I doing buying more whiskey?" 

I think I've mentioned before that my kids once said, in front of me no less, something along the lines of "what are we going to do with all of this when he's dead?"

(I already told my son that anything that says Weller on it goes to Fishnbowljoe :) )

That is hilarious! I suspect my bourbon storage will be filled too after next months trip to Kentucky. But there are still many places around the house where I could tuck another bottle or 2 in. I have to keep telling my wife some of these will no longer be made, and the prices will generally be always going up. And it's not like a loaf of bread that's going to go bad. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.